“Not very friendly at all.”
Review of Chatsworth Hotel

Chatsworth Hotel
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Hastings
A TripAdvisor Member
london, uk
Reviewed 7 September 2005

I stayed here in 2002 for two nights.

I was given a single room which I must admit was quite nice.

The window did not close properly or lock at all, and when I complained in a very nice way, I was ridiculed by a certain member of staff there.

I am a paying customer and expect some respect.

Anyway I would not recommend this hotel unless the other ones are full up.

Make sure you see the room first before paying!!!

Stayed: March 2002
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Chatsworth Hotel

Reviewed 24 July 2005

I booked the hotel having read other reviews praising the Chatsworth but it did not live up to the hype. Had I been staying more than 1 night maybe I could have had a room change but for this 1 night I was pretty disappointed. Pokey room 111 had a view over the back street (through a very dirty and birdmessed window), was over the kitchen so we had the noise and smell till late plus the extractor fans rumbling immediately under the window. Was woken after a poor night's sleep at 5.00am by the pigeons roosting on the extractor conduits (why can't the hotel spike and wire it to keep the birds away?). The TV picture was indequate on most channels - is reception that poor in Hastings? Breakfast was cereal and fry up - not a yoghurt or croissant in sight.

I am not a grumpy old man but I could find little to say in favour of the hotel - it was one of my worst hotel experiences. Before another guest moves in they can finish painting the ceiling (half painted is a bit weird), replace the broken toilet roll holder, clean the windows, put some biscuits with the tea making facilities, fit antibird devices to the conduit and ask the staff not to bang doors or empty bottles into the bins after dark.

• Stayed: July 2005
3  Thank KeithLDorset
Reviewed 2 June 2005

Having decided to take a last-minute break for the bank holiday and not having a great deal of choice over the destination or the hotel , my partner & me stayed for 2-nights (28-30MAY) and were most impressed with the experience, especially as the property is billed as only a 2-star.

The Chatsworth proved to be excellent value for money, the management & staff were helpful and friendly and, having pestered them for a room with a double-bed, on arrival we were lucky enough to receive a room upgrade to a family-sized suite on the 1st floor, with a seaview. The bedroom was clean, tea/coffee making facilities were available and the bed was very comfortable. We had a tidy bathroom with fluffy white towels, freebie toiletries and a decent shower over the bath.

The following morning's newspapers can be ordered the previous day, for collection from reception.

On both mornings, the buffet-style breakfast in the hotel restaurant was good, with a choice of fruits & cereals, freshly cooked bacon, sausages, eggs, hash browns, beans. As we sat down, the staff welcomed us and brought tea/coffee as required and a plate of hot toast appeared shortly afterwards.

We didin't get the opportunity to try the hotel's indian restaurant, but the aromas were delicious and the tables were nearly all full both nights of our stay.

Hotel car-parking is limited but there is an underground carpark next to the hotel, charging just £5 for an overnight stay.

Overall, a very pleasant weekend - not 5-star luxury but excellent value for money.

• Stayed: May 2005
4  Thank Carajillo2Sugar
Reviewed 21 April 2005

This hotel probably had its heyday in the 1920s and 1930s, but that is not to say that it is not worth visiting. Service is excellent but we were surprised to find that the manager was not in the hotel at all during a weekend when a major function was taking place, leaving reception staff to deal with any problems. The food is very good, both at dinner and breakfast, which is cooked to order and can be varied if the menu is not to guests' liking. Rooms on the lower floors have been refurbished and look much nicer than those on the upper floors which are due to be redecorated and refurbished as part of an on-going programme of repairs, which are certainly needed. The location could not be bettered, as the hotel is right on the sea-front, within 5 minutes' walk of the shopping centre, and a nice touch was that staff put out the red carpet in honour of guests attending the weekend function. Another plus is that parking in the street (if you can find a space!) is free and unrestricted outside the summer season as the hotel does not have its own car park - though for a fee, parking can be arranged at a nearby hotel during the high season.

• Stayed: April 2005
3  Thank Antal
Reviewed 4 April 2005

My partner and I stayed at this hotel over a Saturday night as we were keen to escape London for the weekend.
The hotel is in a great location right on the seafront, and I have to agree with previous reviews that the breakfast is fantastic. The rooms however are another story. We were told we would have a room with a street view, so when we had a reasonable view of the sea out of our window we were pleasantly surprised. That view was quickly overshadowed by very dated and tired furnishings, an extractor fan in the bathroom that sounded like an aeroplane taking off and possibly the most uncomfortable bed of my life.
This hotel may be appropriate for the over 60s but that is about it!

• Stayed: April 2005
2  Thank londongirl2005
Reviewed 22 March 2005

Myself and my partner stayed at the chatsworth for 1 night over the weekend.
I found the hotel to be excellent value for money, good location for the beach (which is across the road) and the main town.
The rooms were fairly basic, and the shower room was v.small but it was clean and well maintained which is the main thing. The staff were really helpful there and the breakfast was lovely, with a good selection on offer.
The lift was out of action whilst we were there but as we are both fairly fit this didnt bother us, although could see that this would pose problems for the elderly etc.
All in all i thought this was a hotel that offered great value and a superb location. I would stay at this hotel again if in eastbourne.
I did wonder how anyone could wander into the kitchen after entering this hotel, that really does amaze me!

• Stayed: March 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
Glamorga, CF83 3BP
Reviewed 15 January 2005

some freinds and i spent our Christmas Holidays at the Chatsworth hotel

I feel i must point out that we were so impressed with the attention and courtesy extended to us by the Dining & Reception Staff.

A group of handicapped ladies were staying their too during the same period and every one was so helpful.

Keep it up it was really impressive.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member