“Not for Us”

Ranked #118 of 360 Restaurants in Hastings
Price range: US$8 - US$22
Cuisines: Chinese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Buffet, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London
“Not for Us”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I guess you'd call us veterans of Chinese buffets and I'm sorry to say this is the worst we've been in. In fact it has put us off the Chinese buffet concept.

The beef was very chewy, the chow mein just tasted like spaghetti as if it had been cooked in water, the pizza base was so hard it was difficult to cut, the
requested medium grilled steak was raw, the deserts looked nice but were bland. Food was generally warm, not hot.

The service was excellent, and the staff very nice.

1 Thank NHAnorak

• Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Eatto”
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

By the shingle beach, Eatto is a brilliant Chinese buffet for all the family providing a variety of Chinese foods to taste. A perfect location and a brilliant meal but it's hard to find a variety of food if you're a nut/ seed allergy sufferer but overall a lovely meal.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Isabel N
Hastings, England, United Kingdom
“Eatto's Hastings”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Wow We just love this restaurant. Because it is so good and value for money we don't spoil ourselves so only go on birthdays anniversaries etc, so it is a real treat for us. The service is very good and the variety of food on offer is brilliant. for those who are not too keen on Chinese there is also English food on offer as well.

2 Thank Jean G
Hastings, United Kingdom
“Bad Food Experience”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I took my mother to Eatto today for a lunchtime treat; somewhere we go quite regularly. We arrived just after they had opened at 12:00 and were shown to a table close to the food which was helpful as my mother is 92 and disabled. We both went to collect our starters and found that some of the food was cold and the rest lukewarm. I had two sticks of chicken satay which were barely warm and when I bit into one the centre was pink, slimy and cold, in other words not cooked through. The mushrooms were cold and the lemon chicken merely warm though it was cooked. I quietly complained to one of the staff who took my plate away and said he would test the food. I saw that he only took a piece of lemon chicken and a mushroom from the buffet and a short while later when he returned, he said that the chicken was alright but agreed that the mushrooms were cold. He apologised and advised me to have another plate as the food would be hot in ten minutes. It wasn't! The main course was no better; again barely warm, broccoli only blanched and therefore very hard and apart from the noodles I didn't eat anything else. I did have a look at the deserts but by this time I couldn't wait to leave! Another rather off-putting practice there is staff topping up the buffet dishes with more food but putting it on top of what is already there rather than taking the near empty trays away and replacing them with fresh ones. Not sure what an environmental health officer would have to say about this. When I went to pay I was asked whether the food had been ok. I said no and he replied, still cold? When I said "Yes", he said he was sorry about that but still charged me full price for two meals. He then wished me a happy weekend and said he hoped to see me again soon. I told him it would be a very long time before I returned. Perhaps this was just a bad day for the restaurant but I don't feel very inclined to return to see if they are having a better one. Very disappointing.

4 Thank catherine D
1066WM, Public Relations Manager at Eatto, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
We are very sorry you and your mother had a bad experience at Eatto! We try very hard to provide excellent quality food at a low price and we take pride in the huge selection and choice of foods from all over Asia. With regard to temperatures - the mushrooms are always served cooled as a starter, but this is something that customers have commented on before and we will pass this on to the management. The chicken satay again is not particularly hot, because it is such a dry dish and because it is normally served with a peanut sauce which is also not served piping hot. It should, however, be cooked through and this is invariably the case, especially as they are very thin slices of chicken. We do have very strict guidelines in our kitchen and it should absolutely not happen that food that is partially cooked would leave our kitchen!

Fresh food comes out in metal containers to replace empty, or near empty containers. Any food that is left, is then put on top of the fresh delivery, which, as you point out, is how it should be.

We would like to invite you to put your comments to our general manager - if you could kindly contact us, he will be very happy to see if there is any way we can mend your relationship with Eatto and our food.
Burwash, null, United Kingdom
“family outing”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

a wonderful family and friends get-together 19 of us all had a wonderful time excellent food, excellent service an absolutely faultless evening, many thanks to all the staff. We have been before and will be going again it just get better.

• Visited April 2014