“Funny & charming owner :-)”
Review of Emerald cafe

Emerald cafe
Ranked #285 of 387 Restaurants in Hastings
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

My Hubby & I were looking for an afternoon tea, we passed by this cafe. A very friendly man approach us with a smile and ushered us inside and gave a very nice spot ( near the window). I will never forget their deluxe mango milkshake with ice cream. I love it!!! The owner was very funny because he told me that I needed to stand in order to sip my mango shake because I was too small & I cannot reached the straw and we all laughed. We really enjoyed our steak & mushroom sandwich with chips. We will definitely recommend this place :-)

Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

My son & I came by it unexpectedly. Now we've been back 4 times. Milkshakes in 80+ flavours! The owner is wonderful, friendly & doesn't forget a face.
Homemade food including teacakes!! Beautiful packed full of fruit.
A must visit

Reviewed 25 January 2014

My family & I love walking along the length of the seafront to eat at this friendly café. The coffee & milkshakes are perfect, and the food is homemade & hearty! You have not had a scone, until you have tried one of their scones!
The food is a little on the pricey side, but sooo worth it. Be aware that they only take cash though.
All in all, I would thoroughly recommend this cafe - try the omelettes! :)

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Stopped for a coffee after walking around the old town, the owner was very nice and friendly, and had a variety of syrup flavours for your coffee, very clean and pleasant cafe, would visit again if in the area.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

We visited several times last year and although a bit wary decided to try again this. Although coffee and food is good we thought the service could be a lot better. We appreciated that food cooked from 'scratch' will take longer but it was a very long wait and we noticed other people leave after waiting for just drinks. This was the same last year. When my partner asked if the food would be much longer the attitude of the man serving (the owner?) was very bad. He told us to go elsewhere if we wanted instant food, so we did go elsewhere, to the Land of Green Ginger in the High St. What a difference! Wonderful service and food and lovely atmosphere. We had noticed that sometimes the 'owner' is all smiley and accommodating and othertimes well, rude. The lady who serves, (perhaps his wife?) barely smiles and is also quite curt. Such a shame when they do good food in a lovely café. I doubt if comments like this will make a difference as the 'owner' told us he had ''been in business for 60 years and new about running a café'', shame.