“Weekend Holiday”

Combe Haven Holiday Park - Haven
Sheerness, United Kingdom
“Weekend Holiday”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Last time I was at Combe Haven was as a kid, but was very impressed on my return. Took my 4 1/2 year old nephew for his first holiday. Booked two, 2 superior bedroom caravans and although it took 3 attempts to book in ( I was early so was being cheeky) the reception staff was lovely and kept saying sorry for the delay, we for our keys at 16.10 (10 mins after time stated which was not bad and thats only because of the queue that formed as 16.00 neared). When we got to our caravan which was at the bottom of a hill, we discovered we both been upgraded to a 3 bedroom delux plus caravan.

Good bits -

Wonderful Go live sqaud who kept all the kids entertained. Never seen without a smile.

DJ Ned party - free party time for the kids and a party box for £3.50 if you wantes one, which had a badley ballon, 2 cakes, a badge and a hat which is also had character to colour in.

photos with the seaside squad plenty of opportunities, you can even take your own pictures as well, so no pressure to buy the offical ones (£5 each or but 2 get 1 Free)

Only once chance thou to have all six seaside squad photo taken just after DJ ned Party on sundays xx

Swimming pool - Warm pool and warmshowers - clean - staff happy to help ( I stayed at another holiday park where the rain water was warmer than the pool or the shower!!!!! and that was in October)

We were luck we didnt have to queue, but can see in high season this being the case.

Spar Shop - got everything u needed, yes a bit dearer than outside complex but not much.

Tesco is 2 miles away if you have a car.

The go live lounge - clean and tidy and again a little more than in a pub but not excessive in my view. Yes you do need to get there early if you like us had a kid to look out for. the go live lounge been upgraded from what I remember and no feet sticking to floor or stale beer smell.

Upgrade - heating in bedroom and bathroom was greatly recieved, running hot water all the time, free heating and electric.

Saxon centre - only place to watch Sky sports which is down the hill - good for keeping sports fans away and keeping them with the kids up at the main complex or swimming( yes iam a footy fan but I was there for my nephew not to watch footy)

Nice soft play area for kids.

Bar and coffee avaiable - clean and tidy.

Clean site - Plenty of bins for rubbish!

Good lightening around the pathways

Hastings Close by for lots to do - blue reef worth a trip - pre book on line and get a discount .

Bad Bits
Hills - if you have anyone who has issues with walking the pathways up the hill to the main complex can hinder them. Even if they are not disabled it worth taking into consideration. I didnt but will next time we visted.

People leaving rubbish - I saw a memeber of staff picking rubbish up at 8.30 am which a holiday maker had not put in rubbish bin!!! people have moaned about the rubbish on site but it a few holiday makers fault and not the staff!!!!!!!

Leaving to go home.

Did not use any of the food outets as had a ceoliac suffer in our group and even through we recleaned the kitchen, this was more for the benifit to make sure of no slight chance of cross comination then the kitchen being dirty.

Hope this helps as I am aware of negatice reviews of others, my advise is unless combe haven is taken over by another holiday firm, this is a park that needs to be visited as it a wonderful place for the family and so much going on during the day, theres not enough hours in the day to fit it all in for older children.

1 Thank Dawnie449
Combe H, Guest Relations Manager at Combe Haven Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Dawnie449
Wow, thank you so much for your brilliant review and I can’t you enough your feedback this will indeed help immensely for anyone wanting to book here at Combe Haven.
You have highlighted so many factors of our park and the local area. I hope everyone reads your advice on the hill, as we do speak to many guests prior to their arrival and try to highlight this and we are always open to put requests on any bookings to allocate locations to suit everyone.
But I am so thrilled to know you had a wonderful experience and if you would ever like to revisit us here at Combe please give us a call (01424 427891) and we be able to apply extra discount for returning to us and any special requests, it would be so lovely to welcome you back.
Wishing you well and hope you are enjoying this lovely sunshine
Reception Team Leader

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

I wasn't sure what to expect having read the reviews but my fears were quickly quashed. We had a standard van which was immaculate, very clean. As others have stated it does get cold in the mornings and evenings but once the fire was on and we had gone prepared with a fan heater for the bedrooms it warmed up quickly. With three teenagers they enjoyed the amusements on site. The Live Lounge was definitely lively and the entertainments team aim to get all ages involved. The Pop Stars concert on the Sunday night could really do with all the team involved singing rather than just the two girls. All in all we had a very good stay and as we were part of a large party did get to see the other vans and would next time upgrade to have heating in the bedrooms. This is an excellent base to visit all the local attractions and would stay again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Vanessa A
Hello Vanessa A
I would to thank you for your lovely review of our park and I was so pleased to read that you and all the family had a wonderful experience with us here at Combe Haven.
I have passed your comments regarding the cleanliness of your holiday home to our accommodation team and they were thrilled to know that it was up to our Haven standard.
Your feedback is invaluable highlighting so many factors of a caravan holiday which I know will help immensely for future haven guests.
Thank you again for taking the time and when you know that you would like revisit us here in Hastings then you be entitled to extra discount for being a returning guest and I would be more than happy to look after your booking, call myself or any of the Holiday Team on 01424 427891 at anytime.
Kind regards
dartford
Reviewed 14 April 2014

park clean and tidy.Sadly had to queue to use pool as was so busy and we went on the 28th march so can imagine in the high season you wouldnt get a look in unless you were there first thing! The pitch and putt is fun and the playground good, had booked a deluxe plus but was upgraded on arrival fantastic van lovely setting.Sadly the basket ball court was being repainted on the sunday, so that was out of action which was a letdown. All staff helpful and polite and work hard to make this a good park, wouldnt return though as was disappointed with the pool, saying that we are off to seaview park in weymouth soon.Haven provide a clean park and pleasant staff, we have in the past used other caravan holiday providers and have not received this standard of customer service.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear SukeeDarford
Thank you very much for your lovely review.
I am so sorry that you could not make use of our new basketball/multi pitch, the reason for this is because of the recent rain fall, it delayed the painting of the court and as soon we knew the weather was going to be better we arranged for the painters to finish it. I was also sad to read about the pool issue, I have spoken with the leisure manager who confirmed to me that during some of our busier periods in the holidays they can only have so many guests in at one time, I truly am sorry about your wait time for the pool.
Your kind comments on our customer service is wonderful to hear as we do pride ourselves and all team that work within Haven are trained especially.
Have a great time at Havens Seaview Park in Weymouth, I have been to Weymouth many times on holiday and I love it, so I can imagine you will too.
Wishing you well, and thank you again for reviewing your holiday with us.
Herts, UK
Reviewed 14 April 2014

This was our third stay in Combe Haven and it was by far the best yet. Our travelling party were myself, my wife and our 5 year old son.

Check In
We queued for about 5 minutes and were told our caravan was ready, but hadn't had the cleanliness check, so we should come back in 10 minutes. I fairness we were early, and it's good to know they don't release the caravans until they have been properly checked over.

When we came back our caravan was indeed ready. The girl at the desk was super friendly and made a real fuss of my son, even giving him an extra Fun Works pass as it had Polly on the front, and that's his favourite character.

She told us everything we needed to know, showed us on the map where our caravan was and the best way to get there. It was very relaxed and at no time did we feel rushed.

Caravan - Deluxe Plus
We knew what to expect from our caravan as we'd stayed in Deluxe Plus before. Heating in every room is a major advantage, though the weather was so nice we only really needed it in the mornings. The caravan was clean and the bedding was also clean and not worn.

The beds were comfy and there was more than enough hangers for all our clothing. There was an extra duvet and pillows in the main bedroom wardrobe, which I assume is for the pull out bed in the lounge, but we left it as a sofa as we didn't need it.

The hot water never ran out, which is more than I can say for hotel rooms we've stayed in that cost as much for one night as this whole holiday!

The caravan had an oven, microwave and all utensils and cutlery. All clean and all working.

The location was Lower Woodside, lot 57. It was actually pretty quiet and about a 5-10 minute walk to the entertainment complex. I think a few more pavements would be handy, especially on check in and check out days when more people are driving around.

Entertainment
This is where the holiday went fro being good to great, really great. The entertainment seems to have taken a step up since our last visit, and it was good then. There is so much to do for kids - arts and crafts, treasure hunts, meeting pen pals, sand castle competitions, dancing, shows and the Seaside Squad characters.

Our son was busy doing things most of the day, except from mid afternoon to early evening, and that time was used to make use of the free pool, a walk to the beach, playing in the arcades (as you do) and chilling out back at the caravan to get ready for the evening.

In the evening there were shows for the kids, then a game show type affair for the kids, with two teams, lots of fun games and tons of prizes. Then it was rock and roll bingo which was great fun. This was followed by live entertainment, which was the Funstars singing and dancing a few nights, and a Jessie J impersonator another night - she was pretty good, but the Funstars were better! After that was the more adult targeted competitions, though it was never too much for kids to be around too. Our son actually stayed up past 11 3 of the 4 nights, and loved all the entertainments.

Characters - Seaside Squad
There are lots of character shows and some of the activities are led by a character. After some of the shows there is the opportunity to get photos with the characters. These are well organised and plenty of time is given for everyone to get their photo. They position a Funstar at the end of the queue when no more people can join, but that was always after pretty much everyone who wanted to join had done so.

There is lots of character merchandise for sale in the Spar shop and also the shop inside the live lounge. It's surprisingly reasonable in price - for example a pin badge is £1.99, as opposed to being £6+ in Disneyland Paris.

Funstars
These are the guys and gals in blue and yellow and they run all the entertainments. Absolutely brilliant, all went above and beyond the call of duty. They are the magic that brings it all together and during our 5 day stay were so friendly, helpful and incredibly entertaining. Also talented - watch any of the shows they put on and you'll see what I mean - spectacular singing and dancing that you'd expect to pay extra for. They were amazing with the kids and my son fell in love with them all, and wants to now be a Funstar!

They were so good they all need to be named, so here we go: Zane, Abi, Jessica, Mikey, AJ, Red, Louis and Molly. Always smiling, always entertaining and had me dancing, really badly, to many songs I've never heard of!

We ate in the Mash and Barrel pub on our first night and the food was pretty good, and came quickly. It was not too expensive and everything was clean. It's a big airy pub and never felt crowded even when it was busy.

We ate in Burger King and Papa John's Pizza on other nights - both of which are located in the entertainment complex. The pizza was particularly nice and we were able to see it being made from fresh. They deliver to your caravan if you're feeling particularly lazy one night!

Character Breakfast
We did this on our last day. It's located in the Mash and Barrel and though there is no obligation to buy anything, it appeared as though most people did. We had the 5 item breakfast. which looked a bit small at first, but by the time we'd eaten it was more than enough.

The characters came out at about 9.40 and this time it was Polly and Anxious. They go round to each table so there is no need for queues and people to have their breakfast interrupted. They spent about 3-4 minutes at our table and our son got lots of cuddles and plenty of photos. I fitting end to the holiday.

Facilities
The pool is clean and at a decent temperature, and the changing rooms or clean and plentiful. There are family changing rooms which are big enough for quite a few, and were more than enough for our family of 3. They have activities in the pool, such as fun with inflatables, which you can pre-book.

There is a sports hall where they do lots of different activities like fencing, archery, bike riding etc. These are at an extar cost, but we actually found there was no time to fit these in with all the free entertainment on offer.

There is a Spar shop next to the entertainment complex which sells everything you might need, or may have forgotten. Food, DVDs, newspapers, merchandise, batteries etc. The ultimate convenience store. It's not cheap in there, but no more expensive than a Spar anywhere else.

Overview
I may sound like an advert for Combe Haven, but after the experience we had it's what I feel like doing! We had such a good time that we have booked to go back in June, this time a 3 night visit over a weekend. There really was nothing to fault, and the magic the Funstars add make it a fun time for absolutely everyone. I can't recommend it enough.

Room Tip: Go for Deluxe Plus to get the heating in every room - after you come out the shower it's great...
3 Thank thefable
Hello Thefable
WOW, what I can say but thank you so much for your wonderful review of your recent holiday with us.
I am so delighted that you loved our park as much as we do all do here at Combe Haven and I can’t thank you enough for the all positive comments. I have spoken and passed on your feedback to all our heads of departments, and they are thrilled that you have highlighted so many great comments around the park.
Your advice on heating is true in these early spring months and later in September/October the evenings can get very chilly and though all caravans have a gas fire the bedrooms tend to become very cold, advice like this is invaluable for future guests to Haven.
We really cannot wait for your return in June and if you would like the same caravan or location again give me a call on 01424 427891 and I will put the request on your booking.
See you soon
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Arrived at Combe Haven, on the Monday, check in was nice and pleasant, arrival to van we were greeted with toilet roll under the steps to the entrance to the van, the van itself did not look like a deluxe plus, it looked standard. carpet was worn and did not fit. The whole general cleanliness could of been better!! we then decided we wanted to eat at the mash and barrel!! and sat down to order, only to find the menu's had food all over them, so ordered another menu waitress delivered this and it was soaking wet and the waitress did not seem to care !! we had had enough at this point and decided not to eat at the mash and barrel. we decided to go to Burger King instead and was greeted with a smile and helpful staff. anyway back to our caravan we found the TV was not working, below the tv is the gas fire, when this gas fire was on the top of the unit got very hot, so we had to turn it down! reported to reception and they sent maintenance to come and lower the flu at the back!! the rest of the week went well, until the Thursday, we decided we wanted to play pitch and putt, and found the staff member very arrogant to say the least! we paid for 7 of us to play, and after we played the first whole the attendant told us to hurry up as he was closing soon, and for us party to split up to different holes!! why the hell did he not tell us before we started! anyway we gave up the end and decided to head for reception to complain about him! we got our money back and job done!
I am not normally one to complain and usually turn a blind eye, but this trip had to be reviewed, I have stayed in many haven sites around the UK and this one lacks in customer service and manners! also mind the seagulls! some nice polite holidaymaker decided to leave a bag of refuse opposite our caravan and the gulls ripped it to shreds! yet it states in handbook not to leave rubbish unattended!! anyway, staff at reception took our complaint, I also stated it would be published on here.. The site itself is great and the location is great, just a shame we got the wrong end of it this time round!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Combe H, Guest Relations Manager at Combe Haven Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Lee L
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.
I was very sad to read your experience at Combe Haven was not as it should have been, we pride ourselves on our customer service, and all the team on park always have our guest’s interest at heart.
I am pleased to you took it up with our customer care team on park, and I have spoken with them about your review and they will be in contact with you over your issues that you raised with them whilst on holiday.
I am pleased you thought our Park itself was good, we also believe we are situated in a wonderful location for many great days out. However if you ever wish you visit this part of the country again I would be more than happy to assist with a future booking to ensure and restore your faith back with us at Combe.
Reception Team Leader

Travellers are raving about these Hastings hotels

Northampton
Reviewed 12 April 2014

If you've seen my other reviews, you'll have come across the nightmare we had at a nearby holiday park. Upon leaving this establishment, we chanced it and drove to nearby Hastings, fortunately coming across Combe Haven. The ladies on Reception were extremely sympathetic to our plight and incredibly accommodating and helpful. They suggested we went for a more expensive caravan with heating in the bedrooms but having lost out on the other holiday and thinking it would be warm enough in April we went for their cheapest option. On reflection, we should have listened to their advice as the bedrooms were very cold in the night/mornings (not damp as reported elsewhere just cold). This was resolved by buying electric fan heaters from the nearby Tesco's for £10 a pop. Cheaper than the upgrade!

The customer service here was amazing from the security guy on the gate, to the lifeguards to the shop assistants and bar staff. Hats off to Haven for their training. The pool could have been warmer but again it wasn't cold. Everywhere was clean and tidy. It's obviously designed for families so it is noisy in certain places at certain times - having said that, it was extremely quiet and peaceful away from these areas. There are lots of well designed, outdoor safe play areas for kids and arcades a-plenty! The "Live Lounge" entertainment centre was too busy and too noisy for our boys (4 and 2) so we didn't go in. We tried it but were aware that they were catering for the whole spectrum from little kids to teenagers to adults. It wasn't a problem as there's still lots to do. The caravan itself was clean and tidy, well equipped and (aside from the lack of heating which we chose) perfect for our uses. It's a great centre to use as a base.

A trip to Hastings (or Bexhill) seafront is a must (you can get free parking which is a bonus) for the obligatory ice cream and chips. The beach is clean and our kids loved a walk along it, skimming stones and chasing gulls. The Blue Reef Aquarium was also a good visit.

It probably deserves more than 3/5 rating I've given but I'm comparing with other resorts/hotels we've reviewed on here. I'd definitely go back and highly recommend it for families.

Room Tip: In the summer you'll probably be fine but for Spring and Autumn visits, upgrade to a caravan wit...
1 Thank bert1976
Dear Bert1976
We too are pleased you found us and that we were able to help you have a memorable holiday here at Combe Haven and it was great to read you had an enjoyable time out and about in our local area. Your kind comments on our Customer service was wonderful to hear and I have personally sent your review onto all our departments to express to all the teams, we love our park very much and it is always so lovely to hear from our guest’s experiences, so thank you Bert1976.
I do hope we have the pleasure of your seeing you and your family again, please let me know of your return and I will happily over see your booking ensuring we get you a lovely caravan in the best location for you.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Me and partner visited with our 18 month old son for a week away and had a nice time.
Our caravan was nice and clean with the exception of one of the duvet covers which appeared to be covered in black grease but this wasn't a problem as we only needed one of the single covers.
Outside play area was nice but the inside soft play was quite dirty and the lift up to it was broken so difficult to get up the steep steps with a buggy.
Also, you can't park next to the caravans so you might have to make quite a few trips with your luggage.
When we returned home we realised that we left our little boys dressing gown in the caravan and a friend who lives locally was going to collect for us, however after phoning 4 times to see if they had the dressing gown and being promised a call back each time we never heard a thing. I now it's only a dressing gown but I think it's courtesy to call back if you say you will. As it was our little boys first dressing gown it would have been nice to have got it back. It seems that once you have left and they have taken your money they are no longer interested.

Stayed June 2013
Dear Claire B
Thank you for reviewing your holiday from last year. I was sad to read you feel we ignore our lost property section, I personally oversee this section and am happy to say I do reunite a lot of property ranging from clothes to very expensive electrical items, I take this role very seriously and will always do my best to send lost property back. Please accept my sincere apologies that your little boy’s dressing gown was never located and I can understand your frustration and as a parent and a holidaymaker myself I do understand.
We have made some fantastic changes on Combe Haven over the winter period and if you would ever like to visit us in the South East this season, I would be more than happy to help you with questions or queries regarding locations and different grades of caravan and hopefully restore your faith back with us.
Reception Team Leader
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hastings
Best Western Royal Victoria Hotel
Astral Lodge
Astral Lodge
#12 of 14 in Hastings
Alexanders Bed & Breakfast Hastings

Been to Combe Haven Holiday Park - Haven? Share your experiences!