“Pluses and Minuses”

and 1 more site!
White Rock Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Hastings
Reviewed 9 January 2010

I stayed for 8 nights so got a very good feel of the hotel. Firstly the frontage and the cafe bar area are very nice. Staff are very friendly and service was good throughout. The food menu is basic but all the items I had from the bar or room service were good. I stayed in one of the rear doubles which are the cheapest rooms by £20. These are advertised as being quiet. The sea view and larger doubles are more expensive and have been refurbished to a higher standard looking at photos and the odd peek I got during the stay. My room was a fairly small double but fine for one person. The bathroom was a good size and fully refurbished. My only complaints over the stay were the single glazed original windows which not many are left as the hotel appears almost fully double glazed. The window also had a small crack in it which was not great visually . The new LCD TV was good, but the signal would occassionaly break up on some channels especially later in the evening. I mentioned this to the owner - I think the hotel aerial needs boosting/replacing.

My big issue over the stay was noise from the corridor which appeared to run directly above my room on the 1st floor. I was constantly woken early because of this. I appreciate this is an old building with creaking floorboards, but something needs to be done about this. I ended up with earplugs in....but this still didnt totally solve the problem. Since I was here on leisure I wanted to have a lie in but this was not really possible. That said if you have the newer rooms on the top floor or possibly the second floor this will not be a problem for you.

Breakfast is not included but is only £6 if you eat it in the bar and is a good fry up with toast, juice, tea/coffee. Other good points are free WIFI which was reliable if a little slow, plus a full hospitality tray with bottled water refreshed daily. The car park is small but I managed to get a space most days. If not they give you a free voucher valid 4pm to 11am for the underground car park across from the hotel.

To sum up, I could not justify staying in the more expensive higher floor rooms because of the length of my stay. If you did, I suspect you would have a very good experience. If you are in the 1st floor cheap rear doubles and like a lie in then I would recommend going elsewhere. That said hotel renovations are still continuing as the builders were in for the last couple of days of my stay, so further improvements are possible.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo

Reviewed 14 November 2009

The hotel itself is super. Friendly helpful staff, decent food, spacious bar with sea view terrace and good ambience. The rooms aren't too bad and the breakfast hits the spot.

A big downside is the tiny car park. It may be better if they charged for a space and then at least you'd know whether you had one. We had to park on the street behind the hotel on our second evening as they had a small function there which took up all the places by the time we returned at 4pm. The worry meant neither of us could really sleep for reasons I will now explain.

We had no idea what Hastings as an area is really like!!

The "old town" is the picture-postcard bit with old lanes and beach launched fishing boats. BUT this hotel is at the other end of the area known as Hastings, at the other end of the new town centre.

The new town is not pleasant at all. We are not snobs, and we take people as we find them, but we will not be returning to Hastings.

Sorry to anyone who lives there, but we saw drunks and druggies throughout the day and night, and the omnipresent police CCTV van, even at 10am, left us feeling quite unsettled. Even though we had a third floor room, we wished there was a safe for what valuables we had brought.

The main streets for restaurants and bars (just down from the hotel) turned seedy from 6pm, the town centre was pretty unsavoury and did not present itself as a safe area to walk around.

If you have to stay in Hastings do stay at the White Rock, but if you don't have to stay in Hastings then don't. Go somewhere else to stay and spend half a day in the picturesque old town. It is as simple as that really!

This hotel deserves better ratings from my review, but the location simply drags it down.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2009

This hotel has received some glowing reviews recently, resulting in it taking the number one slot in Hastings. I don’t know if it is the best in the town but I would hope that there are better deals in Hastings. I note that some of the most glowing reviews come from contributors who have only rated this one hotel and they should be treated with caution; several of the earlier reviews are more objective and make mention of the shortcomings (hot… noisy.. costly…smell of cooking etc). I’ll try and give a fair (and honest) summary of my experience.

My wife, our adult daughter and I stayed there for a couple of nights and initial impressions were good. Free parking at rear of hotel was very welcome as Hastings is not the easiest of places to park, and reception was quick and friendly, they even showed us to our room; however, if they hadn’t we would have had a problem as the place is a bit of a warren. It is several buildings knocked into one and there are many narrow staircases and corridors to negotiate. And as a previous reviewer mentioned, the lift by reception is tiny.

The room was spacious and very clean, the bathroom was a bit spartan and a distinct lack of hooks or shelves for clothes was annoying. The beds were fine and the hospitality tray well stocked with tea, coffee, mineral water etc and good biscuits! The room was at the front of the hotel with lovely sea view. And has also been mentioned by others there is a lot of traffic noise all through the night from the busy road. Unfortunately the shower gave problems and for our second night we had a suite, at the rear of the hotel. The rooms were again very clean, spacious and comfortable; and again nowhere to put clothes etc in the bathroom, even one hook would have been useful. Sadly the shortcomings mentioned by earlier reviewers were also in evidence: the room was very hot (portable fans were in the room so we were not the first to comment on this) and the smell of cooking was pretty strong. Walls are thin and you can hear people walking along the corridors.

Speaking of cooking what about the food? Well breakfast is extra and we did try the “Full Audrey” a pretty standard fry up, which was OK but would be much cheaper at any café along the front. And we tried an evening meal which wasn’t rated very highly by my wife or daughter.

This is an average seaside hotel which is trying very hard to be a little bit special. They have renovated the building with a new front, a new bar and restaurant and lots of redecoration. And it’s been done well, but it is still an old building: actually several old buildings converted a bit haphazardly into one. The service from the family running the place is very friendly and attentive – not quite so good from some of the staff.

I have stayed in worse hotels, but they were considerably cheaper. Our total bill was a bit steep all considered. Would I stay there again? Well yes, I might, but that would cause a problem as my wife and daughter have said that they will definitely stay elsewhere next time we are in Hastings!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank NowlookatmeBanburys
Reviewed 6 September 2009

This hotel is very good indeed. We had a big family suite - two bedrooms linked by a bathroom. The room was clean and nicely furnished although the carpet had some (old) staining. Bathroom excellent. Breakfast was very good but not included in the room rate. Hastings however was pretty grim - wandering round the shopping precinct at 6 pm on a Saturday there were groups of ASBO type youths hanging around and the shops were standard clonetown fare, not an independent to be seen.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2009

This is the second time we have stayed here, and it just gets better every time.
This is a family run hotel right on the sea front, with a lovely terrace where you can have breakfast, have a drink or just sit and watch the world go by.
The standard of this hotel is very good, the rooms are lovely, the staff are very efficient and pleasant, the bar is good, and the restaurant food is of a high standard.
We will be returning later in the year.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Davexanadu
Reviewed 16 August 2009

I have just returned from this wonderful hotel which overlooks the pier and is located next to the White Rock Cafe. I am amazed at the tasteful work the owners have done to the place since my last visit there. The bar and coffee bar are now in one spacious room, the residents lounge is immaculate and very calming, the old bar has been converted to a conference room with comfortable sitting areas just outside the room for networking and coffee. The sun lounge remains a pleasure to enjoy a spot of sunbathing with a beer or two!
My family and I stayed for three nights and were made very welcome by the staff. I like the idea of paying for only what you eat for breakfast. Choices are wide, from the full 'Audrey', a traditional English breakfast to Greek yoghurt or fruit platter. The cost of meals are very reasonable. We had a lunch there too, which again was reasonable to purchase and nicely presented.
I got into the cocktails - yum! These cost me no more than what I pay at my local cocktail bar in Staffordshire. One evening we went to an Indian Restaurant nearby - Bay Spice, where we had a super meal for 14 people.
I am looking forward to my next visit to White Rock, when I have been promised I will see more improvement. Well done to the couple who own the hotel and thank you.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2009

We had the first floor kingsize seaview room with balcony and it was so gorgeous. We went for a romantic getaway and thats exactly how it felt when we walked in the room, romantic and gorgeous! the bed was comfy with pure cotton bedding, a flat screen TV on the wall with freeview. Kettle, cups, milk, fridge, water, teabags, coffee all supplied and were complimentry. around 5 wooden hangers in wardrobe. bathroon was lovely, nice big bath where one end is shaped like a circle, plenty of room for two and water was very hot and bath filled very quickly, shower is a big head attached to the wall (cant take it off) and had a lovely spray. Housekeeping were great. Staff were so helpful and friendly and there terrace bar is gorgeous and when they say no smoking at all anywhere they really do mean that. We got a balcony to enable us to smoke out there but it wasnt a balcony that you could walk out on, just french doors with railings but was still lovely to have them open as you could see the sea from your bed and hear it too, so nice. We stayed in room 102 and we are definately going back and will request the same room. If you decide to stay there you must look up Cosmo chinese buffet restaurant, we were so impressed! enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple