“the ultimate luxury break by the sea”

Zanzibar International Hotel Hastings
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Hastings
london
“the ultimate luxury break by the sea”
Reviewed 25 May 2011

had an amaaaaazing time at Zanzibar. Can't recommend it highly enough. Booked it last minute for my birthday weekend, and we lucked out with the amazing weather which helped.
Service was awesome. The lovely lady (Sorry i have forgotten her name!) sorted out restaurants for us on both nights we were there - their recommendations are well worth trying out. She also booked taxis for us and nothing was too much effort. The breakfast is to die for, you order what you want in the evening and they either deliver to your room or set a table for you outside in the morning. Great presentation and they get all the little details right. we stayed in India - would recommend the room although it doesn't have sea views, it is spacious and has a lovely spa bath. The honesty bar is a lovely tough, although sadly i dont think they are keeping it much longer. We look forward to returning soon!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Friendly and polite service. Not a cheap nights stay but worth it. Rooms are large, v well thought out and relaxing. hope to visit sometime again for a short break. views of sea v nice. nice hotel decor with a homely touch. nb; the rooms are as nice as the pics show

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank ruuloo
Sussex
Reviewed 12 May 2011

I read lots of different descriptions of the Zanibar and I never really expected them to be exact - how wrong I was! That hotel was fantastic and the staff were attentive and welcoming. I picked the Antartica room because I love steam and saunas and clean fresh , bright unfussy living space. How amazing to have a one man sauna and separate steam cabin plus massage shower jets in your room. My chaise lounge was positioned so I could take in the perfect sea view. I wrapped myself up in my lovely white robe and donned by white slippers and luxuriated on my huge comfortable bed. I made fresh coffee in my cafetiere and drank it whilst I watched my 42 inch flat screen television. I pondered over the extensive breakfast menu (i had to order what ever I wanted including free newspaper before 10pm that night). At exactly 8.15am (my requested time) whilst my colleagues ate breakfast in the garden my breakfast arrived - the kipper was fresh and massive, the egg poached to perfection. The fresh orange juice and fruit platter were delicious. I had another steam, another shower massage and reluctantly left my room to go to work.... I had a good nosey around my colleagues rooms - the Manhattan was superb , the jacuzzi in India was excellent and the quirks and fittings in the other rooms were delightful. The room had extras like smelling oils for the steam room, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, body lotions hairdrier, iron and board, large selection of tea and coffee, mini bar with free water and fresh milk. I cannot gush enough about the experience I had... I will be going back!

Room Tip: Go the website and study the different rooms
Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
london
Reviewed 7 May 2011

we recently stayed here in the bali room, which is the cheapest room in the hotel. we booked last minute and it was the only room left. all we can say is, if this is the cheapest room, the others must be pretty amazing!

when you arrive you are greeted with complimentary champagne. the bali room is right next to the garden (and the honesty bar!) so we enjoyed drinks out there, it's a lovely sun trap and very peaceful. our room was really relaxing and the bed was amazingly comfortable.

we'd been to hastings a few years previously and hadn't thought that much of it... to be honest, it is still pretty manky. but the hotel is in st leonards, which is in our opinion the nicest area. it's shabby chic - along the front you'll find both greasy spoons and posh organic cafes. we loved it. the italian restaurant next door serves great pizzas, perfect for a takeaway.

the hotel encourages you to get takeaways and bring them back to the room, and to be honest, you needn't leave the room for the whole time you are there! there is a large dvd library and it's really cosy and comfortable.

breakfast was fabulous - i had the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs with champagne, surely that is worth the room price alone! my husband had the 'small' full english which looked pretty huge to me.

we had a really excellent time and will definitely be back.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2011

We felt utterly pampered during our night in the Egypt room. Time almost stood still as we enjoyed being in our room, taking full advantage of the extremely comfortable bed and full roll top bath, fluffy white robes and Bucks Fizz in bed in the morning! I slept so well I almost fogot where I was. I did not want to leave. A note in the room literature says 'Don't forget to go out' and it's there for a reason! I highly recommend this hotel and want everyone I know to stay there. Thanks to everyone at the Zanzibar for making our stay so enjoyable. Can't wait to come back.

sussex
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Myself and Partner won a night here in one of the suites but on calling to book found the room unavailable. the hotel manager then kindly offered us an update so we could have the selected date. we were more than pleasantly surprised to find on arrival the Manhattan suite was ours for the night. it is the penthouse apartment with self catering facilties available for extended stays as well as the marvellous views of the beach and pier, a freeplay juke box, large flat screen tv's/dvd's, huge comfortable bed, double massage shower and luxurious seated bath which is filled from a ceiling cascade of water! We slept well and enjoyed our breakfast in our rooms in the towelled robes provided. the hotel also offered a free dvd service which was a new service we enjoyed the benefit of as well.

Room Tip: any room here would be more than satisfactory
Germany/US
Reviewed 23 April 2011

Zanzibar is owned and operated by 'Max'. Max looks like he'd very at home on a surfboard across the street and in the not far away water. He says he's owned the funkily and lovingly and creatively restored hotel for 12 years. Bot it then for a song when the whole boardwalk was boarded up and ran it as a youth hostel. As things got better he reinvested the cash flow and then 6 years ago closed it down, gutted it, and reopened it a year later in its present, still a work in progress (a restaurant opens in the living room next month) form. The love and thoughtfulness certainly shows in the two rooms we stayed in (late decision; so we had to move rooms after the first night). Great beds, views right into the Channel, and a fantastic (adjective well deserved) breakfast served wherever you want. Max and his staff are terrific. If you can afford the reasonable prices (breakfast is included) then try Zanzibar and we doubt you'll be disappointed. Two things...some rooms face the back garden....make sure you book an ocean room if that's what you want; also, if you're walking get out at the Warrior Square train station....that will be closest.

1 Thank Kevin C