“House of Glass”
Review of Summerfields House

Summerfields House
Ranked #8 of 47 Hastings B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 January 2013

My wife and I booked Summerfields House for 3 nights last fall based on the glowing reviews. Well, disappointment doesn't begin to describe our experience. Fifteen minutes into our stay both night lamps fell off their respective tables. Basically all you had to do was look at them and they would tip over. One of them wouldn't work after it fell and was replaced. On check-out we were asked to pay for its repair. In the bathroom the handgrip in the tub slipped. Very dangerous. You couldn't take a shower without the soap dish falling into the tub 2 or 3 times. Getting back to the bedroom there is a small fridge next to the bed which is virtually impossible to access without knocking the lamp over. On our last night, coming back from dinner, my wife fell on the poorly lit and uneven path leading into the facility. My wife still has a scar on her knee. We have booked guest houses and B&B's all over England, Scotland and Ireland and have never come across a more disappointing and even hazardous facility. I know its been a few months since our visit but have only now managed to find some time to write this review. The fact it has bothered both of us all this time speaks to the degree of our concern.

2  Thank Rocketrod22

Reviewed 11 November 2012

A very friendly welcome from Antonio & Liz. Nothing too much trouble. Our on suite room was equipped with everything (including chilled water) we needed. Our room was clean, comfortable, peaceful and relaxing. Our cooked to order veggie breakfast was delicious! Overall a very enjoyable visit and would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Which way is the sea?
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Vivi H
Reviewed 7 November 2012

Recommended by Old Hastings Preservation Society, the reason for my visit, I was not disappointed. Everything you could ask for was available, the room was bright, airy, clean and most comfortable, the bathroom a delight, and the breakfast quite amazing. Alfredo and Liz are superb hosts and the house, grounds and views from my room quite lovely.
Next time I'm in East Sussex / Kent I'll be ensuring my route is planned to stay there once again. As indeed will the gentleman on the next table who, when asked if he'd enjoyed his stay, replied: "Now I know why the Normans didn't want to go home!"

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Anthony P
Reviewed 7 November 2012

What a find!
This is the second time I have reviewed this lovely Bed and breakfast this morning because half way through uploading pictures I lost my internet so I am not sure if the original went through. so I will do it again.
If you have never been to Hastings before and to this lovely home it is a bit difficult to find.
The address just says Bohemia Road and this is a VERY LONG road.as its the A21 to the seafront.
On google maps I found myself at a bus top on the other side of the road. so in the end I had to ring Liz and Alfredo for instructions.
AS you cannot see see the house from the main road you have to look for a small driveway on a slight bend travelling southwards towards the seafront.
The position is immediately after the Police Station and before the Travel Lodge.
As you turn in to the narrow curvy driveway there are two houses on your right hand side and I think they are called Lodges 1 and 2. Continue on where you come to electronic gates.
On first arrival you wont have the code to get in so just press button.
The house is in lovely gardens and if its raining you will be greeted with an umbrella!
I had the Roses room a twin room which was located 1st floor of which it was the corner room with a wonderful view from the small bathroom (its netted) towards the country side and you can actually see the sea.
The bedding and towels were excellent quality and everything thought of down to drinks facilities, and a small fridge of which there was some fresh drinking water in a jug.
In the bathroom the toiietries were of a luxuriious quality and even ear buds and makeup removal pads.
It was very comfortable warm and peaceful.
There was even a small bookcase with a small selection of books to mull over, The television on the wall.
The evenings before I had to choose a breakfast of which the selection was vast,
From a range of fruit juices, grapefruit, a fresh fruit platter, cereals and of course the range of hot meals including Full English, Kippers, Eggs Benedict, smoked salmon. There was plenty of toast with a multiple chose of bread and a selection of Jams marmalade and honey,
I was attending a family wedding and had to get my hair done on the Sat morn and within the hour had a mobile hairdresser doing my hair and I didnt even leave the building.
She actually works for them and the bonus is she is a fully trained hairdresser of which they may add to their portfolio that a hairdresser is available.Downside is she dosent speak much english but sign language goes a long way
Because it was November the full beauty of the gardens were not in evidence but I can imagine that options to eat Al fresco in the Summer would be another added attraction.
Liz and Alfredo were a lovely friendly couple and nothing was too much trouble, it was like staying with family.
I would not hesitate in recommending this lovely Bed and Breakfast and it holds a Silver award from the AA travel awads.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Carolg1951
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I stayed at this B & B with my family to attend an extended family wedding. Although the taxi driver did not know the whereabouts, we did find it. The entrance is a little precarious as there are some steps which you have to climb down to get to the house. I had to telephone the proprietor as I could not make anybody here me when I rang the bell. He was actually walking his dog. I was glad I had my mobile phone with me as this was displayed on the wall plaque.
One thing that I think should be stressed is that there was a very large German Shepherd dog barking as I entered the courtyard. He was quite friendly but that could put people off if they were unaware. The room was cosy but no net curtains and this made you feel as if you were in a goldfish bowl as my room was upstairs. The breakfast was good - there is a form to fill in so that your breakfast is ordered the previous evening. There were toiletries, coffee/tea making
facilities and a tea towel to dry your cups, which I thought was a nice touch.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank happytravellers2310
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Lovely liitle B&B tucked of main road. Were not sure we had come to the right place until we realised that this was a battle axe block and we had to continue up the road then we were a bit stumped by the electric gate and did not notice the call button in the rain. However room was very comfortable. Alfredo & Liz very helpful and breakfast was good although only plain yoghurt available.

1  Thank Denjudfi
Reviewed 24 October 2012

We stayed one night at this quietly located guest house when visiting Hastings and Battle for a change of scenery for myself and my husband who has had a stressful year undergoing cancer treatment.
Our bed was comfortable and the room with tv was perfect, Shower worked well, complimentary robes, plenty of choice of hot drinks in room, breakfast was delicious and served by the owners, who are friendly and welcoming.

1  Thank Juliesmart