“Does what it says on the tin !!”
Review of Crown Inn

Crown Inn
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Lewes
Reviewed 22 April 2012

6 of us stopped here overnight on the 21st April, we had read the reviews before we arrived but not before we had booked, so we were really dubious on our arrival,.. However, we we're greeted very welcomely and were shown our rooms (3),..now this inn is a 17th century building and yes it shows, but, for £37.50 each Inc breakfast it was a bargain, I'll admit it probably wasn't the cleanest place I've ever stopped in and probaly could do with a little more of a dust up,..Lewes us a very upmarket town and you will pay 3 times more to stop anywhere else, so basically you get what you pay for, which is fine, the breakfast was good served in the breakfast room off the conservatory, on our checkout, we spoke to the owner and mentioned our concerns ref the reviews, she said that if they spent the money to get the hotel up to greater standards she would have to increase the prices massively, and she dent want to do that simply because what they offer dioes have a market due to the low prices, star rating it's most definetly not 4 or 5 star, more lime 2 if I'm honest, but as I've already stated, that's fine !!
I have stopped in hotels 2/3 rd's of the world over and have found myself complaining at better rated hotels than this,... So overall, if you want a budget hotel with no frills stopping in a very up market town like Lews give this a try, but don't expect the Ritz.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Oby23

Reviewed 20 April 2012

Please remember this is one of the oldest buildings in Lewes. It is not the Hilton Hotel although the breakfast was 5 star.
My wife and I had a great stay. All the Staff I met were friendly, helpful and polite and that includes the Landlady.
The main bar is a pub and is used by pub people. If you want a posh bar with high prices then go somewhere else for a drink.
It is in the centre of Lewes, ideal for all the sites.
At least it had hot water, that's more than I have had in some expensive hotels.
Use it like the Inn that it is and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank IvorWilliams
Reviewed 17 April 2012

my friend and i stayed here on sat night just gone. my first stay in lewes as we were attending a history conference. we were greeted at the door by a load of smokers that we had to push through in order to get inside,nice!! our room was very old and tired with some sort of odd shower come toilet cubicle in the corner,defo from a caravan. how odd. we didnt used this as it really didnt look at all clean and nice. we went for our meal in the town where locals said we really shouldnt stay there,and i have to agree with them. i wish i didnt. on our return to the crown that evening we were greeted with the set from the jeremy kyle show. to say the staff were acting very unprofessionaly is an understatement. we left early the next morning and chose to avoid the breakfast for obvious reasons. we had a very nice breakfast in bills in the town. i recomend it. we went to pay at reception only to find the money was taken from my friends account early saturday before we even stepped foot in lewes. is this legal!!! i think not. so watch out every one but to be safe,just dont go there. dont go there !!

Room Tip: pick anywhere but the crown in
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank Emmalisa D
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I arrived alone on my bike on à rainy evening the lady at the bar week not to care. two men at the bar showed me a room or was it?Dirty just not possible. i should have been camping instead!!!
of course the bathroom was the smallest i could imagine and DIRTY the toilet did not flush!!!!
the worst was to come The BREAKFAST in an out of time dining room with DIRTY PLATES. and the taste Beurk. But i must say the lady who served and cooked was nice.
luckily the next time i will come go Lewes this place will be closed?!!

• Stayed: April 2012
6  Thank Hugues C
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We too stayed here to attend a (different) wedding reception. Lewes has an interesting one way system but once we had found the car park closest to the hotel we (4 adults) carried our bags in. Our welcome was very friendly and we were quickly shown our 2 rooms. The landlady explained how things worked-keys, fire exits etc. She even said she'd rescue the dog if necessary-something no-one else has ever offered-nice touch! Yes the room aren't huge but the towels (although not very big) were soft-and the shower was nice and hot and the bed comfortable. We had a TV and tea and coffee available. The place is one of the oldest in Lewes so the corridors are a bit narrow but we liked the character of the place. We had a good breakfast-plentiful and freshly prepared by another nice lady and the landlady was still nice and chatty too. I'm not sure what some people expect for the price paid. We were all perfectly happy here-and would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I have edited this review due to a complaint received by the owner. However, I believe every word of it to be true and a true representation of my experience. I say again - Don’t book here, don’t stay here. It is absolutely awful. Please believe only the bad things you read. The place looks like it hasn’t been cleaned in 10 years, the poor four poster bed slopes, the en-suite shower room is a wooden cube-like ‘Tardis’ built around a plastic caravan shower and toilet. The landing smells of fish. We found the staff (apart from the breakfast lady) rude and unhelpful. We went downstairs to complain about the loud music and they were sat smoking in the bar after hours– which I’m sure is illegal? The music continued until 1am, which in my opinion is ridiculous O’Clock. This kept us awake after a long and tiring car journey. The hotel has a ‘residents bathroom’ on the fishy smelling landing and every word they said could be heard from our room, including the most choice language whilst being drunk and their drunken antics could clearly be heard only adding to our insomnia. In my opinion the owner has not got a single clue about customer service or how to run a hotel, this review has been edited and re-posted following an irate phone message from the owner. I found the barmaid to be rude and obnoxious – upon our arrival, I said to her ‘Hello we’ve booked a room?’, with a smile and expected ‘oh yes this way please’ etc or something similar. I was greeted with ‘WHAT?’, I did not like having to repeat myself to someone so rude. The breakfast was cooked well although made from poor ingredients. I could not eat any of it. Please stay anywhere but here, it ruined my once a year visit to my Father, 236 miles away. Fawlty Towers would have been a more pleasurable stay. This was much worse than I had feared and one of the worst experiences of my life.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank ExpectantOne
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Stayed in the crown as we had a evening wedding reception near by. I agree the hotel is in need of a refurbishment! The staff are friendly, the rooms where clean and the breakfast is good! If you want 5 star then this is not the place for you!

• Stayed: March 2012