“Do Not Stay Here”

and 1 more site!
Crown Inn
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Lewes
Reviewed 15 August 2012

This has to be one of the most disgusting hotels I have ever booked! The whole premises are a very tired and smelly pub with almost hostel like accommodation. The bathroom and bedroom were filthy, covered in cobwebs and had clearly not been cleaned for some time.

I booked this via Booking.com and they would not even let me add a review because I didn't stay! There was no way we would stay having seen the room!

Room Tip: Did not see all rooms but whole place looked disgusting!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Tony K

Reviewed 3 August 2012

We booked a twin room at this inn a month ago thru Toprooms.com. Rang the Crown Inn twice to double check the booking and were assured everything was in order., We paid by Paypal which was taken out of account. We arrived today to be told they had not had the booking or the payment! I immediately contacted the booking agent who confirmed that they had in fact made this booking and had forwarded the payment. I cannot see how this establishment is still in business if this is how the operate. . Fortunately having paid thru paypal we will be refunded but not a good way to start a weekend break. This is the first time I have ever written a bad review for tripadvisor and I hope the last but I am so annoyed I had to put pen to paper.

Room Tip: Bookings made are unreliable.
Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank Scotty187049
Reviewed 2 August 2012

This pub hotel represents all that is tired, squalid and depressing about so many English small hotels, with very few redeeming features. Frankly, I really don't understand why they bother to stay open or why we continue to put up with them. Sounds harsh but I despair of all the grubby worn out hotels in this country!
We stayed one night b&b en route to Paris on our bikes. I was too tired to notice but our friends in the next room said they thought the bed linen had not been cleaned. The carpet on the ground floor looked like it had been ground into the floorboards circa 1970 and the remaining threads were only being held together by the grime.
It may well have been perfectly safe, but having looked into the messy kitchen we decided to forego our breakfast and have that at Bill's in the town instead (see my separate review about Bill's in Lewes).
The only positives were that the hotel staff were friendly and there was secure storage (the dilapidated 'conservatory' stuck on the back of the hotel) for our bikes.

Room Tip: Don't stay here at all, I don't think there are any good rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
8  Thank TACS56
Reviewed 2 August 2012

This hotel is the PITS and should have NO STARS. Dirty, noisy, eery, mouldy, we left without staying but could not get our money back:0(...DO NOT STAY HERE, it is awful....we could not have imagined staying and then eating breakfast.

Room Tip: Do NOT choose this hotel
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank surfsea
Reviewed 18 July 2012

I had booked this hotel a few weeks back. Really wish I hadn't of bothered. I was down in the area for a wedding, after arriving late in the afternoon I was looking forward to some chill out time in my room. I walked in carrying my luggage (after parking at the bottom of the road) no offer of help! Went to the cheek in desk tip area and waited for them to find my booking. As soon as I walked in I just had the gut feeling that this wasn't going to be the quaint looking Inn that I saw on the internet. I was shown up to my room and walked in. Oh dear. The smell, the look the bathroom it was just awful. I have worked in hotel and maybe thought it was just my room. Alas I was wrong. The so called bathroom was below human use. There were chips in the shelf and really filthy on the floor. The plug hole it self, well I dread to think how it got that bad. I sat on the bed and wanted to cry. I am new to Trip Advisor and decided to have a look if there were any reviews, oh how I found them! This Inn has such great potential but such a let down. I tried to call other local hotels but there were already booked up. Lucky I brought my own pillow and a towel to sleep on as it just felt so uncomfortable. Breakfast I can not comment on as I just couldn't bring my self to sit in a room that smelt like grease and booze. There are some lovely little cafes around, I managed to find a Costa! thank god!! I had no toilet paper and ended up in wait rose buying my own. Sunday morning arrived and I knew I just had to get out of there and get back to my home. I will be writing to the pub for a refund as I do not think it was value for money or fit for people to stay in. I had heard that it had been on the hotel tv show and quite frankly if Alex Polizzi couldn't fix it I really do not think anyone can.
I wish them luck as Its not great to see a business fail but maybe its time to stop ploughing money into something that is this bad and get some professional help?

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Francesca S
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I booked this place as the last room available anywhere in Lewes. Hotel was dirty, badly in need of refurb and although the staff were friendly and helpful I coun't get over the fact this has been rated 3 star!. The washbasin had dark hairs in, and the shower cubicle was odd - water hot but dribbling.. the bedding was cheap and the duvet barely adequate.
The breakfast was truly awful - bad coffee, cheap juice and the sausage inedible. The egg I asked for soft, was rubbery.
I shall book somewhere else well in advance next time, but if you're stuck this place is sure to have a room - presumably this is their business plan!!

Room Tip: Check the room before agreeing a booking
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank liz g g
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I cannot believe any of the reviews that give more than 1* - frankly I wanted to give no stars.

If you like the smell of old fish, a bathroom that is so filthy you won't use it and a toilet that probably hasn't been cleaned in months, let alone weeks then I suppose this is ideally suited.

If, on the other hand, you expect clean bedlinen, a clean bathroom and you don't want to cringe every time you turn a corner then this is not the place for you.

I have nothing against budget hotels but filth like this is revolting and the proprietor deserves to go out of business.

AVOID AVOID AVOID

Room Tip: Choose another place to stay
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank Chris H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
Pelham House
#2 of 2 in Little Horsted
The Dorset Inn
The Dorset Inn
#21 of 39 in Lewes

Been to Crown Inn? Share your experiences!