“Not as bad as some are saying, but not great either.”
Review of Crown Inn

and 1 more site!
Crown Inn
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Lewes
London
“Not as bad as some are saying, but not great either.”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This was a VERY last minute booking - we decided at 4pm on a Saturday to go away for the night in the South Downs, and the Crown was the first place we found that had vacancies. I booked over booking.com and can confirm what others have said - there is double booking going on. I honestly don't know if it's a problem with booking.com or the Crown, but when I turned up they had never heard of me and I was told that they had no rooms left. The landlady, (who could not have been nicer through my stay) took pity on me, and said that, as one of their other bookings hadn't turned up yet, I could have that one. The other people never did turn up. So definitely either book direct with the pub or ring them to check that they have received your booking.

The room was far from luxurious - a bit of a low-end B&B in need of a refit - but it was clean and everything worked. The pub downstairs would not be to everyone's taste - a bit rowdy with a very loud juke box, but not actually scary. However, the rooms are far enough away from the bar for this not to be a problem in the slightest - ours was silent.

Breakfast was perfectly ok and (unbidden) we were offered a part refund to make up for the mixup the night before. A very nice touch.

All told, I wouldn't be in any great rush to stay there again, but it offered decent value for money, bang in the centre of a very expensive town, and the friendliness of the staff makes up for a lot.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank waziotter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Hampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We needed a room at short notice for just the Saturday over the Easter bank holiday weekend. The fact that this place had a room should have been a warning. The bar was fine, the man that checked us in was polite and efficient and we had a very basic but good enough pub lunch. After that it all went downhill. What a dive. If I'm paying £90 for a double room I expect to get decent service, but no chance! The room - charged for extra because it has a four-poster - was awful. It was dingy, there were bit of grot (used tissues, torn up train tickets) on the window sills. The curtains were off the hooks on one rail and on a completely different rail on the other window. The furniture was awful. The light switch looked frankly dangerous, it was poised over a hole with missing plaster around it.

The so-called en-suite was shockingly bad. It was a wooden box built in the corner of the room, entirely lined in pink plastic and looked like it the sort of thing you'd get in a cheap caravan. The shower didn't produce hot water. The light was on a timer that went off in less time than in took me to have a pee and refused to go on again.

The bedding appeared spotless, but this was about the only good thing I can find to say.

We went out for the evening and got back at about 10pm. Some faintly scary looking men smoking on the doorstep "had a bit of a laugh" by trying to tell us we had to pay to go in. Nice.

Sleeping through the incessant thumping music from the bar was hard enough. Sleeping through a noisy altercation that sounded like someone being ejected was harder and then you realised how thin the walls were when I could hear someone in a different room snoring all night.

Breakfast. Oh dear. There was no information in the room about where to go or what time to expect breakfast. We had to guess. We guessed wrong and were too early. The manageress agreed it was cold but said she wasn't going to bother lighting the fire because it would take too long to heat the place. I couldn't help wondering why it hasn't been lit earlier.

Everything was served on small bar tables and the chairs were probably the filthiest I've ever seen. There were no menus and a woman appeared and informed us that she was the only one who ever did anything around the place and then shot out a list of what we could order. I had scrambled eggs on toast and coffee. The eggs could have been used for squash balls and the coffee was awful.

Then water staring coming through the ceiling because someone was in the bathroom.

Appalling. I've never stayed in a worse place.

Room Tip: Anywhere but here.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
18 Thank Sara M

Travellers are raving about these Lewes hotels

England, Kent,
Reviewed 20 April 2014

This hotel is a disgrace to Lewes and the good people that reside in the area.
Booked with booking dot com and they are clearly not showing the correct photos on their site either. Ticked the box to pay in cash upon arrival. Secured booking by credit card. The place was filthy and so neglected I wouldn't leave an animal there. The landlady Karen was rude and obnoxious. She took the money from our credit card regardless of the fact we walked straight back out of the room as it was so rotten. We are still fighting to get this back from booking dot com who clearly see there is a problem as they have offered us £40 of the £80 we paid.
I am going to write to Lewes Council as I really feel this hotel is doing damage to the town and I feel that people should be made aware of this ongoing problem whereas the landlady is intentionally double booking people to make more money and then seeing them on the streets with no where else to go for the night. This hotel should be avoided. Feel free to message me for more details and pictures.

Room Tip: Book into another hotel. Avoid this hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
20 Thank Mtwapamonkey
Dartmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I'm not one to make a fuss, and if something is not up a standard I expect, I wouldn't be lining up to complain, but I think people ought to know about a place before they book it.

I booked the room a few days before arriving and as I was pushed for time, I did not read any reviews - I thought, that as the price was £80 for B&B it would be about right. I wish I had. The landlady was friendly enough initially, though she seemed surprised that we had a room booked - and seemed to cross out the name of another guest on her book before allocating us a room. The room we were shown to was tired, dirty and in serious need of some renovation/daylight. The 'ensuite' is more like a cabin that is a plastic all in one job on the inside. This we could live with, and at a pinch, possibly we could ignore the overwhelming stench of urine (with the help of a few beers). When alone in the room, we pulled back the duvet to find a patch of a crusty, yellow substance and plenty of long hairs to boot. The towels (one large, one hand towel), were hanging behind the door and not looking or smelling very clean. Still we were prepared to stay if we could be assured of fresh towels and a change of sheet. My husband went down to ask if this were possible, whereupon the 'friendly' landlady became offensively defensive claiming that everything was clean and ironed. My husband was told, that if he didn't like it, we could leave and that she would give us our money back in full (despite the t & c's of the establishment). She then came upstairs and tried to pick off the crust on the sheet..unsuccessfully. At this point we decided we would rather sleep in the car, or the street than stay in such an inhospitable and frankly revolting place. The landlady seemed happy with this decision and virtually rushed us out the door grabbing money out the till to reimburse us as she went. Not quick enough though for us to catch her laughingly announce to a colleague that it was just as well we were leaving as she had double booked the room! You couldn't make this stuff up.

Very pleased to get our money back, however we were then left ringing around for b&b's for over 30 mins on a Saturday late afternoon with a dog. Thankfully our luck was in and we found 'Old Whily' in East Hoathly - absolute heaven in comparison.

I genuinely don't understand how anyone can stay here and have a good word to say about it - the only thing it has going for it is its location.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
21 Thank Sam K
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I stayed at a weekend and was not expecting much after reading reviews but I really couldn't believe the filthy ness off the place, I pulled the "housekeeper" and she didn't care, I then spoke to landlady and it went over her head!! I even overheard her say writing reviews on websites as "sad" I was so offended that this lady has this opinion of the people who actually pay her wages. Will never stay there again . Sloppy dirty terrible!!! Be warned.

• Stayed March 2014
13 Thank Darrencarn
London
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Hotel is old, bad service, everything is dated including the landlady /manager who wears dated clothes, she needs help. Double booked us, then blamed us , took cash which looked like it didn't go through the books.

• Stayed September 2013
18 Thank Karennutjob
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I was staying on a Sunday night so I would be on hand for a meeting on Monday morning. I did not have high expectations after reading reviews on Trip Adviser. I was pleasantly surprised. The staff were friendly. My room was large with a huge bathroom. It was clean warm and had everything I needed. Breakfast was good and the staff were very friendly.

All in all it was a clean pleasant place to stay and a real bargain. It is not a hotel. It is a pub with rooms to let and once you realise that you set your expectations accordingly. It will not have de luxe facilities and haute cuisine. That is why it is the price it is.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank salmckeown
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
White Hart Hotel
#1 of 1 in Halland
East Sussex National
East Sussex National
#1 of 2 in Little Horsted

Been to Crown Inn? Share your experiences!