“Highly recommended”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Have been twice to this Carvery in the last six months, and both times my party and I had a first class experience. Obviously the problems of a few years ago have been rectified, as we all found the staff friendly and helpful, the food fresh and an amazing selection of vegetables (nine last visit). As two of us are veggie, we wondered what sort of reception we would get at a carvery, but no problem - a delicious nut roast appeared, as did veggie gravy. Vast selection of generous-portion desserts, and drinks priced reasonably. Also, if you might be tempted to go regularly, as we are, ask for a loyalty card with discounts and free wine for regular visitors. Highly recommended

• Visited October 2012

Lewes
“Nice surprise”
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Driven past this place hundreds of times and never even considered driving out of Lewes to it, but a family member wanted a carvery, so....
Impressed by the size of the place and how friendly the staff were, especially to our disgustingly unruly toddler. Curious, rather half-hearted horse-racing theme, although the newmarket is the name of the field next to the pub where there was a new market once. Nothing to do with *that* Newmarket, although, most of the staff do look like ex-jockeys, bookies and other dodgy racecourse characters. Also, it's near the old Lewes race track.
Anyway, pretty standard carvery, arguably better than the one at The White Hart in Lewes, and in much neater and cleaner surroundings. Perfectly good drinks. Very reasonable prices. Restaurant was nice and warm despite the snow outside and the lack of other customers.
This was a Saturday and I asked if they were busy on match days at Brighton's new Amex stadium 1 mile down the road. The guy seemed puzzled by the question and said "No?"
Honestly, local businesspeople, could be making a killing with a "lunch, match and parking" offer.

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank Christnye
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Convenient Spot for Lunch between Lewes and Brighton”
Reviewed 22 December 2011

My review is based on dining at the Newmarket Inn. I have not stayed here as I live nearby in Brighton. The inn is very convenient to my business premise and is located on the A27 Brighton to Lewes road.
I took my FD here today for lunch. There is plenty of car parking space access to which is directly from the A27. The Newmarket is a no frills and pleasant enough place and I have always had a warm welcome here. Today was no exception. The inn has improved ten fold under new management.
My colleague and I both opted for the carvery, which seems to have received mixed reviews. Based on today's presentation we were both entirely satisfied: roast beef, roast turkey, baked gammon, savoy cabbage, cauliflower cheese, carrots, mixed beans and roast potatoes, with a rich gravy and a variety of sauces. Good, wholesome food at a very reasonable price. Just what you need for a quick business lunch.

3 Thank Mike4627
Brighton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Friendly atmosphere, good value for money, very good food”
Reviewed 16 August 2010

We chose the Newmarket Inn as the venue for our party to celebrate our Ceremony of Commitment. The landlady Cath was very helpful with the planning and was happy to cater for our every need. When we arrived on the day we were met with champagne and an excellent variety of food in our finger buffet both hot and cold and more than you could wave a very big stick at. Part way through the party Cath announced she was bringing the hot food out and promptly appeared with scampi and chips for everyone! All of the food was home cooked including some wonderful desserts. All of the staff were exceptionally helpful. We cannot praise this venue highly enough and would happily go back again.

1 Thank Chrisandpet
brighton
“What a surprise .......”
Reviewed 19 March 2010

Finding myself in the area and hungry from a long drive i ended up at the newmarket, this was mothers day and the place was packed, i was assured i would get a table as i was eating alone.
There was only carvary available and i have to say it looked lovely, the meat was fresh and the vegetables looked to be replaced quite quickley.
The meal was indeed lovely and just what i wanted.
When talking to the barman waiting for my table he informed me it had been taken over and was under new managment.....
from what i saw it looks like they were doing a good job.
I was shocked when i read the reviews on here but can assure people they will get a warm welcome and good food, just as i did.
good luck to the new managment .....