“A good night sleep; a little expensive”
Review of The Prospect

The Prospect
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lewes
The Prospect
Ranked #18 of 39 Lewes B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Within Lewes, the location of the Prospect is excellent between the High Street and the Park. Our room was clean and a decent size, the bed was very comfortable so we both had a good night sleep. We used the double room which meant that we had to cross the corridor to go to the bathroom but that wasn't a problem; though I wonder what happens when the twin room is also used as the bathroom appears to be an ensuite for the double room.

Our breakfast was superbly cooked and was a very hearty meal that comfortably filled us through to lunchtime. For a B&B it was a shame that the breakfast time is between 7:30-9:00am even on a Saturday and Sunday which seems a little early as I think there should be the option of a lay-in on a Sunday.

Another cause for concern is that whilst parking outside is ample; the road is extremely narrow so if you have anything larger than a small hatchback it's likely that tyres and wheels would scrape on the kerb as you drive along the street.

Overall it was a nice place to stay; it's not the cheapest but then Lewes isn't cheap to stay in. Personally I think although it was nice it is overpriced by £15-£20 a night, the current rate is not significantly different to what I would expect to pay for a hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Russell S
Sagehommes, Owner at The Prospect, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

I am sorry you felt breakfast was too early. It does say - on the breakfast request - that I am happy to serve breakfast at other times if asked.
The Lane is narrow, but all cars, rangerovers and small transit vans negotiate it. I tell guests, when they book, that the Lane is a medieval 'twitten'. There is the option to park in the street just below and I give guests parking vouchers. No one has damaged their tyres and we use the lane all the time, as do our neighbours.
I'm afraid that my prices are very competitive for Lewes - many of my competitors are now charging £10-£20 more than I do. I am very pleased, however, that you enjoyed your stay and your breakfasts!

There are newer reviews for The Prospect

Reviewed 26 January 2014

If you're looking at this, you probably already know that Lewes is an hour from London and 15 min from Brighton, but it's a charming (and buzzing) town in its own right. The Prospect doesn't have many room, but it's a real pleasure for the lucky few. It's just a 5 min walk from the Lewes train station, and has a stunning view of the Downs. Our room and bathroom were comfortable, large and well-appointed. Lynn's cooking was an absolute joy to behold, and she and Nick made us feel right at home. They're also full of information about the area (as well as its various excellent pubs). In the interest of full disclosure, we were there as friends of friends, and no doubt got the Deluxe Prospect experience, but I'm completely confident that other guests would have a similar experience as we did (clearly, 36 other reviewers before me felt the same way). We look forward to going back!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2013

This was the second time I have visited here with family, can't recommend it enough. It's slap in the centre of Lewes and has quiet a brilliant view from the breakfast room. Lynn and Nick are the most lovely people to speak to and have a great knowledge for the local area. The breakfasts are superb and a great choice of fruit and cereals followed by a great serving of a traditional English breakfast. Bedrooms are immaculate and modern, have no faults with this place at all. Simply can't say anymore as it's perfect place to stay in the heart of Lewes.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 November 2013

This is a fantastic b&b right in the middle of Lewes - comfy rooms with everything you need, delicious huge homemade breakfasts and kind, relaxed hosts. Very handy for the station/high street/wedding venue Pelham House.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I highly recommend the Prospect B&B. When travelling solo a warm welcome is especially important and I was made to feel at home and very welcome. The room was lovely, the view at breakfast delightful and the breakfast plentiful and delicious. Excellent value for money and a very convenient central location.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My partner and I stayed for one night as a short break in Lewes and Lynn and Nick made us feel incredibly welcome. It's a lovely place, the room was spotless as was the private bathroom, and the breakfast was very hearty with lots of choice. We'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I was in Lewes for a wedding and was able to walk from The Prospect to the church, station and the reception at the Town Hall, leaving my vehicle outside the house. After a 5 hour drive from Exeter, the pot of tea and naughty biscuits out on the back patio were most welcome. My room was really well appointed right down to the catetiere for the first stimulant of the day. Breakfast was in the open-plan upstairs area. And what a breakfast: the full english was exactly that, but supplemented with fresh fruit, cereals, yoghurt with home-made bread and marmalade.
An added bonus was having my own access key for the duration of my visit. Lyn is an excellent hostess in every respect and knows the area thoroughly - another useful asset. I will be back!

Room Tip: There are two double rooms either one of which can be 'en suite'. They are close together on...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo