“Fantastic specials”

Ranked #45 of 119 Restaurants in Lewes
Price range: US$0 - US$33
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Spice Merchant serves timeless Indian cuisine to dine in or takeaway. We procure the finest and freshest ingredients as it is the only way to ensure the food we serve is the best we can produce. In addition to dining in and takeaways, we offer a full outdoor catering service that can be tailored to suit any occasion and budget.
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

A bit noisy but it was a busy restaurant full of happy customers. Drinking eating, big parties, packed boothes... probably not ideal for a romantic evening but perfect atmosphere for bigger groups or friends. Starters are enormous mains are very tasty particularly the tiger prawns tandoori style and house special dish. A good wine selection for a curry house. Excellent service. A good night.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I'm updating my previous review in which I said this was the best Indian Take-away I've had in years. Not so much anymore I'm afraid.....

This has been our favourite local curry house since we moved into the area in December and we've supported them on a number of occasions. As we don't actually live in Lewes but just outside, we loved their food so much that we would ring up, order and then drive into Lewes to pick it up. 2 weeks ago we ordered our usual as a take-away and it was absolutely awful. The person who took our order in the restaurant was surly as well, where previously the staff have always been really courteous and pleasant. When we got the food home it was greasy and taste-less. The lam was really tough as well, where it had always been cooked to perfection. We couldn't understand what was going on because it has always been so fantastic previously. They've changed their menu so might have changed management....not sure.

I'd like to mention as well that the prices have shot up so not only is the food bad, but we now have to pay more for it than we did a month ago.
Won't be supporting them again I'm sorry to say. Very disappointing.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

had one of the best meals out in a long time here. the staff are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble. made a table for 18 for us and were very attentive all night, checking on drinks orders etc. great food, not rushed once we finished, got the impression that we would of been welcome to stay all night if we wanted.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Good. Some interestingly critical reviews of this on the local town website, but we had no difficulties. Quiet and food was quick. Waiters hover a lot, it's as if there's always one within distance. Wide range of food, not that I know what timeless cuisine is. But reliable and worth a return visit. Some sites claim it's very expensive - we had popadoms and main courses and drinks for £30. 10% tip automatically added to that. And a complementary digestif to round it off, which was nice of them. Maybe they recognised me from my tripadvisor mugshot?

Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Spice Merchant really is a cut above most curry houses. The dishes are all very fresh and never swimming in oil. The service is very efficient and friendly and the prices are reasonable. I particularly like the opulent decor!