“No complaints”

Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Lewes
nottingham
“No complaints”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

Just got back from a two night stay at this hotel through the Groupon deal. We were very apprehensive due to reading some of the extremely negative reports and indeed nearly did not bother to go but as we had been staying with my son in Eastbourne decided we could at least stay overnight on the way home. How glad I am that we did.

We were given a room on the first floor, room 11A and were full of trepidation walking to it. As soon as we opened the room door we noticed how cosy and warm it was and all worries on that score disappeared. It was comfortable and clean and we slept like logs on both nights. What more do you want?

The afternoon scones and tea were delicious but I must say the waitress was very surly but didn't curdle the milk so that didn't matter! The evening meal on both nights was lovely. We got it in with the deal on the first night but decided it would be nice to eat there again on the second night which we paid for of course. However, they gave us a second free bottle of wine the second night with our meal which was a nice touch we thought. We agree with some of the other reviewers that the dining room was rather gloomy and quiet so you felt you had to speak to each other in whispers. It certainly did not spoil the lovely meals though, of which there was a good choice, they were also very well cooked and presented as were the breakfasts. We could not fault these either as you could have a full cooked English if required, cereals, toast, tea, coffee, fruit juice, in fact everything you could wish for. In fact we had not complaint whatsoever with any of the food,

Tha spa was well equipped and my husband spent some time before breakfast there and was full of praise for the gym and pool. I had a look and was most impressed with the layout and wide range of things including a sauna and a stretching exercise room with the large gym balls provided. In fact of course it is a spa hotel.

Lewes is a lovely place and we spent a whole day walkin g around the town looking at the castle and Anne of Cleves House and walking through the ancient monastery ruins. There is plenty to do and a lot of small shops as well as the more well known High Street shops to have a look round. I loved walking round the town in all the side streets which had not altered for centuries. There was also a lovely park to sit in.

Would I go again? I certainly would. They told me they have an offer coming up so I am keeping a close eye on their web site.

I found the whole experience enjoyable. Yes. the hotel is in need of some refurbishment but for goodness sakes it is hundreds of years old and full of character and charm. Both my husband and I loved it. If you are looking for a sanitised and featureless environment go elsewhere. If, like us, you prefer olde worlde style, a place with a long and fascinating history, that is comfortable and full of character and charm then I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Royston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

Having seen the bad reviews we were expecting the worse. However, we were pleasantly surprised. It is true that the hotel is in need of refurbishment but the main part of the hotel is charming and full of character due to it's age. Sadly, the same cannot be said of the annexe ! The hotel is centrally situated in Lewes with all amenities at close range We found the staff very pleasant and helpful and the complimentary evening meal and cream teas were very good. Even the complimentary bottle of wine in the room was decent .All in all ,for what we paid for the two days we stayed ,it was great value .

Room Tip: The rooms in the main hotel are much nicer and with character. There are two refurbished rooms which...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Hounslow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

We had a groupon voucher and were treated like we should not be at this hotel. The friendliest member of staff had to be the lady cleaning the rooms in the annexe. Ah yes the annexe! If you are put here it feels like you are literally out in the cold. The weather was cold and wet and you have to cross the car park to access the main hotel complex. Keep your brolly handy! The rooms were advertised with satellite/cable TV but we had channels 1-5 and were fortunate to see our TV it was tiny as was the bed. No wifi unless in the main hotel.Cracked tiles in bathroom all needs updating. The spa was it's saving grace. Good pool, sauna, steam room and a small gym.Food ok. At breakfast we wanted to sit in the conservatory but were told some of the tables were reserved. Later it was obvious they were not because as more guests arrived they just sat where they chose to.Don't dare arrive after the finish time of service you will get your marching orders!

Room Tip: Try and ask for a room in the main hotel. The annexe is definitely not a good idea.
Coventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

Me and my husband booked the White Hart Hotel via Groupon deal to celebrate our 10th Wedding anniversary. I had read previous reviews and was really worried about what i would discover at this hotel. I was pleasantly surprised, the hotel is oozing in character and if you like the olde worlde look, then this hotel is for you. We had a room in the main hotel and it was a small room, but well equipped and in good clean condition with beams going from floor to ceiling. It was very quiet at night time and the bed was comfortable, The staff were very friendly and as there were no scones available for our part of the deal afternoon tea we were allowed to choose whatever cake we wanted.
The only downside i would say is the dining area. It appears that it is set up for a clientele of the older generation. The music played was bearing on depressing and the area could do with a bit of freshening up. It became a bit of a joke with myself and my husband, every time we sat down to have a meal in the restaurant there was always something missing from the table, be it a cup or a piece of cutlery. The breakfast was delicious which we had in the conservatory on both mornings. The evening meal which was part of the groupon deal was from a set menu which was simple but nice and we did not leave hungry.
The complimentary bottle of wine was a bottle of red which i do not like, so it was easily changed for a cold bottle of white which we had with our meal, along with a glass of sparkling wine.
The bar is also very nice and atmospheric, drinks are not cheap but i guess they are average price.
Overall we had a good few days stay and i think the hotel could do with some improvement but the character is amazing and very beautiful original features.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main hotel are the better option than the ones in the annex
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

We also had a Groupon voucher, and took our 5 year old son and 18 month old daughter along to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The town of Lewes is beautiful, full of history, and we all had a fantastic time. The staff could not have been more helpful. Jose on the front desk kindly stored our pram and lent me an umbrella to brave the weather, Phil helped set up the travel cot for our baby, and I have to mention Daniel, Frances, in fact, everyone we came into contact with - they really went out of their way to make our family's stay special. But biggest brownie points go to Trudy, who knows everything there is to know about the history of the town and the hotel, and really brings it to life. Thank you for your patience with my endless questions.

The hotel is not just 'old', it dates from 1546, with the exposed beams and wonky staircase to prove it. Thomas Paine was a valued patron, and his initials feature on the fireplace in the bar. Rumour has it that the ghost of the High Sheriff of Sussex haunts the place to this day, which is the sort of thing you would hope to hear about a hotel nearly 500 years old. It was clean and comfortable, we slept very well, the food and wine were superb. Yes, the rooms could be modernised, and yes, parking was pretty much a nightmare.

I can recommend a fantastic children's bookshop, Bags of Books, at the end of the High Street. I could have browsed for hours, there was such a fantastic range, and the books were very cleverly displayed. We talked to the owner, who clearly loves what she does.

My husband and son spent most of the weekend in the pool, whilst I and baby daughter tramped around the town visiting the sights - the ruins of the Priory were very evocative. You'll find stone from the Priory in the White Hart Hotel, as in many buildings dating from that period - people were very canny at 'recycling' back then.

The castle was fascinating, and the views spectacular, despite the driving rain. I loved the bowling green, which was once a tilting field - jousting, anyone? The gardens at the Grange were gorgeous, and we saw a wedding party there, enjoying a brief spell of sunshine for their photographs.

We stopped off at Newmarket Pub on the way home, HUGE meal, very reasonably priced.

Best weekend in a long time.

Room Tip: It's not modern. Embrace the history.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

I stayed at the White Hart during a week's work nearby. I never expect too much from a hotel, but this one was so bad to the point of being hilarious.
No greeting on arrival - the lady at reception has a lot to answer for after reading all the comments about her. She seemed extremely put out by the fact I had dared to check in.

When I parked I saw this old, dilapidated building, which I assumed was nothing to do with the hotel and surely was earmarked for demolition, or maybe used as a temporary shelter for homeless cats.
I laughed out loud when I was told I was staying there, I was in a good mood so thought 'why not'.
The room itself looked like one of the locations 'Trainspotting' was filmed in - you know, the halfway house with a rotten mattress thrown in the corner. No redeeming features whatsoever.
When you go on the website they have 49 pictures of the restaurant and swimming pool, none of the rooms - that made sense when I saw mine, they must be embarrassed.

This a quote from their website:
"Our Annexe rooms are separate from the main hotel and offer a more accustomed style of accommodation, these rooms are perfect for a weekend break with many having views of the South Downs National Park and the roof tops of the historic town."

Yes they are an "accustomed style of accommodation" I suppose, that if you are accustomed to spending the night in a smelly derelict building on a mattress that hasn't been changed for half a century. The view from my window was of the back of a white transit van and nothing else - very inspiring.
What with there being no internet, no view and no binoculars to see the 14 inch tv with four grainy channels, I decide to have a bath. The bath was about big enough for me to sit upright in and every now and again grout would fall from the cavernous, hair-filled gaps between the cracked tiles.

Enough said. I actually ended up commuting a round trip of 150 miles everyday in rush-hour traffic from my home in London to avoid staying in this filth pit. The staff there must endure hell from disappointed guests, which may explain their indifference towards them.

Room Tip: Don't go here. If you absolutely have to stay at this hotel, then avoid the annexe at all cost.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Sam A

Travellers are raving about these Lewes hotels

Maldon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

We also had a Groupon deal offering cream teas, red wine in the room on arrival, a 3-course dinner and full breakfast.

The staff were very accommodating about the cream teas informing us that we could have it on either day. We had it on the day we arrived, spending a leisurely couple of hours on a wet and miserable day.

The room was tired but a very good size and clean. Somewhat surprising was the outdated tv and the size of it - tiny! But hey, we don't go away to watch telly, it's just on in the background while getting ready. My Husband enjoyed the red wine (I'm a white wine drinker) complimenting the quality.

The 3-courser was excellent, and the service extremely good. Likewise, the breakfast was excellent and the staff very attentive. All in all, the stay was good and we would certainly return.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Carol R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
Pelham House
#1 of 2 in Little Horsted
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,137 reviews
Premier Inn Lewes Town Centre
Premier Inn Newhaven Hotel

Been to White Hart Hotel? Share your experiences!