“Very faded glory”
Review of White Hart Hotel

White Hart Hotel
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Lewes
Reviewed 13 September 2012

This must once have been a really good hotel, but the maintenance and decor in the public areas has been much neglected. Perhaps all the money has gone into the leisure complex.
The room itself was clean, and more recently decorated than the stairs and corridors leading up to it. However, the floor sloped in both directions, and we found during the night that the sleeper on the upper side of the bed could not avoid rolling down to the lower side, so that the occupier of this was in frequent danger of being tipped out onto the floor!
Otherwise, apart from an eccentric TV - the receptionist had to come up to explain how to work it- the room was adequate. At breakfast we found that we had to collect missing items of cutlery and crockery from neighbouring tables. It was interesting to eat cereals with soup spoons.
The room rate was very cheap for the hotel's central position, but I'd have preferred to pay more and get more.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tony R
There are newer reviews for White Hart Hotel

Reviewed 11 September 2012 via mobile

Stayed as part of a wedding party for two nights. Its an odd place.

The car park is down an alleyway under the hotel with entry restricted by a barrier. So first thing before you arrive you must go to reception and find someone to open up (the receptionist seemed disgruntled and slow to deal with that request) .

Our room was in the annex which is down a steep slope. It was smelly when we arrived even though the external door to carpark was wide open.

The decor was drab and dated, with itchy blankets and marks on the bedding. It took about 5mins to get the tv working as various cables had been pulled out.

Breakfast is self service with a choice of cereals, tinned fruit, yogurt and sometimes croissonts. Tea, coffee and toast (they ran out of white bread) are brought to the table by a very busy but pleasant waitress.

Guests are offered the cooked breakfast for an extra £5, a request id rather not deal with at breakfast. It didn't look like anything special and someone in our party was served food they had specifically asked not to have because of an allergy.

Talk at the surrounding tables seemed to be dominated by interrupted sleep, in hot or noisy rooms.( there is a very loud aircon unit outside the main building)

Didn't have much contact with the staff who seemed to be busy and always dealing with issues. Approached with request and had to interrupt a heated "discussion" behind the desk. Not good service.

Just as well it was good wedding with good company.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We visited Lewes as we had heard that it was an attractive little town, which indeed it is. We decided to stop for coffee and stopped at the White Hart, as from the outside, it looked a quaint and typical English hotel. I asked the bar staff whether it was possible to have some coffee and we were told to sit where we liked. I ordered two coffees from a member of staff and asked her where I could find the ladies. To my utter amazement, she insisted on payment for the coffee before she would tell me where the ladies toilet was situated. I can honestly that in all our travels to many, many countries around the world, I have never been asked to pay for my coffee before being permitted to use the ladies cloakroom. The coffee, when it did appear was barely adequate. Alex could build an entire new series out of this hotel!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank gillcardiff357
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Hello,
I would like to share my horrible experience with the TripAdvisor community.
I planned to spend the bank holiday week-end in this hotel with my other half and my 1 years old baby.
We arrived on Friday the 24th of August at about 21:30 pm.I have called about 5 days earlier and made them aware of my ETA.On my booking I was explicit that we needed a baby facility and a double room.
I booked in at the reception, collect the key and made my way to the annex.On my way to the room I was already ware of the state of the hotel.Pretty bad, smelling like an hash tray.
My disappointment was just at its dawn.As soon as I unlocked the room I was presented with a cringing view.
The room looked like a set for an adult movie of the 1970.I don't think there are words to describe the careless applied to this part of hotel.
The bathroom would appear to be clean but I honestly would have let my baby in there.I suspired and tried to see the good side.Unfortunately there were none.
No baby cot was in the there ,instead of a double room I got two single beds.
Too many issues if you ask me.
Well I made my way to the reception and surprise surprise they got the booking wrong.
Fair enough that can happen to anyone I said.But their incompetence as yet to reveal its true color.
They did not have another room to give!
Was either that or nothing.I tried to make a point that we couldn't stay in those conditions.I was upset as you can understand , after 4 hours driving from Cambridge a baby that needs to be sorted,the hotel room that is disgusting and not what I have paid for.
Ergo , after a little discussion a lady that had no manners and no oral hygiene came along and tried to do something.
When I said something I mean nothing.
She was rude, obtuse and with absolutely no clue in how to work in the hospitality business.Ans she was in charge.
I was gutted.
Stay here for tonight and tomorrow we will try to sort this out, she said.
I am sorry " try " is not good for me.
I would have preferred driving back to Cambridge or spending the night in an asylum, that stay there one more minute.
Luckily for me and my family we managed to get a clean and beautiful room somewhere else at around 11:00 pm.
Please be aware that this review is based on the annex and their customer service only.I didn't see the main hotel rooms or had any food or used the SPA facility, I can not comment on that.
But based on what I have experienced you are better off somewhere else.
The hotel hall is dirty , I think the carpet has not been cleaned in centuries.The reception staff need to do an extensive course in hospitality.
Above all ....clean the place, make it up to date.The year is 2012 not 1970.Wake up!!!!!
On a different note super Break support is brilliant, made a complaint the next day and received full refund.Go on PayPal !!!!

Room Tip: After the bad experience that night I managed to get a beautiful room at the Premier Inn.Go for it t...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank AlessandroLeo
Reviewed 29 August 2012 via mobile

Tired old hotel, in need of a makeover. Rooms very shabby. Pretty run down place, service on reception was polite but waitresses serving breakfast were very rude and made it clear they could not give a damn. In fact we had to leave without having breakfast as lack of service and rudeness became an intolerable joke. Someone needs to take over this hotel as it could be something special, if only they tried.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank OrbitXL5
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Great hotel. Lots of character. It's a real shame that the hotel reception staff (day) let the whole place down. They seem like they don't really want to be there, no people skills whatsoever. I don't post reviews on this site but felt compelled. Hopefully the manager might review this situation. On the plus side (and there are many!!) the rooms are very clean, spacious and lovely night staff who sorted us out a few drinks on our return from a nearby wedding! Bar open late, car park and very central location! Swimming pool was an added bonus.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Appalled at the state of this place!!
We were a family group of 7 who travelled for approx 5 hrs to all gather at Lewes for a family wedding. One family member travelled from Canada to enjoy our celebrations I was so embarrassed & ashamed that we had booked this place.

It was old, out dated run down smelled damp musky and quite frankly vile! The rooms were not cleaned adequately the bathroom was terrible. Broken tiles shabby towels and mats. Lime scale over taps etc. The bed linen was clean but the mattress and bed base had stains on it that I would not even like to hazard a guess at what there were!!

The "continental" breakfast was toast, cereal and some chopped up fruit. By no means continental. Of which one of the guests found rotten grapes in it BEFORE she started eating it, thankfully!

The staff had given up the will to live let alone work. One lady in the breakfast team was so rude she was actually quite nasty! The duty manager was sympathetic but unfortunately this did not really make up for the horrid stay we had!

Had the surrounding hotel not been fully booked we would have moved!!

Be warned, I wish I had read this first before we booked!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank karra y
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
Pelham House
#1 of 2 in Little Horsted
White Lodge B&B
White Lodge B&B
#1 of 1 in Cooksbridge

Been to White Hart Hotel? Share your experiences!