“a pretty awful hotel which needs modernisation desperately”
Review of White Hart Hotel

White Hart Hotel
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Lewes
Reviewed 5 October 2013

You can tell that the White Hart was once a smart hotel in the middle of this historic town. However, it clearly hasn't had any investment or redecoration for years. I had a room in the annexe which was straight out of the 1970s. The first room I was given was a ground floor one with no lock on the patio door (this for a female solo traveller who had specifically asked not to be on the ground floor). To be fair to the hotel they moved me upstairs without demur into a very similar room with a TV that didn't work properly (and which reception said they couldn't fix as it was due to the reception in the area). Two positives are location - the hotel is right in the middle of town and therefore handy for the station and restaurants - and that there is a swimming pool for the use of guests. However, my stay wasn't a very pleasant one, the room was incredibly hot (even with the window open this did little for the temperature) and the bed wasn't comfortable. I went out to eat as I didn't fancy the look of the dated dining room. I wouldn't stay here again unless it is modernised/changes hands.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank veronica F

Reviewed 4 October 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
GAC380, General Manager at White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in September, paying £45 a night. I was in the Annex on the upper floor. The rooms are very dated and a bit tired. with a 70s/80s feel to them and were really in need of updating. The room however was clean, if a little on the small side. Although the room had a window, this didn’t open, so the air did feel a bit stale (and I imagine in the summer would lead to unbearable heat). The bed wasn’t the most comfortable I’ve slept on, not helped that the floors and building seems to be very creaky and the walls relatively thin. However the toiletries were good quality and there was everything you'd need for your stay including a hairdrier and a large wardrobe. Despite the dated appearance the hotel does have a lot going for it. The central location (right in the High Street and less than 5 minutes walk from the station) make it ideal for a short stay to explore the area. The breakfast is good quality, the health club is great (especially the pool) and the staff were friendly. There’s also free Wi-Fi in the bar area.

For £45 a night I found it more than acceptable (especially considering the price of other hotels in the local area) and felt I got value for money, especially as the breakfast was included. Anything over £60 and I would have felt ripped off. If you don’t mind slightly dated rooms or aren’t staying in them that long, the hotel is a good option.

Bad points – Dated décor. Window in room didn’t open offering no fresh air. Thin walls and creeky floors!

Good points – Cooked breakfast. Health club. Location. Price (if booked well enough in advance)

Tips – Book in advance to bag the best rates, I’ve seen it as low as £40 a night. The hotel is about a minute for Pelham House, so if you are attending a function there save yourself a lot of money and stay at the White Hart,.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I will start with the positives. The hotel is very handy. It is right in the centre of the town and has a car park, which is actually quite important in Lewes because most of the on-street parking is residents only, or you have to keep going out to top the meter up.

The staff were very friendly too and when I complained the TV wasn't working in my room there was a new one there when I got back.

The bar still has that olde world feel and you can picture the place being a very popular coaching inn hundreds of years ago.

The breakfast was also plentiful and there was plenty of choice, while sitting in the conservatory to eat it also offers views over the rolling hills of the South Downs.

I was staying here because I could not get a place in Brighton due to the Labour Party Annual Conference. Lewes is only about a 15 minute drive to Brighton and the train station just down the hill from the hotel provides a direct link to the coast, or indeed up to London.

I had read many of the posts on here re the state of the hotel and kept an open mind. I was swayed to book up following a review from a girl who had her wedding there this summer.

The reality is the place is so so tired. It was probably a lovely place to visit in its heyday, which I would imagine was the late 70s or early 80s, judging by the decor of the pool and fitness club.

I had a swim. The pool was a decent size but it just seemed so old and run down and faded. For instance I placed my trunks on the shower curtain rail while having a shower and they ended up with rust on them. There is a very 80s feel about the whole thing.

My room (51) was in the annexe. The bathroom was stunning because I have not seen anything like it for 30 years! Old, faded, peach tiles, a toilet in the same colour with a white seat! A cracked sink, cracked tiles on the side of the bath and hot water out of the cold tap!

The hotel also had an odour of cigarettes about it which gave me the impression the carpets haven't been swapped since the smoking ban came in. I was doing some stretching exercises on the floor of the room one day and the stench of stale tobacco was awful.

This could have come from someone breaking the rules and smoking in a non-smoking room - but I doubt it. I noticed the same smell when walking through the reception area downstairs in the fitness centre as well.

I wouldn't stay here again. It needs a massive amount of money spending on it and it wasn't cheap either. It cost £85 a night. For far less I had a much nicer room at the start of the week across town in The Dorset Inn.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We stayed here in March for 2 nights and enjoyed our stay although our room needed an overhaul.
It was freezing cold so we asked for a heater at reception which was delivered to our room within an hour.
We used the pool and sauna which were excellent and looked at the gym before deciding it was hard work and going to the bar instead.
We ate in the restaurant one evening which was lovely as was breakfast. The afternoon tea seemed very popular with people coming into the hotel although we did not try this, maybe next time if we can find it on the internet at a good rate. Would I pay more for a room, yes but then I would expect a better room?!
Overall for what we paid it was a good choice in a great location.
The car park was quite small for the size of the hotel so if staying when it is full that could be a problem.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed at the white hart in lewes for 8 days. The hotel is in need of some TLC, but they are working toward that with the new management. We booked before the new management took over, so I don't know what they had to offer, but we had a Good Experience, in a historic old town. The management was very accommodating, they took care of the room. The service was fine, the breakfast great.
It is old so there are somethings people should be aware of, the floors are a bit sloped as you walk through the hallways, and there are other things to be addressed.
We are from the USA and weren't looking for a modern hotel in Lewes. This was a great part of our trip and truly enjoyed the hotel and its staff.
Sincerely
,marsha and fred cantor

Room Tip: We were in the main part not the annex, it was great.