“Prevetative Sales Department”

Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Lewes
South West
“Prevetative Sales Department”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

If it's a welcome you want - don't go here.
The sign outside has a letter that is not working and almost falling off. It says a lot about the property.
Decided to eat in the hotel as it serves food all day. What a letdown.
Staff scowled and were rude as it was 2.50pm in the afternoon.
Could not sit in restaurant/conservatory as advertised. Offered a seat in a waiting area on lounge seats and told we could eat there and order in the not salubrious coffee shop. The menu was dumbed down to match the dumb service.
They managed to prevent the sale very effectively. We walked out and will not be returning.
The plave was empty, the staff totally uninterested in us and it looked like a good overhaul and clean were seriously overdue.
If I were in the hotel business, I would buy this place at a knock down price and invest as the locations is excellent. It's begging for a serial hotel developer to put it out of it's misery.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else - thats the best tip
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
GAC380, General Manager at White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
I don't mind criticism - but I dislike rudeness. Having taken over the management of the hotel in the last few months I have been impressed with the attitude of many of the staff here. I am afraid your comments do little to inspire them to move forwards. Many of our reviewers comment on how attentive the staff are and all departments have been very supportive as we make changes.

Yes there is work to be done and we are moving forwards addressing certain standards and staff training. Please think carefully or speak to the management of an organisation before posting such a damming report.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
Leicester
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I appreciate this building is very old & a bit wonky, but I'm sure a bit more could be done to improve guest comfort.

Wifi only in public areas - ok, but have somewhere for laptops to be plugged into in said public areas. Only 2 sockets in the bedroom. Room was sweltering - had asked at reception for a fan which never materialised. Balcony area had loose & cracked floor tiles.

Breakfast was good, plenty of choice.

Wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Babydoll_blu

Travellers are raving about these Lewes hotels

Sawbridgeworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2013

After reading all the awful reviews I was very worried about our stay. I was so pleasantly surprised though. Our room (26) was lovely and very clean, there were even towel swans on our bed! All staff very friendly and helpful. We ate in the restaurant the first night and although it was very empty the food was lovely. Great value for money and very good location.

Room Tip: 26 was an attick room in main building and very cosy.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you! What more can I say apart from how much we appreciate the trouble you have taken in writing in such a positive way. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Bath, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Ultimately this hotel is just really poor value for money. My fiancé and I paid £80 for a room and service that was worth £39 maximum. The actual building was quite nice, however, we were put in the annex, which was a terrible 80s prefab building with broken doors. We had booked a double but were given a twin, the room looked like it had been subject to meagre decoration work in around 1987 and absolutely stank of old cigarette smoke, so much so that the smell did pass to our clothes and bed sheets.
We asked for a change of room (the entire rest of our party were also situated in the main hotel, whilst we had been relegated to annex) but were told that this was not be possible. The service was dreadful, we had to wait a very long time to be acknowledged at the reception and when we were it was with a certain air of contempt.
Breakfast was barely adequate and again, very poor service. There were lovely views from the breakfast room, however, this just made me feel that it was such a shame that a hotel in such a prime location and lovely town could be so shoddy,
It is good that there is parking, however it was a bit of a squeeze, the only space we could fit in was actually half filled with old hotel beds, which made it a little tricky to park in and looked very shabby.
We only stayed there because the hotel excepted dogs, but if I have the opportunity to go back to Lewes again, I would definitely look elsewhere for accommodation. Quite the rip off.

Room Tip: Stipulate when you book that you will not be situated in the annex, when we booked this was not ment...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Milly C
GAC380, General Manager at White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you for posting this review, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us but I do think that certain points ought to be put into perspective.

I appreciate your comments about the annexe, there is some work to be done, but our housekeeping staff have worked incredibly hard over the last few months to ensure that the rooms in this part of the hotel are maintained at the highest standard. Maintenance issues are being dealt with. I am sorry that you were inconvenienced.

However I would like to challenge your comments regarding the requested room change, unfortunately these omitted details mislead potential clients to believe that that we are not attentive.

1. We did not know that your reservation was part of a larger group, your reservation had been made through a booking agent which led us to believe that you were sole travellers.

2. The reception was busy at the time, and I appreciate that you had to wait a few minutes, however you were acknowledged by myself whilst we were busy with arrivals.

3. You will recall that we carried out a survey of remaining arrivals to see if we could move you to be with your friends, however as it was after 3.00pm most of the guests had arrived, I was unable to re-locate you. I realise that you were disappointed but I am offended that you have construed the matter as being dealt with 'with a certain air of contempt', unfortunately we were unable to satisfy your request on this occasion.

4. I am sorry that breakfast was not up to standard, particularly as we have received so many compliments about it recently.

We are constantly seeing ways to improve both the facilities at the hotel, your comments have been taken seriously and will be used in our efforts to raise the level of customer service.
eastlondon
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights 18th19th oct 13' for my nieces wedding , the main hotel is very nice and has character , but the annex is a different matter , we stayed in room 45 and the bathroom leaved a lot to be desired , pink bathroom suite , with a white toilet seat that never stayed up ,ceiling artex bulging , floor tiles cracked , wall tiles cracked near taps , a hidden shower that just about flowed and a shower rail that was'nt fixed and as you pulled the shower curtain it just fell apart leaving the shower curtain needed to be re hung !!!
As it was my nieces wedding we payed our £95 per night and mention the bathroom problems only to be told by the man on reception that "yes we have had complaints about this room before " not even an appology or a reduction in rates !!!!!
I must say the food put on by the hotel for breakfast and for my nieces wedding was very good and bar staff a good laugh but as for staying there i would ask to stay in the main hotel and give the annex a miss esp dreaded room 45 !!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay in Main Hotel !!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank pgooner
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stayed in the Annexe-having been in a lovely old room before when I stayed a few years ago in the main medieval part of the hotel. Positives are that the hotel is in a great location on a nice old-fashioned high street, with parking, and the staff were really helpful. Our heating had a problem and it was repaired quickly-we were lent an electric heater in the meantime. The manager tells me ownership has just changed and they are looking to make improvements.

Room Tip: Ask not to stay in the annexe!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you, we will and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

After reading many poor reviews on the White Hart, I was pleasantly surprised to find a small but very clean room , a new bathroom, and a nice quiet atmosphere . Breakfast was great . Will be staying there again . Great value.

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you, I think that recent changes to menus, a review of the way in which housekeeping is managed and some changes in the facilities we offer have had had a marked effect. I am delighted that you will consider returning and I look forward to welcoming you back.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
Pelham House
#1 of 2 in Little Horsted
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,145 reviews
Premier Inn Lewes Town Centre
Premier Inn Newhaven Hotel

Been to White Hart Hotel? Share your experiences!