“Well, we like it!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Lewes
London, United Kingdom
“Well, we like it!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

This is not my first review of the White Hart, my wife and I are serial visitors here, some might say gluttens for punishment, but having read so many harsh reviews, I would like to put the record straight, we are realistic about what should be expected, and in any case, for us, putting aside all the obvious defects, and neglect, the place does have some charm, the staff we have actually found on the whole friendly and helpful, and it is situated in a marvelous part of Lewes, a lovely little Town, and a 3 minute walk to the train station, there is parking if required, quite simply, if we wanted 5 star luxury then we wouldnt be coming here!

Our most recent stay was from a Friday night for three nights, the first two nights were part of a deal that gave us dinner on the first night, and cooked breakfast for both mornings, we tagged an extra day on and a part of that deal was cream tea in the afternoon and a bottle of wine, we payed a very reasonable amount for all this, and the food here is more than acceptable.

The view across the Downs is lovely when having your food, in the Summer you can sit outside and take it in with a drink, it has facilities, swimming pool, sauna and steam room, ok, it needs modernising, but is still a pleasant way to spend an hour, and it easy perfectly placed in the Town, and easy to take a bus into Brighton that only takes 25 mins.

Our room this time was actually the best we have stayed in in all our visits, so perhaps the owners are gradually sprucing the place up, so we had another very enjoyable break.

For all those that moan about the place, seriously, read the reviews, and then don't bother coming, if you have unrealistic expectations then yes, you will go away dissapointed, be realistic, look for the plus points, and consider how much you pay, then perhaps you will enjoy your stay.

We have witnessed staff taking all sorts of unwarrented abuse over the years, very little of it justified, some have commented about the staff's attitude, but I am a firm believer that if you treat people decently, then they in turn will treat you the same!

We shall certainly continue to come here, it would be nice to see some continued improvements being made, but we are looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Main building is best.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Martin C
GAC380, General Manager at White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Thank you so much for your support, The White Hart certainly has character and I am delighted that you have taken such a measured view of the hotel and its facilities. Yes, there is work to be done and we are working hard to improve the facilities, modernising where possible. Your remarks about the staff and their attitude is so encouraging, a great boost to morale. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
Guildford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

Though the historic White Hart has received many poor reviews, it holds three secrets that are worth revealing!

The first is not the appalling state of parts of the building - especially the conservatory, pool & gym - which are sorely in need of reconstruction. Neither is it the interior decor in the public rooms, all of which need complete refurbishment. Nor yet is it the squeakiest floorboards I've ever heard in the older bedrooms. Nor even the mattress like a hammock on which we tried to sleep!

The first secret is the helpful, hardworking and friendly staff who went out of their way to make our stay as comfortable & enjoyable as possible.

The second secret is the value for money. Though the food is by no means Michelin starred, the room, breakfast & evening meal rate was very reasonable.

The third secret is that Lewes has the best Firework Night torchlight parade in the UK and the White Hart is bang in the middle of it all. Situated on the High Street it is the ideal place to stay on November 5th. With our friends we have done this two years running and would be delighted to return any time.

Stayed November 2013
I enjoyed reading your review, thank you and we look forward to seeing you again next year. Bonfire night is certainly a memorable night in the town but there are many other facets to Lewes worth exploring at other times of the year.

Your comments regarding the hotel have been taken seriously and we are moving along to realise its full potential. The staff here do a great job and are very supportive as we make changes and I am delighted that their efforts have been recognised by our guests.

Your support is much appreciated, I look forward to welcoming you again in 2014
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

I stayed for 4 nights, a very nice hotel the staff at reception were friendly, he even helped me with my baggage to my room..
I'm a pure vegetarian ( No eggs, etc ) and the breakfast was to my taste.. no problem.
House keeping staff nice and helpful..
Will always stay when am in Lewes..

Room Tip: Do your Booking early -- 2 weeks
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back.
South West
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

If it's a welcome you want - don't go here.
The sign outside has a letter that is not working and almost falling off. It says a lot about the property.
Decided to eat in the hotel as it serves food all day. What a letdown.
Staff scowled and were rude as it was 2.50pm in the afternoon.
Could not sit in restaurant/conservatory as advertised. Offered a seat in a waiting area on lounge seats and told we could eat there and order in the not salubrious coffee shop. The menu was dumbed down to match the dumb service.
They managed to prevent the sale very effectively. We walked out and will not be returning.
The plave was empty, the staff totally uninterested in us and it looked like a good overhaul and clean were seriously overdue.
If I were in the hotel business, I would buy this place at a knock down price and invest as the locations is excellent. It's begging for a serial hotel developer to put it out of it's misery.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else - thats the best tip
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
I don't mind criticism - but I dislike rudeness. Having taken over the management of the hotel in the last few months I have been impressed with the attitude of many of the staff here. I am afraid your comments do little to inspire them to move forwards. Many of our reviewers comment on how attentive the staff are and all departments have been very supportive as we make changes.

Yes there is work to be done and we are moving forwards addressing certain standards and staff training. Please think carefully or speak to the management of an organisation before posting such a damming report.

Travellers are raving about these Lewes hotels

Leicester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

I appreciate this building is very old & a bit wonky, but I'm sure a bit more could be done to improve guest comfort.

Wifi only in public areas - ok, but have somewhere for laptops to be plugged into in said public areas. Only 2 sockets in the bedroom. Room was sweltering - had asked at reception for a fan which never materialised. Balcony area had loose & cracked floor tiles.

Breakfast was good, plenty of choice.

Wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Babydoll_blu
Sawbridgeworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

After reading all the awful reviews I was very worried about our stay. I was so pleasantly surprised though. Our room (26) was lovely and very clean, there were even towel swans on our bed! All staff very friendly and helpful. We ate in the restaurant the first night and although it was very empty the food was lovely. Great value for money and very good location.

Room Tip: 26 was an attick room in main building and very cosy.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you! What more can I say apart from how much we appreciate the trouble you have taken in writing in such a positive way. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Bath, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Ultimately this hotel is just really poor value for money. My fiancé and I paid £80 for a room and service that was worth £39 maximum. The actual building was quite nice, however, we were put in the annex, which was a terrible 80s prefab building with broken doors. We had booked a double but were given a twin, the room looked like it had been subject to meagre decoration work in around 1987 and absolutely stank of old cigarette smoke, so much so that the smell did pass to our clothes and bed sheets.
We asked for a change of room (the entire rest of our party were also situated in the main hotel, whilst we had been relegated to annex) but were told that this was not be possible. The service was dreadful, we had to wait a very long time to be acknowledged at the reception and when we were it was with a certain air of contempt.
Breakfast was barely adequate and again, very poor service. There were lovely views from the breakfast room, however, this just made me feel that it was such a shame that a hotel in such a prime location and lovely town could be so shoddy,
It is good that there is parking, however it was a bit of a squeeze, the only space we could fit in was actually half filled with old hotel beds, which made it a little tricky to park in and looked very shabby.
We only stayed there because the hotel excepted dogs, but if I have the opportunity to go back to Lewes again, I would definitely look elsewhere for accommodation. Quite the rip off.

Room Tip: Stipulate when you book that you will not be situated in the annex, when we booked this was not ment...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Milly C
GAC380, General Manager at White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you for posting this review, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us but I do think that certain points ought to be put into perspective.

I appreciate your comments about the annexe, there is some work to be done, but our housekeeping staff have worked incredibly hard over the last few months to ensure that the rooms in this part of the hotel are maintained at the highest standard. Maintenance issues are being dealt with. I am sorry that you were inconvenienced.

However I would like to challenge your comments regarding the requested room change, unfortunately these omitted details mislead potential clients to believe that that we are not attentive.

1. We did not know that your reservation was part of a larger group, your reservation had been made through a booking agent which led us to believe that you were sole travellers.

2. The reception was busy at the time, and I appreciate that you had to wait a few minutes, however you were acknowledged by myself whilst we were busy with arrivals.

3. You will recall that we carried out a survey of remaining arrivals to see if we could move you to be with your friends, however as it was after 3.00pm most of the guests had arrived, I was unable to re-locate you. I realise that you were disappointed but I am offended that you have construed the matter as being dealt with 'with a certain air of contempt', unfortunately we were unable to satisfy your request on this occasion.

4. I am sorry that breakfast was not up to standard, particularly as we have received so many compliments about it recently.

We are constantly seeing ways to improve both the facilities at the hotel, your comments have been taken seriously and will be used in our efforts to raise the level of customer service.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
Pelham House
#1 of 2 in Little Horsted
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,112 reviews
Premier Inn Newhaven Hotel
Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club

Been to White Hart Hotel? Share your experiences!