The White Hart Hotel
  • Restaurant
White Horse Hotel(Rottingdean)
Horsted Place(Little Horsted)
View Hotel
East Sussex National(Little Horsted)
The Bull(Ditchling)
1,019 results
All reviewsgroupon dealleisure facilitiessauna and steam roomhistoric hotelsloping floorscourse dinnerlots of characterfour poster bedfull english breakfastsouth downsbeamsfires
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 January 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Lovely location and good parking! Our room was just unbearably hot in January so we had to sleep with our windows wide open. There were no controls on the radiators. Staff all very pleasant, breakfast was fine.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bckyweb
GAC380, General Manager at The White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Thank you, sorry for the delay in replying. Yes, our old sign can make a noise when the weather is bad, not the easiest problem to solve but now that we seem to be in a calmer weather pattern, our maintenance team will try to fix it!

We are pleased that despite this problem you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

This is another Legacy hotel and very nice it was to. In the main street half way up the hill. We were in Lewes to look around the antique shops and we were not disappointed.
The first room we were shown was in the eves a lovely room but too many stairs for me. We asked if we could change rooms and yes, things were sorted, no problem, thank you.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
GAC380, General Manager at The White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Thank you for such a positive review, we are pleased that you enjoyed yourselves and found the staff to be accommodating. I should point out that we are no longer part of Legacy Hotels, but continue to uphold their standards and develop our own policies. We hope that you will return to Lewes in the near future and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed from Christmas Eve to Boxing Day and were very happy with the hotel. We had room 27 which was all beams and character. On arrival we had sandwiches and a cream tea and all the meals were of a very high standard. We were very well fed! The staff, including the Manager were constantly checking that everyone in the public areas had hot drinks/cake/chocolates etc. All the staff were pleasant and hard working. It has to be remembered that the original part of the hotel is over 300 years old so the floors are aren't absolutely level and the corridors are narrow in places. For us, to be staying in a piece of history was a real treat and we loved it. We also loved Lewes, such a pretty town. We found a real ale type pub called the Lewes Arms Christmas lunchtime. It was tucked away near the castle and only minutes from the hotel. We had a great time and I'm sure we will return, our thanks to all.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Meryl821

We are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us at Christmas. I believe that Lewes has so much to offer and that the White Hart has a prominent place in its history. Thank you for staying with us and I hope that you will return (perhaps in the summer - when the town makes a great place to stay whilst exploring the South Downs national Park). Best wishes for 2014.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Second time I've stayed here so sort of knew what to expect, as everywhere else was fully booked. Stayed both times in the Annex by the Car Park - Can't comment on main building.

Positives;
Location - Central and walking distance from all Town Centre facilities.
Bed - Very comfy and linen looked clean.
Breakfasts were excellent, Buffet style which is much better than set menu nearby.
Staff were friendly and helpful.
Bar was quaint and had a good atmosphere.

Negatives;
Heating was on full blast when I checked in late evening. Must have been on all day - had to leave window open all night to vent.
Carpet was in poor condition with tears with marks/ dirt (leaf's) in places that remained for the duration of my stay (not hovered in 5 days).
You couldn't move anywhere within the room, on the landing outside or the stairs without the floor creaking or the doors squeaking. Not ideal for other guests downstairs when your leaving the room early in the morning.

Bathroom was in a poor state of repair - broken floor and wall tiles, scum marks on wall tiles by shower.
The toilet seat was what I can only describe as being 'worn' It looked like it had been scratched but actually the pigment had faded on the seat - never seen anything like it.
Tap in sink wouldn't turn off - reported but was still running when I left.
Shower was pathetic - no pressure and ran hot/ cold without warning (probably not helped by the tap).
Extractor fan not working - reported but not fixed.

The TV was a joke - a 15" portable which was at least 3 metres from where the bed was. The remote had the back missing and was sticky to the touch where presumably it was once stuck on.

Borrowed an Iron - but took that back when I noticed the bare wire showing at the base.

Asked about Car Parking arrangements and reserving a space but was told there wouldn't be a problem - twice during my stay I had to park elsewhere as there were no spaces (not helped by a Jaguar driver parking half way over 2 spaces).

I notice that the Management have commented that they are progressing a refurbishment programme, but I cannot see much evidence of this between my 2 stays this year.

This could be such a nice Hotel if the rooms were brought up to date.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the Annex and especially not on the ground floor of the Annex as you can hear everything.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank stormstorr

I am sorry that you were disappointed. We are constantly looking at ways to improve and believe that we have made progress during the last few months, I am sorry if this was not evident on your last visit and I acknowledge that there is still some way to go! We have now increased our maintenance programme to attend to some outstanding matters. Thank you however for staying with us, your support is appreciated.