“Excellent location - shame, needs a facelift.”

The White Hart Hotel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Lewes
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed in the hotel using Superbreak. Bed and breakfast, with afternoon tea included. Five of us stayed in this hotel as we had a party to attend in Brighton, but did not fancy staying there. The hotel does need a makeover, we stayed in the annexe, the bedroom and bathroom were a little rough round the edges, decor wise, but we found our rooms to be clean and comfortable. The views were not up to much (the back of the hotel) but I should imagine if you have a room with a view, it is spectacular.The afternoon tea was very nice, the sandwiches, and especially the scones were lovely. One thing though, if we had not mentioned we were vegetarian, we would have ended up with smoked salmon, so perhaps it would be better if they asked about dietary requirements.Also me being picky, I have a hatred of metal teapots, and wished they used china ones. The breakfast was very good, and the view from the dining room was really stunning too.Thebar Iin the hotel needs to have more choice. The railway station is very near and the trains to Brighton are very frequent and reasonable. All in all, our stay was nice and if they gave it a makeover, more up to date, say boutique hotel style, which seems to compliment any age building, I would not hesitate to book there again.

Room Tip: Rooms in the annexe 60, 61 and 62 overlook car park, and back of the hotel, no good views of the Sus...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 May 2014

My train ride from Dartford took me to my next destination, Lewes. I was brimming with smile because I was told that Lewes is a historical town with plenty to see and enjoy.

I arrived at the hotel late evening, and the check-in was so-so. I was given a room away from the main building. The room stank with a mix of old soot/smoke and degrading carpet. It was old, and pieces of the room were broken. Every thing looked ancient.

The bed was lumpy and uneven, but still got some sleep. The next morning, I wanted to take a shower but the shower head did work. It was merely there for decoration? I took a bath instead.

I called the reception for laundry but was told off that he was not sure if the hotel provided laundry services. He will have to ask housekeeping which comes in at 8.00am. He said he was alone at the reception and couldn't help. The impression I got was, "Oh, I will help you when I feel like it" :-(

There is no internet in the room and the only Wifi services is in the spa area. Even the Network name given was wrong and I had to find my way to a free Wifi services under the name "Netgear".

I will be staying here for 1 week (bummer) and I seriously think these guys should improve a bit of cheerful demeanour and better service. Of course, the room as well ... It is all too bad!

Room Tip: Don't go into the room, any room!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Chin-Fah
GAC380, General Manager at The White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

I am amazed that someone would rather write a review on trip advisor on the first night of a five night stay whilst sitting in the lounge than speak to the manager about their concerns.

The reviewer will know that the manager did contact the guest and explained why a laundry service was not available on a Sunday evening and that he offered a change of room which was declined. Needless to say I am sorry that he found a member of staff to be a bit 'off-hand' and I trust that readers will note more positive comments about the staff here.

I am sorry that we didn't create a more favourable impression on arrival.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Public hair on the wall Holes in carpets. Toilet seat was broken pink green and white from old age. Needs a radical revamp. Great potential and long suffering staff. Legacy hotels have an expensive well paid mgt team. You should be ashamed of yourselves

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Beano-uk67
Reviewed 8 May 2014

First impressions:
On arrival staff were friendly but there was no assistance offered for luggage or to find the room - the hotel is a bit of a maze.
The room was small and dusty. The bathroom was tiny and the shower in a corner of the bath with a timber beam above your head. Anyone over 5' 6 would struggle especially when stooped over the shower curtain was touching your back. Bathroom furniture was old and worn.
Food:
Our first experience of the dining room was for dinner on our first night. We sat in the conservatory area and looked up to see cobwebs hanging from the skylights. The window sills were dirty and dusty and the glass was fly specked. Not very conducive to a nice meal. We pointed this out to a rather bemused manager who apologised and offered to 'sort something out' for us if we asked for her later. We also pointed out that our room was very dusty and fortunately it was thoroughly cleaned the following day.
Our prawn cocktail starters arrived and were very basic. Prawns and lettuce with a blob of sauce. No attempt to make it look good.
The main courses were served without vegetables - just a small piece of meat on a mound of mash with gravy. We asked for some veg and were offered some green beans. Left the room still hungry.
Our other experience of the dining room was for breakfast and the experience was very different. Buffet food was excellent, service was good and the dining room had been cleaned - cobwebs were gone!
Sleeping:
The bed was on a slope! All part of the old world charm perhaps but not great when continually sliding to the bottom left of the bed with the covers. Floorboards were very noisy. Again probably part of the old world charm but unfortunately our neighbours above were late to bed and early to rise and probably on their honeymoon judging by the sounds. We could hear everything as if they were in the room! At one time I thought my partner was pacing the room but it was the guest upstairs.
Departure:
The arrangement made by the manager was to write off the cost of the drinks at dinner. Fair enough I suppose but thorough cleaning would have cost them less!

Room Tip: Get on the top floor to avoid floorboard issues.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Lovely "olde worlde" hotel. Don't go here if you are into Modern and not into Timber Beams and History! But if you like the latter you will enjoy all this hotel has to offer. My room was clean and spacious and the bathroom was modern (the room had timber beams and was not!)

I also asked to see the four poster bed rooms for a possible future visit. Must admit that in one of these the bathroom didn't seem as well furbished as it could be. But otherwise the 2 four poster bedded rooms were fine.

The swimming pool and spa (very small) were clean and very nice.

Lewes itself is a historic town and very interesting to visit. The hotel is an easy walk from Lewes Station.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mandy S
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed here on Saturday night, after a lovely day out. We did not book in advance and luckily they had a room available, which was good as it was bank holiday saturday. A fascinating old building with lots of character (the floor in our room was a little wonky!) Very clean and everything we needed, tea and coffee, toiletries, tv etc. The decor was a bit dated but this did not bother us. The only down side was the noise of revellers in the town at night but can't say if this was a one off or not. Breakfast was nice and the dining area was not overcrowded even though there were quite a few guests. Plesant and helpful staff, parking off road at rear of hotel. We did not use the spa but it looked ok.

Room Tip: We were in room 21 which was quite a trek to the top of the hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2014

My bf and I celebrated our 2nd Anniversary together here on April 29th.
Having read some of the earlier reviews, i approached the stay with some trepidation.
I need not have worried.
We were on a Groupon offer, which proved a real bargain.
Our room (20) was clean and comfortable with wonderful views.
The Spa, steam room and sauna were clean and ideal, being used before our evening meal and next morning before breakfast.
We were served a good 3 course meal in the evening. The food was tasty and plentiful. Breakfast was a buffet, but this included a full cooked English breakfast. Tea and fruit juice were also plentiful.
We have absolutely no complaints and thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would welcome a return.
My only observation was it would be nice if staff smiled a bit more and engaged with the customers. We made a real effort to bring out smiles, which proved successful. Mind you it must have been hard dealing with people who have written revues , expecting 5* luxury in an old hotel, which nevertheless exuded character. It must be hard to remain motivated with such negative guests!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
The Shelleys
#1 of 2 in Little Horsted
The Blacksmiths Arms
The Blacksmiths Arms
#1 of 1 in Offham

Been to The White Hart Hotel? Share your experiences!