“Not recommended”
Review of White Hart Hotel

White Hart Hotel
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Lewes
Reviewed 20 June 2007

I stayed at the white hart for 3 nights as a business trip. The hotel is extremely dated and run down with communal areas in need of repair and a clean!
The receptionist when arrived was very helpful and I was checked in without problems.
My room was a good size, but that was the only positive thing about it. The wallpaper was dated and peeling off the walls in numerous places, there was chewing gum on the carpet and the bathroom was in need of bleach.
I ate at the hotel all three nights, the food was ok but was in a carvery format and was left out so was not cooked fresh. I was booked in dinner, bed and breakfast. I would have eaten elsewhere if I had the choice.
Generally the staff were helpful, although the receptionist that was there when I checked out was unhelpful and rude.
I would not stay at this hotel again and would not recommend it to anyone

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed 17 June 2007

We did not stay in the hotel, but ate in the carvery restaurant inside the hotel. The restaurant is absolutely filthy. Flies on the uncovered, unchilled desserts. Filthy chairs, filthy floors. Stale bread rolls, We were supplied a highchair for our youngest, it was caked in old food and grime and was about 20 years old.
Really bad service. Plates not cleared from table. Desserts were a joke. Fruit salad, bowl of orange juice with a few bits of fruit floating around. Rock hard, spoon bending desserts. Choice of about 3 things presented in cheap dirty bowls . I wish I had taken my camera, I can honestly say I have never been to such a filthy, poorly run place with inedible food, in all my life. This place has nothing good about. One of the staff members was wandering around with a massive rip at the back of her uniform! DON'T EAT THERE, YOU WILL BE SERIOUSLY UNWELL! DISGUSTING.

Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed 5 June 2007

Stayed overnight at this hotel in order to go to a wedding (fortunately not in the hotel). Our room which was in the annexe, was stuffily hot but a reasonable size, although the bed sagged. The bathroom was cramped and it took 10 minutes to obtain cold water (it was running hot). It was impossible to control the water temperature to have a shower. The bath was tiny.
The stairs were tight and steep with no lift.

Breakfast was OK, but when we wanted to eat outside on the terrace which has great views, the plastic table which was not clothed had bird droppings on it.

The decor was tired and hideously dated throughout but the worst thing was the pervasive dirtinesss. Black fingermarks and scuffs all over the paintwork and wallpaper, dog ends all over the ground outside the annexe door. piles of junk in corners, dirty carpet , pervasive fried food smell etc etc. Every time we returned to our room we had to fight our way past piles of laundry and two very tatty, dirty ironing boards which had been pulled out of the cupboard next to our door.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 April 2007

The White Hart Hotel is more like a pub and conference rooms with an annexe at the back for the bedrooms. The parking was tricky. The barrier was operated by the receptionist. (When leaving we had to wait for a few minutes before she noticed us on the CCTV.) The drive was very steep and the top car park had little room to manouvre. The walk back from the parked car to the reception involved passing litter, dustbins and smelly extractor fans.

The dining room had lovely views and the buffet roast was tasty and hot. The staff were friendly. The key-board player pitched it just right. Breakfast was OK. I had to keep reminding myself that we had only paid £95 for twin bed, breakfast and evening meal. So it was good value.

A lively crowd in the bar and lounge which was good, but everywhere needed refurbishment. We didn't use the spa, but the facilities looked clean and were supervised.

The warm bedroom in the annexe was large with comfortable beds. Although it could have done with a new bathroom and deocrating, the only real problem was the squeaking floorboards. I guess that the annexe was 20 years old but every time the late arrivals in the adjoining room made a step the floorboards kept me awake.

All in all, no real problems. Good value with friendly staff, but difficult parking and bit tatty.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank mandyKent
Reviewed 29 March 2007

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on the 28th March on a half board basis having booked via an agency on the internet. On arrival we were booked into the Pelham Suite .
The staff went out of there way to be helpful,the room was great and the food was fine. We will book here again without hesitation.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank Thebaldoneontheleft
Reviewed 12 March 2007

Booked it as a romantic! weekend. Absolutely appaulled. It was disgusting,. Some brown decor room at the back that hadnt been decorated since the 70s by the look of it! from the time when I LIVED in Lewes I dont think it has changed., The shower barely dribbled, the water temperature uncontrollable, grease marks where ppls heads had been when lying on the bed, frayed materials and worn looking tired furniture.
I would NEVER EVER EVER go there again in my entire life., For those who thought it was nice - go to the opticians!

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tiredbunny2002
Reviewed 2 January 2007

Despite being somewhat concerned by some of the reviews of the hotel,a party of ten of us booked a two night new year's break from which we have just returned.
Perhaps the building can best be described as a little "tired" but the rooms had all the facilities that we needed and the beds were very comfortable.
The standard of food was in our opinion above average for this grade of hotel and a very pleasant surprise was the very reasonable prices in the adequate wine list.
We made good use of the leisure facilities which were of a high standard and clean.
The real plus factor was the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff and we have not come across better.
Apart from a few minor problems (and they were minor), would we recommend the hotel to others?-yes, would we go back again?-most definately!

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with friends
7  Thank krispat07
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
Pelham House
#1 of 2 in Little Horsted
The BlackSmith's Arms
The BlackSmith's Arms
#2 of 2 in Halland

Been to White Hart Hotel? Share your experiences!