“New Meaning Of The Word Dump”

The White Hart Hotel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Lewes
Reviewed 27 June 2007

The Manager,White Hart HotelLewes27 June 07 We had the misfortune to stay in one of your rooms in the annexe at your hotel last weekend. My wife and I were attending a wedding and had been booked into your hotel by a family member for a two day period. In the event we only stayed one night , preferring to make the long journey back to Dorset rather than spend another wretched night under your roof. On arrival we were shown down a dingy corridor to and into one of the ugliest rooms I have seen in my life. Hoping to improve its aspect I turned on a few of the smaller light fittings. Thinking the bulb had gone in the standard lamp I called the front desk who were baffled when I suggested housekeeping might find a new bulb. There is apparently no housekeeping in the evening, A bulb was produced finally but to no good effect. The lamp was broken. Two candle lights over the bed had no shades and the lamp on the dressing table had a burned shade. The bathroom was disgusting. Broken tiles on the floor on which the grouting between tiles had been worn completely away rendering this a very unhygienic surface. There was no bathmat. There were four very small and worn towels which were completely inadequate for showering or bathing purposes. However since the shower was broken that was not an issue. The toilet seat was scratched and scuffed, the soap holder on the wall was rusted, and the tiles round the bath were cracked. The bath itself was a disgrace with mould in the crevices by the taps and in the sealant round the sides of the bath. The carpet was stained. There were absolutely no extra facilities. When I asked at reception for a toothbrush this request was received with blank amazement. I understand from the Good Hotel Guide that a toothbrush is the sine qua non of a good hotel. We had no privacy, the room we had was situated on the car park this meant we had to keep our curtains drawn at all times as cars were parked up against our windows.These had to be kept closed, as cars backed up to the window, belching fumes into the room. In the morning when my wife went to breakfast she was told it was no longer being served as it was past 9.30. ( She had finally managed to snatch a couple of hours sleep in the morning) . When she remonstrated she was asked if she wanted "cooked breakfast" and grudgingly a warm pile of greasy and inedible food was brought to the table. A greasy sausage, greasy cold bacon, cold scrambled egg and a pile of cold greasy mushrooms. None of which she had ordered. One can only imagine they had been save from the garbage pail at the last moment They had certainly not been cooked to order. We paid £94 pounds for this appalling experience. We were loath to say anything at the time as it would have distressed our hosts. We are dreadfully embarrassed that friends of ours from Paris were also in this hotel. All this could have been almost bearable, had the bed been comfortable and the room quiet. The bed was soft cramped and gave no support. The noise was unbelievable. It was like living inside a drum. The walls were paper thin and and the noise from the room overhead of people simply moving about upstairs was deafening. We hardly slept and the next day had very little energy and our day at the wedding was spoiled. We arrived home exhausted and distressed. We expect to be compensated for this experience. May we suggest that you refund us as we certainly cannot imagine staying in one of your rooms

Stayed: June 2007
3  Thank WILSONIAN
Write a ReviewReviews (1,004)

Reviewed 24 June 2007

Have just returned home after spending a most enjoyable time at this hotel. Very friendly staff and good food. Yes, it is tired in places, but this is more than made up for by the facilities, and it is in the process of being decorated. The leisure club came all inclusive on half-board and had we known beforehand we would have made use of it, but we booked via a third party so not the fault of the hotel.

OK, it wasn't perfect, but we have yet to stay in a hotel that is.

Would we return - most definitely.

1  Thank babyjack
Reviewed 20 June 2007

This sleazoid hotel would be fine for people who think the 1970s were a high point of taste and sophistication. It also helps if they have no sense of smell - the corridors stink of strong deodorant, presumably to disguise even worst pongs. Evidently, the place hasn’t been properly cleaned for years.

The White Hart Hotel trades off its past but many of the in-mates get put in a hideous overheated modern block around the back. Even here the rooms are tatty and the facilities limited – for example, there appears to be no internet access of any type. To make matters worse the rooms have very thin walls – I had to listen to aerobics classes for much of the evening I had to spend in this dump. Assuming you can squeeze your car through the narrow entrance you’ll find that parking is also very restricted – if you miss one of the few spots available you’ll have to schlep round to a public car park and move off before 8.00 am to avoid risking a fine. Tellingly, there were no customer questionnaires to fill out nor did the Receptionist ask me if everything was okay when I checked out - I suspect they knew what would be said.

Avoid this miserable excuse for a hotel if you possibly can!

2  Thank Ricky_Brent
Reviewed 20 June 2007

I stayed at the white hart for 3 nights as a business trip. The hotel is extremely dated and run down with communal areas in need of repair and a clean!
The receptionist when arrived was very helpful and I was checked in without problems.
My room was a good size, but that was the only positive thing about it. The wallpaper was dated and peeling off the walls in numerous places, there was chewing gum on the carpet and the bathroom was in need of bleach.
I ate at the hotel all three nights, the food was ok but was in a carvery format and was left out so was not cooked fresh. I was booked in dinner, bed and breakfast. I would have eaten elsewhere if I had the choice.
Generally the staff were helpful, although the receptionist that was there when I checked out was unhelpful and rude.
I would not stay at this hotel again and would not recommend it to anyone

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 June 2007

We did not stay in the hotel, but ate in the carvery restaurant inside the hotel. The restaurant is absolutely filthy. Flies on the uncovered, unchilled desserts. Filthy chairs, filthy floors. Stale bread rolls, We were supplied a highchair for our youngest, it was caked in old food and grime and was about 20 years old.
Really bad service. Plates not cleared from table. Desserts were a joke. Fruit salad, bowl of orange juice with a few bits of fruit floating around. Rock hard, spoon bending desserts. Choice of about 3 things presented in cheap dirty bowls . I wish I had taken my camera, I can honestly say I have never been to such a filthy, poorly run place with inedible food, in all my life. This place has nothing good about. One of the staff members was wandering around with a massive rip at the back of her uniform! DON'T EAT THERE, YOU WILL BE SERIOUSLY UNWELL! DISGUSTING.

Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed 5 June 2007

Stayed overnight at this hotel in order to go to a wedding (fortunately not in the hotel). Our room which was in the annexe, was stuffily hot but a reasonable size, although the bed sagged. The bathroom was cramped and it took 10 minutes to obtain cold water (it was running hot). It was impossible to control the water temperature to have a shower. The bath was tiny.
The stairs were tight and steep with no lift.

Breakfast was OK, but when we wanted to eat outside on the terrace which has great views, the plastic table which was not clothed had bird droppings on it.

The decor was tired and hideously dated throughout but the worst thing was the pervasive dirtinesss. Black fingermarks and scuffs all over the paintwork and wallpaper, dog ends all over the ground outside the annexe door. piles of junk in corners, dirty carpet , pervasive fried food smell etc etc. Every time we returned to our room we had to fight our way past piles of laundry and two very tatty, dirty ironing boards which had been pulled out of the cupboard next to our door.

Reviewed 6 April 2007

The White Hart Hotel is more like a pub and conference rooms with an annexe at the back for the bedrooms. The parking was tricky. The barrier was operated by the receptionist. (When leaving we had to wait for a few minutes before she noticed us on the CCTV.) The drive was very steep and the top car park had little room to manouvre. The walk back from the parked car to the reception involved passing litter, dustbins and smelly extractor fans.

The dining room had lovely views and the buffet roast was tasty and hot. The staff were friendly. The key-board player pitched it just right. Breakfast was OK. I had to keep reminding myself that we had only paid £95 for twin bed, breakfast and evening meal. So it was good value.

A lively crowd in the bar and lounge which was good, but everywhere needed refurbishment. We didn't use the spa, but the facilities looked clean and were supervised.

The warm bedroom in the annexe was large with comfortable beds. Although it could have done with a new bathroom and deocrating, the only real problem was the squeaking floorboards. I guess that the annexe was 20 years old but every time the late arrivals in the adjoining room made a step the floorboards kept me awake.

All in all, no real problems. Good value with friendly staff, but difficult parking and bit tatty.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank mandyKent
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
0 mi away
#1 of 2 in Little Horsted
The Cooden Beach Hotel
The Cooden Beach Hotel
#1 of 2 in Bexhill-on-Sea

Been to The White Hart Hotel? Share your experiences!