“A wonderful wedding venue with attentive, friendly staff.”
Review of The Shelleys

The Shelleys
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Lewes
Reviewed 3 May 2011

We got married at The Shelleys on 9th April and could not have had a more perfect weekend. The hotel is lovely and perfect for exclusive use. We had our ceremony outside in the garden and a BBQ the following day and were blessed with glorious weather. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and the whole weekend was very relaxed. Our guests commented on what a great venue it was. The hotel still needs a bit of money spent on it to justify the room costs and yes, coffee facilities in the rooms would be good. The food for our wedding breakfast was excellent as was the breakfast and bbq. The hotel is under new ownership and I hope they manage to make positive enhancements whilst at the same time retaining the overall charm of this wonderful hotel. I would not have changed a thing about my day and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: April 2011

Reviewed 18 April 2011

We stayed in a superior double - beautifully decorated but what about complimentary tea and coffee facilities in the room? Might be explained by the comment I overheard from the duty manager to the receptionist to stop charging for sewing kits and shower caps if asked (I can not believe a hotel of the supposed standard of this one would EVER charge for a small hotel sewing kit or a SHOWER CAP fgs) but "we won't leave them in the room cus everyone will nick them" - you are charging £165 per night for a double room in LEWES, I think you could provide sewing kits, shower caps and tea and coffee without being asked!

Very chatty receptionist - so chatty to us, other guests, other members of staff, etc etc that sitting quietly in the lounge relaxing was impossible. Congratulations to her grandson's football team but we really didn't need to hear her recount his success in detail individually to EVERY single other member of staff on duty at high volume! Also not desperately professional to also discuss an unsuccessful interviewee also in public at high volume. Reliable WIFI as advertised would be nice too, coverage in the hotel was very patchy - hence sitting in the lounge to get internet access.

I can't comment on the restaurant in the evening as we didn't eat there but breakfast was lovely with good, polite, efficient service.

All in all, a nice hotel (if you get discount!) but the management/reception staff need to remember what level of hotel experience they are aiming to provide, how much they are therefore charging and provide appropriate professional service to that level.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank GloriaMumble
Reviewed 11 April 2011

Stayed two nights the staff couldn't do enough for you. Recommend it to anyone one.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 22 February 2011

We stayed at The Shelley's for one night as part of the groupon deal.
I was a little apprehensive as I was worried they would treat us differently because we had a voucher instead of paying in full, but my boyfriend and I had a wonderful time!
The staff were very courteous at check-in and offered us tea and coffee. Our room was fabulous, with a large comfortable bed, with views from the front of the house and the garden. The bath room was large with a fantastic power shower, with lovely soaps and even a bathrobe.
We had dinner in the restaurant too and the food was great. The room we ate in was quiet and romantic and quite beautiful.
The breakfast the next morning was even better :)

Even without the voucher it would have been great value for money.
I really enjoyed my stay here and we really want to go back!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2011

My partner and I have just returned from The Shelleys after having a weekend in Lewes visiting friends. It is a beautiful hotel, the ambience is so relaxing and welcoming. The service was excellent, the food in the Apostrophe restaurant was delicious and the room was clean, tidy and amazing value. The bed and the pillows-to die for! I am a light sleeper and never truly sleep well anywhere other than my own bed, however the beds were so comfortable. Overall, highly recommended, I would love to live near Lewes and have a wedding there! 5 stars from us.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2011

I have stayed at other hotels in Lewes and been thoroughly disappointed. So I asked to be booked somewhere else for my latest trip and was delighted by the people in this hotel.

Everyone was so helpful, nothing was too much trouble, the rooms were clean, well fitted and had more than just the basic TV channels.

Although I ate out with colleagues in the evening , I thoroughly recommend the breakfast and guess that dinner would have been just as enjoyable.

The sort of place I would love to come back to with my wife for a week-end.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 January 2011

Finally got to stay in this amazing Hotel. Absolutely faultless. Superb room, wonderful food and a delicious breakfast. Perfect start to the New Year. Will definately stay again - hopefully sooner than later. So much to see in Lewes - well worth a trip.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
Pelham House
#2 of 2 in Hove
The Courtlands Hotel
The Courtlands Hotel
#32 of 43 in Brighton

Been to The Shelleys? Share your experiences!