“Feels special”
Review of The Shelleys

The Shelleys
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Lewes
Reviewed 23 November 2011

The Hotel rooms are all individual, comfortable and clean. There are no tea making facilities, however you may order a free tray of tea or coffee up to 10am in the morning.
The breakfast was beautifully cooked and presented and my husband particularly enjoyed his smoked haddock with poached egg.
The hotel boasts lovely gardens to the rear.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Shelleys

Reviewed 4 August 2011

We had an excellent weekend away at this Hotel; it was an offer from Groupon. We went a while ago but can only write review now.. We recommend this Hotel, the evening meal was superb and breakfast very good too. The staff were very friendly and attentive. We will love to go back and strongly recommend

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2011

A beautiful, historic building in a quaint little town. What a shame that what could be a truly excellent hotel at times feels only mediocre. After just a couple of hours we had already written a letter to the management, voicing our disappointment - all things that have been mentioned on this site before:
Very poor reservation communication
Unacceptable picture quality on the TV
Shabby & torn furnishings in one of our rooms
Sombre & lack-lustre attitude of some of the staff on duty
No welcome tea or coffee offered......
The list went on & on. The place felt cold & desterted as there were very few guests staying on our first night but to be fair to the staff, by our second night we were feeling much happier. It is a very beautiful building - the dining room & grounds are truly lovely & our bathroom was of a high standard. A change of staff suddenly had the place buzzing. Just goes to show just how important it is to have well-trained staff as it can make all the difference in the world. By the time we left we had ripped up our letter of compalint and would probably return again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank TravellerAbuDhabi
Reviewed 23 July 2011

We were very comfortable in this fine hotel and the welcome and service, whilst occasionally sparse, was excellent. Staff on duty were extremely helpful. We were offered tea on arrival but a little disappointed that the rooms were not available until after 2.00 p.m.. Perhaps we shouldn't have dragged our bags into the hotel until after check-in! The superior double room was indeed superior as was its bathroom and fittings. Just two bottles of water, whilst welcome was not enough, and we were a litlle disappointed not to be able to make a cup of tea in the room. I'm sure that we could have ordered it but the extremely helpful and charming receptionist/porter/telephonist/waitress/concierge had so much on her plate that we did not wish to add to her problems despite her obvious efficiency!

As we were at Glyndebourne we did not eat in the hotel until breakfast which was excellent.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2011

Here is the complaint I left with the hotel to recieve no reply. Overall dissapointed and it felt very over priced for what we recieved.

Hi this is the third and last time I will send this e-mail although I expected a reply 2 weeks ago.

Hi,

I wanted to provide you with some feedback regarding my recent stay ay The Shellys. Overall I was quite disappointed with what was on offer and did not consider the stay value for money.

1. no tea or coffee facilities available in the room
2. tv reception was poor and a very limited selection of channels not even free view
3. Bathroom was tired and had water stains all round the bottom of room and cracked tile amoung other things.
4. no vegetarian option at breakfast and an ever changing evening menu which meant we went somewhere else - goats cheese tart and risotto are a common joke to vegetarians.
5. Adding VAT which should be included in price
6. Fire alarm went off 6/7 times when I was trying to sleep on saturday.

I did not complain to reception because it was our anniversary and I did not want to spoil it but for over £200 this felt unreasonable as I would expect the very best which parts of the stay clearly were not.

Awaiting your reply,

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank stickup
Reviewed 17 May 2011

We had our wedding at The Shelleys the other weekend and it was absolutely perfect!

I think The Shelleys is one of the few places where you can actually have the ceremony in the garden. Everything ran incredibly smoothly. All staff were very friendly, polite and knew exactly what they were doing.

We had exclusive use of the hotel so all our friends and family stayed in the rooms. As far as I am aware, everybody was very pleased with their rooms. We chose room 9 rather than the 4 poster room and it was fantastic. Perhaps my only suggestion would be to put some decent hairdryers in the rooms! And also to make it better known that tea or coffee is available on arrival and before 10am (I think) in your room as there are no tea making facilities in the rooms.

All our guests commented on how excellent the food was. We had sea bass or lamb, both of which were excellent. Breakfasts were also very tasty and plentiful!

An earlier reviewer mentioned the chatty receptionist. To be honest, I thought she was great and created a very welcoming atmosphere within the hotel but I guess it depends what kind of service you're after.

All in all, despite changing hands recently, The Shelleys retains the family run feel in that you are treated very warmly and made to feel at home, which was exactly what we wanted for our wedding. I can't thank them all enough!

One word of warning: make sure you get a parking permit for the car park. The night before the wedding my fiance didn't and ended up getting clamped! Luckily, the owner was on hand to take the clamp off before my fiance saw it!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 May 2011

We got married at The Shelleys on 9th April and could not have had a more perfect weekend. The hotel is lovely and perfect for exclusive use. We had our ceremony outside in the garden and a BBQ the following day and were blessed with glorious weather. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and the whole weekend was very relaxed. Our guests commented on what a great venue it was. The hotel still needs a bit of money spent on it to justify the room costs and yes, coffee facilities in the rooms would be good. The food for our wedding breakfast was excellent as was the breakfast and bbq. The hotel is under new ownership and I hope they manage to make positive enhancements whilst at the same time retaining the overall charm of this wonderful hotel. I would not have changed a thing about my day and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: April 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
Pelham House
#1 of 43 in Brighton
The Grand Brighton
The Grand Brighton
#10 of 43 in Brighton

Been to The Shelleys? Share your experiences!