I stayed in a superior room, with my husband and 4 year-old.
Pros: The room and bathroom were spacious and, although faded, spotless. Its on the high street, so an easy stroll to the station, castle etc. Staff at reception were polite and helpful. Also, amazing water pressure, especially considering the age of the place. Interesting history and a good turnover service.
The downsides were
(1) the view (the room overlooked a ?staff door and walkway, so I felt I had to keep the curtains drawn; see photo)
(2)Got so tired of waiting for the grumpy waiter to bring my toast at breakfast (still waiting after I finished the rest of my meal) that I just left, as I needed to check out.
(3) King bed was two singles joined together, with noisy headboards
(4)Personally I found it was lacking a bit of soul, which is strange considering its age and history (although I understand it has previously been under corporate ownership?)
(5) Decided not to get a fold-up bed for my daughter as £20 extra a night seemed a bit steep
Unlike a previous reviewer, I had no problem with the heating (fully adjustable on the radiators), or children's cereal (my daughter had Rice Crispies one day and lovely homemade bircher the next).
Better than your average medium-sized hotel (which I normally avoid).
Undecided about Lewes itself (a bit smug?), but Brightons only a short bus-ride away if it gets too much!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Step off the historic High Street in the beautiful county town of Lewes and into the peaceful tranquility of The Shelleys; an elegantly sublime 17th Century, family-run, country house hotel. The Shelleys offers discreet service, with high standards, within a uniquely calm ambience, with friendly staff who anticipate your every need. With nineteen luxury boutique rooms, all en-suite, each designed and decorated to reflect our Georgian origins and fitted with a television and Wi-Fi access; The Shelleys perfectly combines English tradition with contemporary luxury. Dating back to 1588, The Shelleys is a grade II* listed property – falling into the 4% bracket viewed as a “particularly important building of more than special interest” by English Heritage… Located close to Brighton and Eastbourne, this East Sussex hotel is the perfect venue for a change of scene. Whether it’s a weekend of rest and relaxation, a romantic break, or a base from which to explore the surrounding historical town and South Downs, you’ll find your every need is anticipated at The Shelleys. The a la carte lunch and dinner menu is available in the stylish award-winning Apostrophe Restaurant or on the brick-paved terrace overlooking our beautiful gardens. Morning Coffee & Afternoon Tea, Drinks and Bar Lunches are also available throughout the day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your The Shelleys reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Shelleys Hotel Lewes
- Shelleys Hotel Lewes
- Hotel Shelleys
- The Shelleys Lewes, East Sussex