“Very poor”

Cuisines: British
Description: This is a pub which serves food
Description: This is a pub which serves food
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Dont trust the 'allergy trained chef'. They totally forget to give you a dairy free roast, then swap it to a new plate using the same spoon as they must have used to spoon out the cauliflower and cheese. Aside from that the food was awful. Tiny amounts of bad meat, rubbish vegetables, my two year old could cook better. Asleep.

Despite the above (!) I tried to arrange a meal there for my friends (they requested this pub despite my warnings of a dire roast) and I was screwed round from the start (I hadnt complained about the allergy screw up, I was british and just didnt complain- Stupidly) huffing and puffing at my order when I handed in the deposit (Christmas order) not being told the issue. Eventually called and was told, only 4 are eating turkey so 'its not worth it' despite 16 of us eating.

Getting the deposit back was a headache, staff didnt know their *ahem* earlobe from their ankle.

Seriously, management and chefs AWFUL all the staff in between were just pained messengers.

1  Thank Sarah O

Reviewed 9 December 2013

A warm welcome, excellent beer and solid home-cooked food makes the Lewes Arms a favourite.
An excellent selection of Scotch and the absence of 'musak' completes the scene.Highly recommended!

Reviewed 12 November 2013

The Lewes Arms is a fantastic pub and I'm a regular visitor. I usually go for dinner or their Sunday roast and the food is really excellent, well above standard pub fare. It's also good for just a drink but normally I can't resist the menu!
Thursday nights are particularly good because they have a free gig.
The atmosphere is very friendly and they are especially welcoming of doggy friends, even if they're muddy! Their is a buzz to the atmosphere but it's easy to hear conversation too.
Excellent choice for dinner/drinks with friends or for a date.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Had a beef burger here on 25th October 2013 in the evening. It looked and tasted as if it had been cooked about 5 times- unfortunately we had to dash for a train to Brighton so did not have time to faff around taking it back and getting another one cooked- plus the kitchen was about to close. The salad accompanying it was very nice but not enough to rescue the meal. This is the second poor food experience we have had here. Approximately a year ago I had their meat pie and it was cold in the middle so we had to get reheated whilst everybody else in the group ate their meals. My advice on our experience is to drink here (great beers and atmosphere) but eat elsewhere.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Highly recommended..the biggest roast dinner ever!! could only eat half, but it wasn't just quantity,the food was excellent!! seven vegetables as well as pork, stuffing Yorkshire puds and roast potatoes and gravy..delicious!! had to wait 40 minutes for the food, but well worth it..would most definitely come again.