“Fantastic venue for an event”

The Anchor Inn & Boating
Ranked #66 of 113 Restaurants in Lewes
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic venue for an event”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I recently booked The Anchor Inn for a work day out. It was fantastic! The staff were very friendly and laid back which made organising the day hassle and stress free. There were 38 of us in total and we had the full run of the marquee, the decking in front of the marquee and the field at the back for games and inflatables, which gave the feeling of exclusive hire, meaning we didn't get in anyones way and we could make as much noise as we wanted.

The BBQ was fantastic with plenty of accompaniments, meat and veg options, the empty plates said it all! We also enjoyed ice-creams from the little shop on site, perfect for the children.

For a relaxed and fun day out you really can't go wrong with this venue, it's child and dog friendly so makes booking for large groups really easy.

Brighton, uk
“Superb Service, Smiles and a Special Celebratory Day!”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My Son [9yrs] and I walked here from Lewes yesterday as part of a Father's Day treat [for me - not for him..... [are we there yet???].

Prior to this I had looked through the comments on the site and was more than a little hesitant [especially on reading the most recent damning review], however the lure of the sunshine and the river boats won out. I am glad I went with my heart and not my thoughts after reading the review. Please go there and judge for yourself - It's well worth the 'risk'.

Leaving Lewes at around 1140 we slowly wandered along the meandering Sussex Ouse Valley Trail and found to our pleasure and delight from just a few fields away we could hear the sounds of music being played. Honky Tonk/Pub Piano in the garden for all ages to sing along and dance with. A truly magical time.

The pub was packed [as per our expectation for Father's Day], and as such we anticipated some delay in proceedings - the design and layout of this old building gives little room for manoeuvre for the bar staff - and the small bar areas were queued up to the hilt and outside waiting for people to place their order/drinks.

This was the only delay of the day - the food arrived rapidly, was delicious [according to the good lady]. Alex and I shared a bowl of Chips and had a 'Hog Roast' each [although if he asks you - it was Gammon!].

This was followed by an hour's paddle up the river [£15 for 2a and 1c] more than reasonable for memories that will last a lifetime.

If there was a downside - it's possibly the fact that I'm STILL drying off from the waterfight that ensued on the boat once Mum had alighted - but it was completely worth the money, the fun and the laughter to create a Father's Day that will remain in my memories for a long time to come.

Thank you to all the staff for working so closely and who were visibly willing to 'muck in and help out' the other departments [bar/food/boats/ices etc] when different areas looked busy!!!

You will definitely see me again very soon!

Heathfield, United Kingdom
“Our stay at The Anchor, Barcombe”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We arrived at this idyllic pub to a welcoming bar staff , polite and helpful . Food was prompt and delicious. We had previously booked the chalet and although we were late arriving , steph could not have been more accommodating. Everything was clean and tidy, with towels and bedding included. A small problem was happily rectified by Simon , without hesitation . We had taken our kayaks which we were allowed to launched from the side of the river bank . It was a birthday treat for my partner, which he enjoyed. A lovely pub meal , followed by an evening watching the moon come up in beautiful surroundings in the patio area with the odd bat and tawny owl offering us a sauce of entertainment and to see a kingfisher was amazing. My partner says if anyone finds his iPhone, which I stupidly dropped in the river, near the waterfall , could you please return . Oops!!!

Lewes, United Kingdom
“Excellent Countryside Pub”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

After hearing lots of great things about The Anchor Inn & Boating from our family and friends, I decided to take my family there on Sunday. Within minuets of our arrival we were greeted by the very friendly landlord, Simon. He welcomed us and pointed us to the best place to sit, a beautiful riverside view awaited us where we could see families and couples having a great time on the boats.

The service was very friendly and reasonably quick for a busy pub. There was a wide choice of food to choose from including roast dinners which I can say are the best I've ever had. Even my fussy children were happy by what they could have.

After having a lovely meal and desert we went over to the boating kiosk where the very helpful boating staff assisted us in getting us on a boat and showing us what to do. The children had great fun on the boats.

Overall we had an amazing day out and I would recommend it to all of my friends and anyone else who is looking for a lovely day out.

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Anne-Marie and Fran "The Bee's Knees!"”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Just back from sitting in the sun at the Anchor Inn, watching the boats paddle up the river Ouse whilst enjoying an excellent lunch. A great place to relax in, the setting is just beautiful with ducks on the river, and a vista of green fields beyond.Simon the landlord was very welcoming and tells a good joke too. Don't miss it!