“Romantic weekend away with great attention to detail couldn't fault it” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Orchard Bed and Breakfast In Lewes

Orchard Bed and Breakfast In Lewes
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lewes
Orchard Bed and Breakfast In Lewes
Ranked #13 of 42 Lewes B&B and Inns
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Romantic weekend away with great attention to detail couldn't fault it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

My partner and I were offered a rare opportunity to go away and have a bit of us time....so we were nervous to pick the right place.

About the room - Jo and Rick had provided flowers, the room is huge, with a fairly good view. attention to detail was pretty amazing - sensor activated lights in the bathroom - help with that dozy midnight visit - the bedside lamps were touch operated.

The bathroom had both a slipper bath and a very large shower. It was a place we really wanted to stay in rather than go out of which matched our needs well. The bath has a TV with films and a waterproof mouse - I watched part of breakfast at tiffanys before my wife called time ; )

Jo and Rick were in fairly regular contact - advising us about local things to do and offering to lend us their bikes etc. We ended up going river swimming and having a picnic.

Room Tip: The Blossom room is the one we stayed in - I doubt there others are as large
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steve C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

The Orchard B&B is a beautiful home, run by a welcoming and friendly family with large, comfortable rooms. The blossom room has a gorgeous bath and a huge shower (with very cool sensor lights). Of course, it is topped off with the amazing setting of Lewes, with lots of things to do and explore.

Despite all this, I found myself being somewhat disappointed with my stay. Firstly, it took around a week for any confirmation of my booking to be made - with many unanswered phone calls and unreplied emails. On my day of arrival I finally managed to confirm my booking, only to be told that the cost of the room would be more than advertised on the website - due to 'the room is so large to clean, and the website needs updating' (neither of which I see as being something I should pay extra for!).

On arriving, as previously mentioned, the room was lovely and I was looking forward to getting some rest. Unfortunately, this didn't happen either due to two small girls screaming, running and jumping right outside my bedroom door for over 3 hours. I have had plenty of experience of young children and so I understand that they are loud and full of energy, but the noises of a children's play centre is not quite what I had expected for a 'quiet, relaxing B&B visit'.

There were also numerous little issues I found with the blossom room; the bath television broken, coffee and tea yet no milk, iron yet no ironing board, cupboards full of old jackets, two singles posing as a double bed with an uncomfortable dip in the middle... Small but irritating problems that should just be standard in my eyes.

But by far my biggest problem was that there was no lock on the room. Making me feel quite uncomfortable (especially whilst having a bath/changing) with the thought that anyone could walk in...Which they did!! Soon after arrival, in the midst of all the noise, the two girls burst into the bedroom, said hello and walked out again...Which left me speechless! To me, a lock on a bedroom door is compulsory for privacy and security, and I don't know why this hasn't been mentioned in other reviews.

It's such a shame that I was disappointed with my stay. I had been really looking forward to it and put off other, cheaper, hotels to try and get in contact with the Orchard. Only to pay extra to get less, it seems! Really unfortunate when the family is so friendly and the house is so beautiful..

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank AnnaM1234567
Richardthelionheart7, Owner at Orchard Bed and Breakfast In Lewes, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
The context of your stay was this : we get so few visits in the winter ; you were the only guest from Oct to March - that we a) do not respond to our emails that often - we are simply not expecting guests b) we also take this time to maintain the room.

You were a single night single visitor and we only had the one large double available - so turning around a very large room and bathroom for a single visitor is not that attractive financially for us - but you were very persistent so we agreed - making the price very clear when we did so (£70)

In this case the room had just been painted (therefore locks had been taken off other wardrobes in room). So although you had a double wardrobe to yourself - copmplete with hair drier and iron (with note about location of board) - you chose to open and inspect other wardrobes - why I wonder? Curiosity perhaps? Anyway - this fault was temporary due to painting.

In regards to the bed - you sent this email to me immediately after staying with us on the 12th of Feb :
"I've been meaning to write a review, I had a lovely time and your home is beautiful. The bed was a dream and fresh bread for breakfast set me up good for my interview - I got offered a place!"
Your tripadvisor review says the bed was not comfortable. I am confused by these comments which one is the case?

You comment on the lock I agree with - and this has been remedied the room is now lockable - it was an old lock but we got a key made.

The children were noisy -with none of us being not used to guests in the winter . In the main season - they are very well trained ; ) and also very often not in the house. You were offered compensation in regard to this - immedaitely - you refused it. you are right - we are a nice family and reasonable business people - if something is wrong we offer compensation or try and rectify.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

We really enjoyed our stay here. Our hosts Joanna and Richard made us feel very welcome. The location is perfect - a short walk into the town centre. Perfectly positioned for exploring the Downs. The room had lovely far-reaching views over Lewes. It was pretty and light and very clean.

• Stayed January 2014
West Malling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

I recently had the great pleasure of staying at this excellent friendly B&B just off Lewes high street run by Joanna and Richard Smallwood. I had wanted to visit Lewes for some time to sample the history it is seeped in and taste the delights of the famous local Harvey's brewery. I'm sure Susan (my girlfriend) won't mind me saying she can be quite demanding when it comes to weekends away, was as impressed by the hospitality and standard of the big room with ensuite shower and roll bath as i was! Phew! This soak was the perfect way to luxuriate after we - on Richard's recommendation went to walk on the nearby south down's way- the weather was kind and the view stunning! Can't recommend this place enough- go and take your walking/boozing boots!

Room Tip: Go for the big one! South facing and delightful views of Lewes and the Downs...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Ghent, Belgium
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

This is probably the worst b&b we ever stayed at. We arrived at 4,45 pm after a long journey and we thought we had the address completely wrong. The garden we had to walk through to arrive at the frontdoor was a junkyard. At the frontdoor the garbagebags were welcoming us. There was no bell, so I had to knock several times, fearing that we would have to spend the night in the car as it seemed nobody home. After a while, finally Rick opened the door, seeming a bit surprised but very friendly I must say. We went to the room which was totally unprepared. No sheets, nothing. He asked if we could go and return a bit later but we were so tired so we decided to rest and leave in an hour to go for dinner. When we returned room was ok. Nice bathroom, shame host didn't know how to open the bathroom windom at first. My son didn't sleep at all as the bed was broken. Breakfast was so sad. Supermarket bread, 6 slices? some jam and old cornflakes. We left hungry and unsatisfied. Some people run a b&b as if they don't care at all. This was a total disaster and not a nice start of our holiday in the UK.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
craboohlala, Owner at Orchard Bed and Breakfast In Lewes, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
We are very sorry you were so unhappy with your stay. We wish you had let us know at the time. No one has said our garden is a "junk yard " before. I note you also give the room and location average. The room is the second largest in Lewes and the bathroom is brand new and total luxury - think 2 person walk in shower and slipper bath!

If there was a broken slat in the bed - we could have fixed this given the chance - we also offered you a stand alone single room for the same price.

From my recollection the reason you arrived much earlier than the time stated - and earlier than our check in and having had guests the night before the room was being cleaned - hence bin bag on front door and room not ready. We had no notice of your early arrival time. We did not need to let you in at all at the time you arrived. our usual check in is 1600.

I object to the a) the totally adverse content of this review (the comments about the room particularly are absolute fiction) b) and the time it took to leave the feedback -(nothing mentioned at the time).
Pythagorion, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

The hotel is located on a traditional road of lewes. The breakfast is everyday different and always exceptional. The administrator ( Mr Rich) and his lovely family were very hospitable. Me and my father we are thankful for this. The room is awesome with two comfortable beds and spectacular view. We are pleased indeed with this place.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

Really lovely place to spend a night on our visit to Lewes. Loved the free-standing bath and Victorian features. The room was so light and clean overlooking the charming garden. A short walk to all the quirky shops and streets of Lewes. Will definitely be booking the Orchard B&B for a longer weekend in the Spring.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
Pelham House
#1 of 1 in Ditchling
The Blacksmiths Arms
The Blacksmiths Arms
#1 of 1 in Offham

Been to Orchard Bed and Breakfast In Lewes? Share your experiences!