“Now Called The Cliff and Under New Management - Lovely”
Review of The White Schooner

The White Schooner
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lewes
The White Schooner
Ranked #37 of 41 Lewes B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We needed to visit our Daughter who had just moved to Peacehaven and, we thought, we'd have to stay in Brighton, however, after a quick Internet search we stumbled onto the Cliff, situated in Peacehaven High St. We soon realised that this Inn was formerly the White Schooner and, after we read reviews on here, we almost didn't book, but, I am so glad we decided to give it a chance.

Fred and his lovely Wife have only been there a few Months but they have really made a great start on turning this place around. It is a very laid back place, with a lovely friendly atmosphere. The renovations are not yet complete but, we were not put off by this.

Our room was basic but, light, airy and very clean. The bed was comfy and the shower nice and hot. We stayed for 2 nights and each day we had fresh towels laid out and the room cleaned.

Location wise, it was only a 5 Minute drive to our Daughters' so she took the opportunity to have Breakfast with us on both days, opposite is a Sainsburys Local which opens till 11 PM, very handy, Brighton is only 10-15 Minutes away by car and the views are lovely as the Inn is right on top of the cliffs.

There is a decking area to the rear, as well as car parking. The bar is lovely and modern, they have live music on Thursdays (this finishes at 10 pm so as not to wake the guests) and, I believe they are soon to be having Quiz Nights on a weekly basis. This place is very dog friendly and our 2 dogs were welcomed in every part of the hotel. The owners have 4 dogs and, if you are stuck, they will offer to dog sit for you. They are also very child friendly, they is a play area for kids in the bar and, one of the Quizzes they intend to do is to be a children's themed quiz.

Food - Breakfast was lovely. We had full English with coffee, tea and OJ on the first day then, my Daughter and I had eggs benedict the next day. Fred is a Chef and let me tell you, that guy can poach an egg.

We ate Dinner there on our second evening - I recommend the pulled pork sandwich and Cajun fries - yum.

Value for money - I definitely think so. £120 for both nights including breakfast, no extra charge for the dogs. Single rooms are £35, I believe. Dinner was under a tenner each, not sure about alcoholic drinks as we only drink soft drinks.

All in all, a very relaxing and enjoyable stay. Just a couple of grumbles - no Toilettries in the rooms so we had to pop out for soap, also, I would've liked to have had an info pack in the room regarding check out times, breakfast times and menu etc..., having said that, they are still in the middle of adding the finishing touches so,I'm sure, this will be addressed.

Rest assured, the Cliff bears no resemblance to its former incarnation, at all.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AnnetteJF

Reviewed 13 November 2013

given the position on the main road between Brighton and Eastbourne and a wonderful cliff walk a stone's throw away, together with a car park, you would think things couldn't possibly go wrong, but oh dear you would be wrong. The bar assistant who took our money (cash) was perfectly polite, but after that, things were to go downhill quickly. We had booked a family room and a single which turned out to be a single room size with twin beds, a hanging rail and a bedside cabinet. The room was far from clean, stank of smoke and the bedclothes questionable at best. Wires hanging down from the ceiling in one corner were somewhat alarming and the kettle was disgusting. Thankfully, the airing cupboard was left open throughout our stay and I replaced the bed linen in my room with clean linen. The corridor was partially blocked with wardrobes and bedside cabinets that had been taken out of bedrooms probably to make room for additional beds and these were undoubtedly in contravention of fire safety regulations. We tried the bar downstairs during our stay but after witnessing drunken squabbles and a man falling off his barstool we took our custom elsewhere.
The location was great, the car park was a bonus but the actual accommodation was really unforgivable.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ESH02
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Our party stayed in a double and a family room. The welcome wasn't esp. friendly - the bar is a terrible dive. (Slightly alarmed by the "no drug dealing sign" on the door - more on why later)
The machine wasn't working apparently so cash for the room was demanded on the spot, husband was directed to run across the road to access bank machine. 'Pay now, there will be no one here in the morning' sounded a bit ominous.
The front door of the accommodation had a notice that it should be 'locked at all times' - alarmingly there was no lock on the door - anyone could walk in. As you go up the stairs another sign telling you that 'Smoking is not permitted anywhere on the premises' - amidst the powerful reek of cigarette smoke. (Instructional signs clearly mean little to these people)
The rooms were reasonably clean if shabby. They lacked suitable furniture and in some cases, lighting. Towels provided were rather eccentric - 2 bath towels for the double and 3 hand towels for the family room. The windows, although double glazed, did not fit well and between the sea breezes and the permanently busy road outside, it was a noisy night. Not helped by someone clearly smoking heavily outside my door - probably some poor soul wandered in of the street to shelter ....and smoke.
The barman was correct - there was no one and nowhere to leave our keys in the morning ( no chance of breakfast either, in case you were wondering) . I ended up posting them through a letter box into (what I think was) the kitchen. No....I don't think I would eat there either.
It was a laugh staying there but I wouldn't choose to stay again.

Room Tip: Somewhere else? :)
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This place has the potential to be great but unfortunately the little bits really let this place down. Our room number 2 at the back of the building had a nice view of the sea in the distance. The room was clean and the bed was comfy. Unfortunately the main bedroom light fitting was missing and we had to rely upon a lamp. The windows do not work properly and need maintaining as one window would not shut properly and the wind whistles through the gap. The rooms are not maintained during your stay, bins not emptied etc. Store room cupboards in the hall way are left open and in dis array and old furniture left in the centre of the landing. The price is good for location to Brighton but this accommodation is more suited to contractors or stag parties.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I went in The White Schooner, Peacehaven, for some refreshments as I was working in the area. It was 11.32am, and the door was open. The barmaid had a fag hanging out of her mouth. As I walked in the phone rang. She took the call, I waited. When finished I asked for a Pepsi. 'We're not open' she said, still with a fag hanging out of her mouth. There were a couple at the other end of the bar with a cup of tea each. Her mates presumably.

Room Tip: Don't go there, ever.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank wilmsy1964
Reviewed 7 May 2013

The room was prob the worst room we had ever stayed in, the tv didn't work, the lamps had no bulbs, the bathroom was dirty, the water was scalding and the whole room was cold and shabby. The window frame looked like it would blow out every time the wind blew!! On the other hand we enjoyed the bar, friendly bar staff and looked very working mans club feel. Would'nt choose to ever stay there again. Good parking.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Arrived to be given an uncleaned room, the bathroom still had spent toothpaste in the sink, used shower gel packets in the bathroom, bedding not clean, TV did not work, asked for the TV to be fixed, was given a knife to fix myself, everything was too much trouble for them. left after 1 nights stay. Do not stay in this accomodation.

Room Tip: Book into somewhere else
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business