“Lovely Pizza's (Gluten free too if you want)” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Hearth

The Hearth
Ranked #9 of 111 Restaurants in Lewes
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Kids, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Seasonal Closing - We are closed on Thursday 24 December and Reopen on Monday 4 January The Hearth is a wood-fired cooking space where guests are fed heartily and healthily by passionate people. We make authentic Neapolitan sourdough pizzas, using responsibly sourced flours from specialised millers, which are baked in our traditional wood fired oven. And then served to you. With a smile.
Lewes, United Kingdom
“Lovely Pizza's (Gluten free too if you want)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

We went to The Hearth for the first time recently - an an old bus garage with a rustic interesting feel. Very nice (gluten free) Pizza's, salads, mezze board. I had the GF pizza, the rest of the table had ordinary pizza's - we all loved the food!
You can either buy a wine or beer there, or bring your own (£4 corkage) - their wines are very good value (ex: Anjou / Pinot Noir, Viognier).
Very friendly service from the owner and very accommodating too.
We were fascinated with the hairdryer on the pizza making table - this is to stoke the oven - lovely touch!
Highly Recommend!

• Visited March 2014

scotland
“Simply brilliant pizza!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

Been here a few times now. Had my sons pizza making birthday party here which was great fun. Full of higglety pigglety furniture and even a little melamine. The pizzas are absolutely lovely, possibly best pizza ever. Service is improving and the staff are usually very cheerful.

The record player creates a great atmosphere.

Really lovely food! Well done Michael and team!

• Visited February 2014
“Absolutely delicious pizza”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

We booked The Hearth at the recommendation of friends. The place is opposite Waitrose above the Old Bus Station Cafe in Lewes. I remember visiting the old greasy spoon there years ago, and it is fair to say they have transformed it without ruining the character of the building.
We were met by really lovely staff and felt very welcome. We got chatting to the owner, Michael, who built the oven and was happy to spend time telling me about it. (I tried building one in my garden years ago!) He is clearly very passionate about bread and pizzas and wood fired ovens. It was great to go to a place and meet someone real with so much enthusiasm for what he does.

We started with some spicy flat bread and I had a local beer (Long Man) The flat bread was so fresh and tasty, interesting to have something a bit more exotic on the menu than just olives!
I'm quite boring when it comes to pizza, I like a Pepperoni, but the waitress convinced me to try the special 'American Hot', it was the best pizza I have ever eaten. My partner had the vegetarian with vegan cheese, and our kids had their usual Margherita. The vegan cheese was a very big hit!
The waitress was fantastic with our kids, showing them the jukebox and handing out colouring pencils and some scrap paper. (so many places make you feel like you're being a nuisance when you have kids, not here, simply nothing was too much trouble).

I feel like this place is a real find. Fantastic value ( our whole meal was just under £30 for four of us)
A warm welcome, great food, fantastic service. What a great place. We will definitely be back.

• Visited December 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Fine pizzas, so long as you're not in a hurry”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

Set in a former bus station cafe, From the Hearth has the same sort of shabby-chic style that most independent Lewes cafes, restaurants and shops go for (Bill's has a lot to answer for), but given the location maybe it's more genuine than most. The menu is small and simple, but there's more than enough to satisfy most pizza lovers, although I would have liked a wider choice of drinks. Our visit was a weekend lunchtime, with about 50% of the tables occupied when we arrived, and the service was friendly (good to find, as it's not always the case in Lewes) but pretty slow, which suggests it's not the best place if you want to eat in a hurry, especially when it's busy. The wood-fired oven is quite small, which is maybe the reason for the slowness.
When your pizza does arrive, you'll feel it's worth the wait, and that the oven has really done its job. The bases are a lovely sourdough, fairly thin and very light. Things on top are fresh and good quality and work well with the base - I had what they called a "holy grail" which is the classic buffalo mozzarella and tomato, and it was terrific. I'd agree with one of the other reviewers that this is the standard of pizzas you'd expect in Italy - interestingly, this makes two places in Lewes where you can get such good pizza, the other being Famiglia, just up the hill from here.
In summary, if you like a great, authentic pizza, From the Hearth will certainly give you what you need, but I'd suggest you go when it's not busy. If they can get their speed up to that of Roman pizzerias, they'll really be on to a winner.

• Visited November 2013
Lewes, United Kingdom
“Really tasty pizza cooked in a wood-fired oven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

It's over a bus station, it's very casual but it has a lovely amosphere with the hearth as its heart. The pizzas are simply outstanding with fresh high-quality ingredients.

• Visited November 2013