“Best Guest House in Lewes!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lewes
Oakley Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 42 Lewes B&B and Inns
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
“Best Guest House in Lewes!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Very warm welcome received from Andrew and Helen who run this B & B. They made myself and my partner feel very much part of the family for a couple of days. Lovely breakfast, interesting conversations and very clean, neat room with lots of thoughtful extras provided to make our stay comfortable. Would definitely recommend.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

I picked Oakley because of the easy access to the train station and historic sights, and it turned out to be the perfect choice for me. This is not the tarted up guesthouse type bnb, but rather the more old fashioned room in a home, which I am usually somewhat leery of. But Andrew and Helen were so nice and welcoming, they immediately put me at ease.

The room was a small single, decor not fancy but with a really comfortable bed (the best one I encountered in England, including those in much more expensive hotels!) and thoughtful touches like specialty chocolates. I liked it that there was seasonal fresh fruit for breakfast--they really do seem to cater to all preferences, from vegans to carnivores.

I would definitely stay here again when stopping in Lewes--which is a really nice place to visit if you want the English experience (castle, ruins, gardens, quaint high street etc) without the vast hordes of tourists you get in places that may be more famous.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Utrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Good place to visit Lewes by foot. Pub nearby. Excellent room (quiet, not big but big enough, spotlessly clean and beautifully decorated) great breakfast. Helen and Andrew are really nice hosts and had excellent tips for what to visit in and around town. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We spent a very nice night at Oakley with Helen and Andrew. Lovely hosts - welcoming and full of entertaining chat - only sorry we were only there for one night. If back in the area we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Normandy, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Very pleasant and quiet rooms, with a lovely hospitality tray (such a thoughtful idea the mini thermos flasks for REAL milk!). The b&b is well located, and Helen goes out of her way to offer what you like for breakfast!
Will definitely go back next time in Lewes

(the lounge was very untidy, which is why I'm not giving it full marks.............. but Andrew had had an accident, so this may not be fair as it is probably not the norm......)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Andrew N, Owner at Oakley Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
These guests were charming and I hope they return, especially as I can practise my French. Our living room was very cluttered when they stayed for a night and this was, as I explained, due to my other work. I work part-time for Lewes Priory Trust and had just delivered an educational workshop for 160 children and all the equipment, materials and cooking supplies were in my living room waiting for me to sort out and repack. This I did the day they left. My husband had had a nasty accident at work and was all but bedridden at the time so I was chief cook, bottle washer, nursemaid, chalet girl and hostess too. Glad to say he is on the mend and getting around with crutches now and thankfully able to do the ironing!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

Helen should do stand up comedy club and with Andy make a great double act.
Welcoming, comfortable, and freebies on arrival and very near the best pub in
town the Kings Head. Great breakfast and drinks.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

I have not stayed in a B&B for some years, opting for instead chain hotels whenever I just need to stay over for one night. I have been missing out! Oakley is the perfect example of how more pleasurable it can be staying in a B&B rather than a generic chain hotel. For less money my friend and I enjoyed thoughtful touches such as wide range of clipper teas on the hospitality tray together with lovely biscuits, fresh milk and bottled water. The room was charming with a selection of local books about Sussex.

The bathroom had plenty of towels and an array of toiletries.

Our hosts Andy and Helen were warm and welcoming. We checked in early so we could get ready for a wedding and were offered a much needed cup of tea upon arrival. They made sure we had fresh milk upon our return in the evening so we could have a brew before retiring to bed after a long day.

Breakfast was generous and very good. It surpasses anything you would have at a chain hotel where there is normally an additional charge of £10-£15 for a rubbery English breakfast. There was a choice of cereals. There was also yoghurt, toast, fruit, fresh juice. The bacon and sausages were of excellent quality and the cafetiere of fresh coffee was delicious.

Keep up the good work! Your thoughtfulness and warmth made our stay 5 *

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
Pelham House
Newmarket Inn
Newmarket Inn
#4 of 8 in Lewes
Premier Inn Newhaven Hotel

Been to Oakley Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!