“Wonderful hotel”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Lewes
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Wonderful hotel”
Reviewed 21 April 2011

We had a wonderful stay at this delightful hotel. The service was excellent, and the staff were very helpful and considerate. My husband and my elderly mother stayed for 3 nights and had a wonderful break Our rooms overlooked the garden and the South Downs. The garden has a wonderful terrace, and we were able to have breakfast and afternoon tea out there. We loved the tranquil garden with its changing display of sculptures. Easy to curl up with a book and a good cup of coffee in the sunshine. We were in the centre of Lewes so lots of opportunity to go browsing round the shops. Also very close to the South Downs for lovely walks and drives. The food was delicious, we loved the fantastic breakfast.. We liked the flexibility , with an elderly relative or lunch on the terrace, afternoon tea, a supper in the lounge or a wonderful dinner in the restaurant. Loved our stay and will be returning soon.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Finnish first
Reading
Reviewed 14 April 2011

We booked 2 rooms for my birthday including a room for my daughter who was visiting form Holland. We had a lovely evening meal but neither room had hot water the next morning despite the outlandishly priced accomodation.
The receptionist did not answer my phone calls - too busy apparently - and failed to appease my failing humour. The duty manager listened and said all the right things and did not charge us for the meal the previous evening.
A voucher for a future visit was promised but has never arrived......
My recommendation ; give this hotel a miss.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Lewes hotels

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 12 April 2011

I am 46, frequent traveller, sportive. Looking for a Hotel in this little village, Lewes, I get to the Pelham House: nice architecture, quiet location however in the mid of high street . . . it looks really good! A quite interesting old mansion with definitely a lot of charme.
I go in and the first surprise is the lobby, where a fully shrunk desk as big as half of my office desk is all I see. Quick check in and credit card pre-approval (for just 3 nights stay) because it does not look enough to retain a copy of my ID and to retain my credit card number . . . anyway . . . 1 single room B&B for 80 GBP . . . let' s see . . . I get to my room, 1st floor: it' s a tiny room with prcatically no furniture, absolutely nothing, a table and a bed. Looks like I got I mid level jail room! The lue is OK but the related windows cannot be opened at all ! The room faces the front side of the Hotel with related parking. Using the hotel' s parking would cost me extre GBP 6.5 . . . outside my room we find the wooden stairs leading to next floors. No A/C, a thiny old TV and single glass not renewed windows and related frames. I go out for dinner and get back . . . try to go to sleep but really can' t !!! Other guests going up and down the stairs just outside the room provoke a real huge noise + people chatting and laughing in the courtyard look like being my own guest in my own room: I really can hear every single word of theirs! At about 2 o' clock a fall asleep. Get up at 7.30, ready for breakfast: but I cannot have breakfast, given on Sat and Sun breakfast starts being served at . . . 8 am!!!!! Being more and more happy to pay 80 GBP per night I decide no to spend the 3rd night in the jail room of mine and I proceed to cancel right away my 3rd night. At the beginning they would like to charge me anyway 100% of the rate "due to cancellation policy" . I get solidly nervous and ask to talk to the mgr, who is not there . . . after 10 minutes they talk to the manager and they confirm me they will not charge the 3rd night!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Whitstable
Reviewed 3 April 2011

Superb hotel, centrally positioned in Lewes.
Highly efficient, professional and friendly staff.
Delicious food and very pleasant and comfortable atmosphere.
Delightful gardens with beautiful examples of modern sculpture in the garden and artwork inside the hotel.
Will definitely be making a return visit.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Whitstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2011

Very central location in Lewes and a delightful traditional hotel. The staff couldn't do enough for us and we had an excellent dinner in the beautiful wood panelled dining room (worth booking rather than the other dining room). As it rained we couldn't enjoy afternoon tea on the terrace with all the fabulous modern art sculputes in the gardens.

Parking is a bit limited but we did manage to park the car even though it was not an official space! . I left the keys with reception and they were quite happy though. Free fast wifi in the room was an unexpected bonus.

Our room was very nicely decorated and a good shower in the ensuite. Tea/coffee and shortbread biscuits provided in the room. Overall good value for money and we very much enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nickcf
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2011

Had a very enjoyable Saturday evening stay. Great food and a nice feel overall.
Maybe a little pricey for the size of the room.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2011

We were given a room outside of the main house - for £145 we felt it was very small and were disappointed that there was no bath , just a small shower room. The staff were friendly and the terrace/garden area lovely but felt it should have been £90-£100. Breakfast very good.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
The Shelleys
East Sussex National
East Sussex National
#1 of 2 in Little Horsted
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,147 reviews

Been to Pelham House? Share your experiences!