Pelham House Hotel
  • Restaurant
White Horse Hotel(Rottingdean)
Horsted Place(Little Horsted)
View Hotel
East Sussex National(Little Horsted)
The Bull(Ditchling)
1,088 results
All reviewsexecutive roompanelled dining roombubble and squeakparking spacehigh streetbridal suiteeggs benedictsouth downswine liststreet parkinglovely gardenfull englishthe main houseshower roomsalmonlarge roomcentre of town
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 October 2011

We had a wonderful stay at Pelham house for our friends wedding. Our room was extremely spacious and elegantly furnished. The bed was a king size and really comfortable. The bathroom was spotless and the shower was excellent. The food at the wedding, and again at breakfast was delicious and cooked to perfection. We enjoyed it so much that we have been back to eat at the hotel with friends, and have been equally impressed. Pelham House is a charming hotel, the staff are really friendly and attentive, and I would thoroughly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2011

My wife and I spent a fabulous weekend at this delightful hotel just off the main street in Lewes. The staff were without exception tremendously attentive, with all the right touches to make you feel special wihtout being overbearing. The food was amazing ( try the souffle with cheese & pickle sandwich, you won't regret it!). We stayed in Room four, comfortably sized, with views over the garden and an enormous en-suite with island bath, highly recommended!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room four, comfortably sized, lovely four poster bed, with views over the garden and an enormous en-suite with island bath
Reviewed 17 October 2011

We stayed for one night last week and our only regret was that we could not stay longer because the hotel was full. We had a standard room and were very happy with it (room 14). Plenty of space in the room and bathroom (bath & shower over) comfortable bed, and a selection of fruit, including kiwis & strawberries provided. Our evening meal was of a very high standard and extremely good value for money. My dessert would not have been out of place in any Michelin star restaurant - trio of seasonal fruits (blackberry panne cotta, plum frangipane tart & apple & mint granita). The breakfast was equally good with two different fruit compotes, croissants and a great hot selection including eggs benedict. The location is great - right in the centre of Lewes. Do book a car parking space with the hotel beforehand though. We experienced very good customer service from the friendly staff. We had arrived early and it was no problem to leave our car. We were also given tips on what to see in Lewes without prompting. The hotel has a great feel about it, and we shall most certainly be back in the future.

Reviewed 10 October 2011

Pelham House is, in my view, the best place to stay in Lewes. It's competitors (and there aren't many) are either overpriced or a bit tired. I have stayed at the Pelham on a number of occasions. It is well located in the centre of the town, it has a wonderful garden, which is super for warmer days and the breakfasts are delicious. It is a converted local authority building and the rooms are clearly old offices. The paintwork within them could do with touching up a bit! Other than that, they are comfortable and well equipped. HOWEVER, last time we are given one of the garages to stay in. Yes - they are converted garages and still have the old doors on them (albeit they are now turned into windows). Inside, again, the room is fine - with an excellent shower. They could do with a mirror over the desk. BUT they are NOISY. - the windows are high up (good thing as you face onto the car park). They tilt open - and the roller blinds then rattle in the breeze, thus keeping you awake. When I was there, late guests came back fairly noisily in the early hours. THEN a delivery driver arrived at 5.00am, parked with his engine running just outside our window. I strongly recommend to the managers that they instal air co into these rooms, as it is impossible to sleep in them with a window open. I would stay at the Pelham again - but will specifically ask not to have one of these rooms

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank jpm_9
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We found out about this hotel (and Lewes) through a deal website and when I phoned the hotel to ask for availability, there was none. I called back a couple of days later and (thanks to a cancellation?) we managed to secure a room for 2 nights.

As I booked through the phone, I dealt with a very nice person who was extremely accommodating and did her best to fulfill our request of a DVD player in the room (just in case it was a raining week-end...)

When we arrived we were brought to the room by the receptionist and 15min later we ordered a bottle of bubbly that was brought promptly to us at the right temperature.
To us, poor middle-class couple the room was amazing. Spacious and full of light, the wardrobe, the fireplace and the bed were more than we were expecting. The bathroom was superb!

As I remembered the previous reviews that I read I checked all those little things that people didn't appreciate and none of them were there so I can only assume that the management heard them and changed few things.
Both days our linen was changed and a couple of chocolates were waiting for us as well as 2 bottle of still water nest to the "tea area" (the box was actually filled with all sort of teas, coffees and hot chocolate, as well as sugar, milk and shortbread/cookies)

The shampoo and soap samples in the bathroom were more than enough for us and renewed each day. When we arrive some classical music was playing from the ipod dock next to the combi tv/dvd.

The staff... what can I say... they were just amazing! Even though it was clear that we weren't in the same class as their usual customers we were treated like kings. They were charming, caring and funny at times and that makes a hell of a big difference to us. They remembered us, we didn't have to ask for the key each time we arrived as they handed it straight away without asking for our room number.

The only downside of the hotel is the noise management. I know that it's not easy in such a building if you want to keep it as much as possible in its original state but depending on your neighbors it can be hard to sleep. We have been lucky that no wedding was happening but on the first night some people were pretty loud in the garden after midnight and in the morning the crow/seagull/pigeon cacophony can be pretty loud and annoying... but then again, it's the country side and I'd rather have that than the police cars of London...
As for the trains, well there's not much to do about them anyway...

I would recommend it to my friends anytime... if it was in our budget. But I will surely say good things about it and maybe one day, once I win the lottery go back there...

1  Thank jingeos