“Lovely hotel but small room”
Review of Pelham House

Pelham House
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Lewes
southampton
“Lovely hotel but small room”
Reviewed 22 October 2012

We stayed at the hotel for one night in October, whilst visting Lewes for a friend's birthday party. We ate lunch in the hotel upon arrival, but not in the evening.

Overall impression of the hotel was very good. It is a beautiful building. The dining area we had lunch in was perfectly fine, although we noticed that there was another very attractive room which we presume is used for evening dining, and if we went again I think we would try to eat in that dining room. The bar was small but perfectly adequate.

Lunch was good, although they did get my drink wrong initially (the waiter dealt with this very quickly and professionally) and I made a special request about my pudding which was not dealt with, which was a bit of shame. Despite this, a very pleasant lunch and the starters in particular were very good.

We took breakfast in our room the next morning. It was a bit of a challenge given the room size (see below) but we were very impressed with the quality. Often, if you take room service breakfast, it turns up soggy and/or cold, but the breakfast we had seemed hot, fresh and just right (even the poached egg!).

The main downside to our stay was the size of the room. We booked a standard double and it was TINY. The bathroom was also very small indeed, with only a shower and not a bath (in fairness the hotel website does say "bath or shower"). It did not matter too much to us as we were staying only one night, but the room would not be suitable for longer stays. In particular, the wardrobe was only big enough to take a small amount of items, and there was no other space (e.g. drawers) in which other items could be stored. The room did have a TV, but this is very small, so if your hotel stay involves laying in bad to watch a film, it is not really suitable. If you are planning on staying for more than one night, you would definitely need to book a bigger room.

Our room was also very noisy, from both inside and outside the hotel (it was a necessity to have the window open a crack as the room was so hot). People in the corridor sounded like they were in the room, and the next bedroom's door was so close it was difficult to tell if someone was knocking on their door or yours. I also found the bed quite hard, so neither of us got a good night's sleep.

We had left it too late to book a car park space at the hotel, so had to park in the railway station car park. It is very close, but the walk to the hotel is uphill, so when choosing your overnight case you might want to pick the one with wheels!

Despite the failings of the room, I still rate the hotel as four stars because overall it is a beautiful place, and the staff were very friendly and professional.

Room Tip: Don't go for a standard double if you are staying more than one night - too small.
1 Thank jomajo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Finnish first
Peacehaven
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Myself and my husband got married at Pelham house, the staff were fantastic, they went above and beyond to help. The night before the wedding, they set up a family suite for myself and all my bridesmaids, and the night on the wedding we stayed in the bridal suit, which was beautiful. The food was exceptional, and the gardens are beautiful. All staff are friendly and extremely accommodating. Fantastic 2night stay. Wonderful day, I would defiantly recommend for all couples looking for wedding venues, but also just as a little get away, wonderful hotel.

1 Thank Kat N
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House, responded to this review, 2 November 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Congratulations on your recent wedding. I hope that married life is treating you well.
I would like to take this moment to thank you for choosing to celebrate your wedding at Pelham House and to say how delighted I am that we were able to make the day the special occasion that you both deserved.
I hope you will visit us again soon.
Best wishes for the future from all at Pelham House
Derbyshire, UK
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Pelham House is a lovely building situated a few feet from Lewes high street. Firstly we found the staff at the hotel to be friendly and pleasant, nothing was too much trouble. Parking was not an issue even though we did not reserve a parking space (they only have a few spaces and they are tight and £6.50 a night) we parked on the road below the hotel, a hundred or so yards down a steep hill. It is free to park on the road after 6pm and before 8am and only took a waddle down the hill at 0800 to put a 90p ticket on the car to cover us whilst we dressed and had breakfast. No problems at all.

Our room was in the attic, an executive room which had a king size bed, well furnished and clean. We found two faults though which mean I would choose a room elsewhere in the building next time. The shower room was small and the shower itself had black/mouldy grout and sealant which really looked a miss when everything else looked very slick. The second problem we found was due to the age of the building and the fact the room is high up facing down a steep hill towards the downs, the problem is when the wind blows the windows rattle and bang so loudly it kept us awake for hours one night.

Breakfast is good quality indicated by not using cheap and nasty bacon and sausages with their cooked breakfast and decent coffee. We did not have dinner here but it looked lovely.

It is also worth noting that the hotel is a wedding venue so the cost of our room for the Saturday night was really expensive compared to Thurs and Fri. The noise from the wedding party stopped at about midnight so was not an issue for us on the noise front.

We will stay again but not on the top floor and will avoid Sat night as it is not worth the cost.

Room Tip: Avoid Sat nights and the top floor if it is going to be windy.
2 Thank familyPalmer
PelhamHouseLewes, Front Office Manager at Pelham House, responded to this review, 2 November 2012
Dear Reviewer,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review and to provide your comments.
I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay over all. However, I was disappointed to hear from your description that the cleanliness of the bathroom was below our usual standards. I can assure you that this has now been addressed and I thank you for bringing it to our attention.
We are a popular wedding venue and so it is true that prices on the weekend can be higher to those during the week. However, we run new offers throughout the year so for you next stay please speak with our front of house team who will be happy to let you know the best offers available.
On a final, positive note I am glad that you enjoyed breakfast and I promise dinner is as good as it looks...
We look forward to welcoming you back soon
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We had a lovely time celebrating my husbands birthday. The staff were really helpful, in particular...

Gave us a free room upgrade.
Gave us a late check out.
Let us park our car longer than we should have (parking tricky otherwise in Lewes).

Nice room. Gorgeous view of the South Downs.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EllieOttawa
PelhamHouseLewes, Manager at Pelham House, responded to this review, 2 November 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments and I hope your husband had a wonderful birthday.
I am very happy to hear that you had a pleasurable stay. Whenever we can we try to offer these special extras to make our guests stay all that more enjoyable. Although this is not always possible we always endeavour to meet every request, so I am delighted to hear that we were able to assist you with everything that you needed.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Many Thanks
Devon
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Just got back from staying one night on 4th October, as we were going to Glyndebourne. Very easy to get to Glyndebourne from here. Nicely situated behind the high street in Lewes. We stayed in Room 12. pleasant,warm, quiet room overlooking the pleasant garden. I suppose a little on the small side but nice high ceiling so didnt feel too cramped although it was a bit of a squeeze on one side of the bed. Nice selection of teas/coffee and biscuits. Bathroom nice but shower only, again a little on the small side. Well equipped room though with two mirrors, iron, hairdryer. Lovely comfortable bed and nice bedding, towels and toiletries. A really nice touch was that they left chocolates on our bed and put the lights on and left soft music playing for when we returned at night which was a nice surprise. Breakfast was very good, excellent buffet choice with fruits, pastries, cereals, juice etc. We had a full English breakfast which was excellent. Nice wood panelled dining room. Polite staff, especially the receptionist.
Only moan is that we thought we shouldnt have to pay £6.50 for parking and I agree with other guests that they should get flatscreen tvs.. Overall, a nice stay and we would stay there again if we got another good deal, wouldnt pay more than we did at £81 through laterooms. Thanks very much to all the staff.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the garden probably
2 Thank Colyton
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your recent stay.
We are in the perfect location for those visiting Glyndebourne and I very much hope that you enjoyed the performance.
I am glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay and in particular that your enjoyed your breakfast.
The car parking is very limited and so unfortunately we cannot offer this to all guests which is why we charge for the spaces. However, I have taken your comments on this into consideration.
With regards to the flat screen T.V’s I take this as a very valid point and am happy to inform you that we are planning to update all room with this feature in the very near future.
The chocolates on the pillows and music playing in the room are part of our turn down service from the housekeeping team and I will make sure to pass your comments on to them, as they will be delighted to hear that these little touches were appreciated.
I hope that you will return to us for Glyndebourne again next year and I look forward to welcoming you back.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2012

My friend and I just spent the weekend at Pelham House in a standard twin room.

As is often expected with the cheapest room category everything was small, small bathroom, small twin beds and the tiniest box tv I have seen. However this is just an observation rather than a complaint as we did not plan to spend much time in the room and it was actually very comfortable and cosy for our one night stay, also it had great views of the garden.

Dinner in the restaurant was delicious, portions ranged from petit to generous but food is rich and after 3 courses and a bottle of wine we were very full. Waiting staff were great and happy to explain all dishes on the menu to us. Breakfast again was delicious, lovely thick toast on offer before eating a perfect Eggs Benedict.

The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and the location is perfect for wandering around Lewes.

I would be sure to reccomend this hotel however I do think the rooms could do with a slight upgrade and would suggest replacing the small box tv's with flatscreens ;)

Good job Pelham House!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your considered comments on your recent stay at Pelham House.
We are glad that you enjoyed you experience in the restaurant both for dinner and for breakfast. We are very passionate about the food and the service here, so you positive feedback is very important to the team.
Our room sizes range from small to executive and so there is a noticeable difference between these categories however, we strive to make sure that even the smaller of the rooms are cosy, comfortable, and meet you every need, so I am happy to hear this was suitable for your stay.
We are currently in the process of updating and refurbishing all of the rooms and flat screen T.V are one of our main priorities. This is an ongoing process so hopefully you will be able to enjoy this new feature during your next stay.
Again, thank you for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2012

I booked a 2 night stay at Pelham House for my husband's birthday treat. Having read some of the reviews I was a little anxious but I shouldn't have worried.
We were greeted at reception by a very friendly receptionist, who swiftly checked us in and showed us to our room. The room was simple but stylishly decorated, with lovely views of the garden. Levels of cleanliness were high (much to my pleasure!) and the bed was firm and comfy.
On the first evening we opted to have dinner in the restaurant. We booked a table for 8p.m and had an aperitif in the bar beforehand. The barman made us a delicious cocktail each, which we drank whilst reviewing the menus. The waiter took our order in the bar so that we could finish our drinks before our starters arrived.
The food was simply delicious when it came. To start I had crab souffle, which was rich and wonderfully 'crabby'...my husband opted for scallops with bacon, which he said were well cooked and very sweet. Being fans of game, we both opted for wood pigeon for our main courses. It was cooked pink and served with livers, potatoes with onions and a lovely sticky sauce...yum. We washed it all down with a very surprising bottle of red...surprising as it was from Mexico...who'd have thought?! Finally, as we were both pretty stuffed, we just shared a cheese plate. The waiter told us all of the cheese was British and some of it local. We had an espresso and cognac in the bar before heading up to bed.
Breakfast the next morning didn't disappoint. We both went for the full works...bacon, sausage, poached eggs, tomatoes, black pudding and especially good toast (not your normal hotel Mighty White offering!). A good start to the day.
We met friends in a local pub for our second evening, so didn't get to dine again in the restaurant, which was a bit of a shame but it gives us an excuse to go back!

Room Tip: Try and get room 11 if you can....lovely garden views
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
The Shelleys
East Sussex National
East Sussex National
#1 of 2 in Little Horsted
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,144 reviews

Been to Pelham House? Share your experiences!