“Just what we wanted!”
Review of Pelham House Hotel

Pelham House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Lewes
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We have just got back from a 2 night stay at Pelham House and had a very relaxing time. All the staff very helpful and friendly. The lounge bar was nice and cosy with the soft lights and candles. Room was simple but clean and what was nice nice was returning to our room after evenings out was to have our blinds drawn, chocolates on the bed , a sml light left on and soft music from the radio playing. Breakfast was very nice but the service on sunday was slow and we did have to send our hot good back as eggs were hard but chef was very apologetic and we got back perfect eggs!!! Our only negative!! We will stay at Pelham House again!

• Stayed: October 2012
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2012

Thank you for your feedback, I am very happy to hear that we were able to give you ‘just what your wanted’ during your recent stay with us at Pelham House. We aim to create a relaxed and cosy atmosphere for all our guests so it gives me pleasure to hear that the candle lit lounge and bedroom turn down service added those special touches to make your stay all the more enjoyable.
Sunday breakfast service is always the busiest however, this should never compromise our standards and so I sincerely apologise for the slow service that you experienced but am happy that we were able to rectify this for you quickly.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back.
All the best
Paul Morgan, General Manager and all Team at Pelham House.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,063)

Reviewed 28 October 2012

My son and his wife got married at this Hotel this Saturday.It was overall a joyful experience.The wedding plans went entirely to plan and it was planned and executed in 4 weeks.
The staff at the hotel couldn't do enough for us and Mark who had overall charge of the wedding on the day was brilliant.The registrar who conducted the wedding was really great. It made it a very special ceremony. Both the Panelled room where they got married and also the Chamber where the reception was held are beautiful rooms.The additional decoration provided by the hotel enhanced their beauty. Pelham House which I assume was originally a private country house is overall a very beautiful hotel and all the guest rooms are individual and very attractively decorated.The Bridal suite is especially sumptious.
We stayed overnight and found the bed to be very comfortable.The bathroom is modern and they provided very nice complimentary toiletries and tea and coffee making facilities .The breakfast which was included in the room rate had an extensive choice of both continental and cooked breakfast and was beautifully presented and cooked.
It was indeed a great place to hold a classy wedding.

Reviewed 23 October 2012

I was due to stay here 23/10/12. On arrival I was asked if I had 'booked' a parking space...I hadn't as my company had booked the hotel and having travelled up & down the country for many years it has been my experience that you tend not to have to book a parking space at a hotel with a car park. I was then informed that they could squeeze my car in but I would have to pay £6.50 to park overnight. I presume they think they can get away with this little scam. I went to my room and phoned The Shellys (just round the corner) booked a room there and returned to the reception & booked out. I have given the hotel a 'poor' marking for this reason. To be fair, my room and the hotel looked pretty decent and I'm sure I would have enjoyed my stay in other circumstances...I am just not going to be ripped off.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Paul C
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide these comments and I am sorry to hear of your disspointment with your recent stay. We have contacted you directly to offer a personal apology and to try and recify the situation. Please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel should you not receive this or wish to discuss the matter further.

Kind Regards
Paul Morgan, General Manager

Reviewed 22 October 2012

We stayed at the hotel for one night in October, whilst visting Lewes for a friend's birthday party. We ate lunch in the hotel upon arrival, but not in the evening.

Overall impression of the hotel was very good. It is a beautiful building. The dining area we had lunch in was perfectly fine, although we noticed that there was another very attractive room which we presume is used for evening dining, and if we went again I think we would try to eat in that dining room. The bar was small but perfectly adequate.

Lunch was good, although they did get my drink wrong initially (the waiter dealt with this very quickly and professionally) and I made a special request about my pudding which was not dealt with, which was a bit of shame. Despite this, a very pleasant lunch and the starters in particular were very good.

We took breakfast in our room the next morning. It was a bit of a challenge given the room size (see below) but we were very impressed with the quality. Often, if you take room service breakfast, it turns up soggy and/or cold, but the breakfast we had seemed hot, fresh and just right (even the poached egg!).

The main downside to our stay was the size of the room. We booked a standard double and it was TINY. The bathroom was also very small indeed, with only a shower and not a bath (in fairness the hotel website does say "bath or shower"). It did not matter too much to us as we were staying only one night, but the room would not be suitable for longer stays. In particular, the wardrobe was only big enough to take a small amount of items, and there was no other space (e.g. drawers) in which other items could be stored. The room did have a TV, but this is very small, so if your hotel stay involves laying in bad to watch a film, it is not really suitable. If you are planning on staying for more than one night, you would definitely need to book a bigger room.

Our room was also very noisy, from both inside and outside the hotel (it was a necessity to have the window open a crack as the room was so hot). People in the corridor sounded like they were in the room, and the next bedroom's door was so close it was difficult to tell if someone was knocking on their door or yours. I also found the bed quite hard, so neither of us got a good night's sleep.

We had left it too late to book a car park space at the hotel, so had to park in the railway station car park. It is very close, but the walk to the hotel is uphill, so when choosing your overnight case you might want to pick the one with wheels!

Despite the failings of the room, I still rate the hotel as four stars because overall it is a beautiful place, and the staff were very friendly and professional.

Room Tip: Don't go for a standard double if you are staying more than one night - too small.
1  Thank jomajo
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Myself and my husband got married at Pelham house, the staff were fantastic, they went above and beyond to help. The night before the wedding, they set up a family suite for myself and all my bridesmaids, and the night on the wedding we stayed in the bridal suit, which was beautiful. The food was exceptional, and the gardens are beautiful. All staff are friendly and extremely accommodating. Fantastic 2night stay. Wonderful day, I would defiantly recommend for all couples looking for wedding venues, but also just as a little get away, wonderful hotel.

1  Thank Kat N
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2012

Dear Reviewer,
Congratulations on your recent wedding. I hope that married life is treating you well.
I would like to take this moment to thank you for choosing to celebrate your wedding at Pelham House and to say how delighted I am that we were able to make the day the special occasion that you both deserved.
I hope you will visit us again soon.
Best wishes for the future from all at Pelham House

Reviewed 8 October 2012

Pelham House is a lovely building situated a few feet from Lewes high street. Firstly we found the staff at the hotel to be friendly and pleasant, nothing was too much trouble. Parking was not an issue even though we did not reserve a parking space (they only have a few spaces and they are tight and £6.50 a night) we parked on the road below the hotel, a hundred or so yards down a steep hill. It is free to park on the road after 6pm and before 8am and only took a waddle down the hill at 0800 to put a 90p ticket on the car to cover us whilst we dressed and had breakfast. No problems at all.

Our room was in the attic, an executive room which had a king size bed, well furnished and clean. We found two faults though which mean I would choose a room elsewhere in the building next time. The shower room was small and the shower itself had black/mouldy grout and sealant which really looked a miss when everything else looked very slick. The second problem we found was due to the age of the building and the fact the room is high up facing down a steep hill towards the downs, the problem is when the wind blows the windows rattle and bang so loudly it kept us awake for hours one night.

Breakfast is good quality indicated by not using cheap and nasty bacon and sausages with their cooked breakfast and decent coffee. We did not have dinner here but it looked lovely.

It is also worth noting that the hotel is a wedding venue so the cost of our room for the Saturday night was really expensive compared to Thurs and Fri. The noise from the wedding party stopped at about midnight so was not an issue for us on the noise front.

We will stay again but not on the top floor and will avoid Sat night as it is not worth the cost.

Room Tip: Avoid Sat nights and the top floor if it is going to be windy.
2  Thank familyPalmer
PelhamHouseLewes, Front Office Manager at Pelham House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2012

Dear Reviewer,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review and to provide your comments.
I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay over all. However, I was disappointed to hear from your description that the cleanliness of the bathroom was below our usual standards. I can assure you that this has now been addressed and I thank you for bringing it to our attention.
We are a popular wedding venue and so it is true that prices on the weekend can be higher to those during the week. However, we run new offers throughout the year so for you next stay please speak with our front of house team who will be happy to let you know the best offers available.
On a final, positive note I am glad that you enjoyed breakfast and I promise dinner is as good as it looks...
We look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 7 October 2012

We had a lovely time celebrating my husbands birthday. The staff were really helpful, in particular...

Gave us a free room upgrade.
Gave us a late check out.
Let us park our car longer than we should have (parking tricky otherwise in Lewes).

Nice room. Gorgeous view of the South Downs.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EllieOttawa
PelhamHouseLewes, Manager at Pelham House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2012

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments and I hope your husband had a wonderful birthday.
I am very happy to hear that you had a pleasurable stay. Whenever we can we try to offer these special extras to make our guests stay all that more enjoyable. Although this is not always possible we always endeavour to meet every request, so I am delighted to hear that we were able to assist you with everything that you needed.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Many Thanks

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
The Shelleys
#2 of 43 in Brighton
Blanch House
Blanch House
#1 of 43 in Brighton

Been to Pelham House Hotel? Share your experiences!