“Lovely Weekend Stay”
Review of Pelham House Hotel

Pelham House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Lewes
Reviewed 6 November 2012

We stayed at the Pelham House for the Bonfire Weekend. We loved the house - relaxed with elegant features. Excellent location in a charming town. The food was really good and they had some interesting wine selections to try and cocktails. I thought the tables in the dining room were a tiny bit too close together. Staff were very pleasant and friendly. Our room (number 7) was just fine - clean, comfortable, quiet, plenty of space, nice views and sunshine in the mornings. The bathroom (shower only) was small and a little cold because the windows are old and drafty, but once I figured out how to turn the heated towel bar on, that helped. The amenities don't include body lotion but the shampoo and conditioner were good quality. It would be nice if they had a fitness room or access to one nearby in the town - it's too easy to put on weight here with their yummy food. The Bonfire was really good fun. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 7 was quiet with a nice view and plenty of room although bathroom only has a shower.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ThroughPassenger
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope that you had fantastic fireworks night experience. Bonfire Night is the most important annual event in Lewes and so we strive to make this occasion the perfect weekend away for all our guests.
As it is one of the busiest times of our year the restaurant was full every night but I am sorry that you felt the tables were too close together. I will ask the restaurant manager to look into this and hope that it did not spoil your dining experience.
You comments on the bathroom amenities are also valid and I agree that body lotion would be a lovely extra so I thank you for this suggestion.
Likewise, you point on fitness facilities is well received. There are a few facilities nearby so I am sorry that this information was not easily accessible to you and so we will look into how we can provide this for our future guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future - maybe for next year’s bonfire festivities?
Many Thanks again for your feedback.

Warm Regards
Paul Morgan, General Manager and all the team at Pelham House.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,072)

Reviewed 6 November 2012

We recently attended a wedding at Pelham house and had a two night stay. The hotel is lovely, the rooms used for the reception were spot on and everything ran very smoothly. The bedrooms were beautifully appointed and had lovely views into the garden area.
Overall our stay was lovely and we will certainly use this hotel again. Particular mention should be made to Steve who is the wedding planner. His advice and attention to detail were second to none and he certainly made the day one to remember. A massive asset to the hotel !

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PaulbB_11

It gives me great pleasure to read this review so thank you so much for taking the time to give your thoughts.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the wedding you attended. Steve is definitely an asset to our company and his passion for weddings is second to none. I will certainly pass on your comments to him as I am sure that it will make his day!
We look forward to welcoming you back again
All the best
Paul Morgan, General Manager and all the team at Pelham House.

Reviewed 6 November 2012 via mobile

I attended a wedding reception at this hotel .location was hard to find however upon telephoning the hotel staff were helpful to give directions but not to inform us there was no parking at the hotel be it when we arrived we found space where there was no reserved signs .we parked to then be told at the reception we need to move just in case guests arrived who needed the space or had reserved .so a little notice advising that is needed especially when we had a baby we were carrying around . Building and decor nice although a bit mix match and did not like the animal heads hanging on the wall in reception doesn't match decor.
Lack of staff at wedding reception and when we arrived food was being taken away do we didn't get to eat wedding food buffet and it had only been out for a bit . Not enough ...so we ordered sandwich from the bar that I must say was good . Ham was good quality and mustard may have been homemade taste good . The most negative about our visit was price of drinks £5 plus per drink expensive alcohol .

• Stayed: October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on Pelham House. I very much hope that despite the shortcomings you found you were able to enjoy wedding reception that you attended.
Situated in the heart of a historic town with all its cobbled streets and narrow lanes Pelham House can be difficult to find however, I am glad that the staff were able to assist you. Our car park is very limited and as such whenever we are holding a wedding we ask the bride and groom to allocate the spaces available but I am very sorry to hear that you were not aware of these restrictions and that this was not advised to you on the phone when you were given directions.
We are happy to hear that overall you liked the building and decor. The animal heads which you mention are pape mache and are part of an art exhibition at the hotel. Throughout the year we feature work by local artists which changes every couple of months and so these individual pieces are not a permanent feature.
We do only use the best quality products for all our drinks and so the prices reflect this however, we would never like our guest to feel that the prices were unreasonable and so I am sorry to hear that you felt this.
I am sorry that you felt the number of staff was lacking and that the buffet was taken away too early. We always strive to provide the best service possible and so I will certainly look into the staffing issue that you have raised. With regards to the buffet we go by the timings as instructed by the bride and groom in order to provide the best service along with their evening so I am sad to hear that you missed out of this but glad that you enjoyed the alternative sandwiches.
Weddings are very important for us at Pelham House and we always strive to make the occasion as special as possible for both the bride and groom and all their family and friends and so I am saddened to hear that the issues you have commented on tainted the experience for you. However, I sincerely thank you for your comments as it is with feedback like this that we can identify any areas that need improvement.
I hope that if you visit Pelham House again in the future you experience will be a wholly different one.
Kind Regards
Paul Morgan, General Manager and The Pelham House Team

Reviewed 4 November 2012

We have just got back from a 2 night stay at Pelham House and had a very relaxing time. All the staff very helpful and friendly. The lounge bar was nice and cosy with the soft lights and candles. Room was simple but clean and what was nice nice was returning to our room after evenings out was to have our blinds drawn, chocolates on the bed , a sml light left on and soft music from the radio playing. Breakfast was very nice but the service on sunday was slow and we did have to send our hot good back as eggs were hard but chef was very apologetic and we got back perfect eggs!!! Our only negative!! We will stay at Pelham House again!

• Stayed: October 2012

Thank you for your feedback, I am very happy to hear that we were able to give you ‘just what your wanted’ during your recent stay with us at Pelham House. We aim to create a relaxed and cosy atmosphere for all our guests so it gives me pleasure to hear that the candle lit lounge and bedroom turn down service added those special touches to make your stay all the more enjoyable.
Sunday breakfast service is always the busiest however, this should never compromise our standards and so I sincerely apologise for the slow service that you experienced but am happy that we were able to rectify this for you quickly.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back.
All the best
Paul Morgan, General Manager and all Team at Pelham House.

Reviewed 28 October 2012

My son and his wife got married at this Hotel this Saturday.It was overall a joyful experience.The wedding plans went entirely to plan and it was planned and executed in 4 weeks.
The staff at the hotel couldn't do enough for us and Mark who had overall charge of the wedding on the day was brilliant.The registrar who conducted the wedding was really great. It made it a very special ceremony. Both the Panelled room where they got married and also the Chamber where the reception was held are beautiful rooms.The additional decoration provided by the hotel enhanced their beauty. Pelham House which I assume was originally a private country house is overall a very beautiful hotel and all the guest rooms are individual and very attractively decorated.The Bridal suite is especially sumptious.
We stayed overnight and found the bed to be very comfortable.The bathroom is modern and they provided very nice complimentary toiletries and tea and coffee making facilities .The breakfast which was included in the room rate had an extensive choice of both continental and cooked breakfast and was beautifully presented and cooked.
It was indeed a great place to hold a classy wedding.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2012

I was due to stay here 23/10/12. On arrival I was asked if I had 'booked' a parking space...I hadn't as my company had booked the hotel and having travelled up & down the country for many years it has been my experience that you tend not to have to book a parking space at a hotel with a car park. I was then informed that they could squeeze my car in but I would have to pay £6.50 to park overnight. I presume they think they can get away with this little scam. I went to my room and phoned The Shellys (just round the corner) booked a room there and returned to the reception & booked out. I have given the hotel a 'poor' marking for this reason. To be fair, my room and the hotel looked pretty decent and I'm sure I would have enjoyed my stay in other circumstances...I am just not going to be ripped off.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Paul C
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide these comments and I am sorry to hear of your disspointment with your recent stay. We have contacted you directly to offer a personal apology and to try and recify the situation. Please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel should you not receive this or wish to discuss the matter further.

Kind Regards
Paul Morgan, General Manager

Reviewed 22 October 2012

We stayed at the hotel for one night in October, whilst visting Lewes for a friend's birthday party. We ate lunch in the hotel upon arrival, but not in the evening.

Overall impression of the hotel was very good. It is a beautiful building. The dining area we had lunch in was perfectly fine, although we noticed that there was another very attractive room which we presume is used for evening dining, and if we went again I think we would try to eat in that dining room. The bar was small but perfectly adequate.

Lunch was good, although they did get my drink wrong initially (the waiter dealt with this very quickly and professionally) and I made a special request about my pudding which was not dealt with, which was a bit of shame. Despite this, a very pleasant lunch and the starters in particular were very good.

We took breakfast in our room the next morning. It was a bit of a challenge given the room size (see below) but we were very impressed with the quality. Often, if you take room service breakfast, it turns up soggy and/or cold, but the breakfast we had seemed hot, fresh and just right (even the poached egg!).

The main downside to our stay was the size of the room. We booked a standard double and it was TINY. The bathroom was also very small indeed, with only a shower and not a bath (in fairness the hotel website does say "bath or shower"). It did not matter too much to us as we were staying only one night, but the room would not be suitable for longer stays. In particular, the wardrobe was only big enough to take a small amount of items, and there was no other space (e.g. drawers) in which other items could be stored. The room did have a TV, but this is very small, so if your hotel stay involves laying in bad to watch a film, it is not really suitable. If you are planning on staying for more than one night, you would definitely need to book a bigger room.

Our room was also very noisy, from both inside and outside the hotel (it was a necessity to have the window open a crack as the room was so hot). People in the corridor sounded like they were in the room, and the next bedroom's door was so close it was difficult to tell if someone was knocking on their door or yours. I also found the bed quite hard, so neither of us got a good night's sleep.

We had left it too late to book a car park space at the hotel, so had to park in the railway station car park. It is very close, but the walk to the hotel is uphill, so when choosing your overnight case you might want to pick the one with wheels!

Despite the failings of the room, I still rate the hotel as four stars because overall it is a beautiful place, and the staff were very friendly and professional.

Room Tip: Don't go for a standard double if you are staying more than one night - too small.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jomajo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
The Shelleys
Horsted Place
Horsted Place
#2 of 2 in Little Horsted
Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa

Been to Pelham House Hotel? Share your experiences!