“A wonderful experience”
Review of Pelham House

Pelham House
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Lewes
Reviewed 16 February 2013

This was our second visit to Pelham House and we were not disappointed. We had a large double room on the first floor overlooking the garden with a huge bathroom. The dinner in the evening was excellent as was the service which was both attentive and efficient. Throughout our stay we had wonderful food and we are planning to go back with friends for lunch in the near future. Our thanks go to the chef and the staff throughout the hotel for making us feel so welcome and making our short stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

One the best feelings for the hotel staff is welcoming back returning guests and it is always a pleasure to hear of these visits so I thank you for taking the time to write this lovely review.
I have passed on your thanks to all the staff including our Head Chef and his team.
We look forward to welcoming you back again, whether it is another getaway or a spot of lunch with friends.
Kindest Regards
Paul Morgan, General Manager and The Team at Pelham House

Reviewed 7 February 2013

We needed accommodation at the last moment. A phone call and we were booked in, then on arriving it was slick and no problems. Straight to a lovely room, warm and excellent double shower that was hot. Big bed, clean, slept for years. And great breakfast. We chose to sample the local pubs rather than in house, and the bar was very busy in any case. Parked in their car park in the snow and on trying to go the gent doing the salting was so helpful. Will return.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

I am very happy to hear that you were pleasantly surprised with your recent stay at Pelham House.
All of our guests are incredibly important to us - Whether it is a family holiday that has been planned for months, or a last minute reservation like yours, we aim to provide a smooth, friendly and professional service at all times and so I am happy to hear that you found this to be true!
It is a shame that you did not get a chance to sample our menu but I am certain you had a wonderful evening out as there are plenty of fantastic local pubs in the area as I am sure you discovered.
We look forward to your return visit.
Many Thanks again for this kind review.
Warm Regards
Paul Morgan, General Manager and all of the Team

Reviewed 3 February 2013

A great hotel in central Lewes with lots of character.
Stayed in a lovely ground floor room across the car park. Need to book car parking prior to your visit since the car park is small. Room service was rather slow.

Based in central Lewes, this is a great place to stay.

1  Thank Kanga90

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to provide these comments.
Feedback, both good and bad, is essential to our improvement of the hotel and so that we know where we need to focus on.
I am happy to hear that your enjoyed you stay but would like to apologise for the slow room service (I do hope you enjoyed the meal)
We hope you will return to Pelham House for a stay again in the future.
Warm Regards
Paul Morgan, General Manager

Reviewed 27 January 2013

My partner and I stayed at Pelham House on a Friday evening and were impressed with the hotel overall. Lewes is a beautiful setting and the interior of the hotel is very grand and full of character.

I would recommend booking a car parking space before you arrive as when we arrived the car park was full and some people who hadn't booked had to make other arrangements.

Our room (9) was huge with a massive bed with Egyptian cotton sheets. It had a lot of quirky original features which made this hotel unique. If I was being picky I'd say that they could do with investing in a flat screen TV for the room, the old school cathode TV set seemed a little out of place and some room scenting would also be good as our room smelt a little musty!

We had dinner in the restaurant which was excellent value and the waiters were all really friendly. We hadn't realised that breakfast finished at 10 on the Saturday(bit early for a weekend)! We came down at 10:20 and asked if there was anything we could have. the staff were really accommodating and let us help ourselves to the continental breakfast which was still out and they brought us toast and coffee.

The general manager was really lovely too.

I would definitely recommend this hotel if you're visiting the lovely town of Lewes.

Room Tip: Room 9 was big and had a nice view out of the front window of the hotel (shower only in the bathroom...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
PelhamHouseLewes, Reception Supervisor at Pelham House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

First of all let me say that this review has made our General Manager’s day! But we are all delighted to hear that your enjoyed your stay with us. I am especially happy to hear that you appreciated the quirky features and unique aspects of the building which certainly do give the hotel it’s character.
Your feedback on the T.V is much appreciated and I am happy to be able to tell you that we have recently purchased flat screen T.V’s for all the rooms and are in the process of installing them.
I am sorry to hear that you missed breakfast but happy that we were able to accommodate you. Our timings are set in order to provide the best service possible and to ensure that this kitchen has time to turn around for lunch. However, I take your point on board entirely and will raise this with the kitchen and restaurant.
I hope you will visit us again and look forward to welcoming you back.
Best Wishes

Reviewed 23 January 2013

Stayed here 23rd December with my husband. This is a really lovely hotel, lovely character with flagstone flooring panelled dining room and high ceiling bedrooms.Stayed in room 5 which didnt have a bath but was still lovely. Walking distance to the train station. Had fab food in the restaurant and the breakfast was also v nice. If you're interested in art, they do displays of local artists prints and paintings all over the hotel. There is a lovely garden where you can have lunch, especially nice in the summer time. It is a nice quiet hotel and just down the road there are public gardens(free entry) with a tranquility garden where you can relax and have a picnic in-as nice as some gardens that you have to pay to get into. Will def be back.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your lovely review.
I am delighted to hear that you had a pleasurable stay and hope it made the perfect getaway before the Christmas and New Years rush.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future – perhaps over summer when the gardens are truly stunning and you can enjoy you lunch on the terrace in the sunshine.
Many Thanks again

Reviewed 16 January 2013

Firstly, Lewes, the historic town where Pelham House is located is something very special in my opinion. It is in eclectic mix of traditional Sussex life, fascinating history, interesting people and an arty and vibrant backdrop. And Pelham House, a stunning 16th century town house is perfectly situated right in the middle of it, a stones thrown from both the well connected railway station and the main High Street.

I actually took advantage of a promotion and got a special deal on the 'superior room, 3-course meal and breakfast for two and without disclosing the specifics, that represent very, very good value for money. The only date we could make the superior rooms were not available so I paid to upgrade to their Executive (Best) Room.

We were advised parking was available but that it could be tricky so we opted to park on the street and charges are unjustifiably high in Lewes so that in hindsight i'd have paid the £6 or so to park on the forecourt. Check in was very good and first impressions of the room were good too. It was a very traditional room with various original features and the decor was pleasant enough with a large comfortable bed. The bathroom was nice too although showing a few signs of wear.

I was surprised to see an old style TV too, not that we even turned it on but the cost of a flat screen TV is so minimal these days it's hard to fathom how a hotel's best room could not be worth the investment. It was also very dusty under the main desk unit and radiator owing the the floorboards and a clear area missed by the hoovers. But overall it has character and this made up for the shortcomings.

Dinner was fantastic, the food easily compared with any of the better restaurants in nearby Brighton and it was well worth the £25 offer they have on for 3 courses. We were made to feel comfortable and at home by the waitress, allowed to pick a table and the food was delicious, the wine was equally good. The £3 supplement for the local cheese board was also money well invested in my opinion.

After dinner we went to the bar area where they have a decent cocktail menu and I ordered a Cosmopolitan which was well made indeed. You can also order a good menu from the bar area should you prefer a more casual dining experience. I must confess there was a slightly grumpy man on some form of duty that night between bar and restaurant but his apparent mood wasn't bad enough to spoil ours!

The sleeping was not so great because the room was so hot. We turned the old fashioned radiator off but it seemed to stay on and even with the Window half open in the middle of Winter the room was still hot. Breakfast was absolutely excellent both in terms of service and food. The Eggs Benedict was sublime, good coffee and plenty of nice toast too. Anyway, checkout was easy but having left in a rush owing to the street parking situation I hadn't noticed that i'd overpaid on the bill. However, in fairness to the Hotel, when I contacted them it was immediately refunded.

Overall I wanted to absolutely fall in love with the Hotel as it's stunning and Lewes is amazing, I didn't fall in love with all of it but the food and the setting are great and i'd definitely go back to eat. I also think it would be a lovely setting for a wedding.

I would definitely return to the Hotel to eat and probably stay too. If you are visiting Lewes, it's a great place to stay.

1  Thank Josactually

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide these comments. Guest feedback is of upmost importance to us and so we very much appreciate this review of your recent stay.
I am first of all delighted to hear that you too were charmed by our little Lewes town. Your poignant description highlights what I love about Lewes so I very much enjoyed reading this.
I am happy to hear that you found the offer to be of good value - we run various promotions throughout the year and often rerun those which receive good feedback so this is good to know. I am however, sorry to hear of the shortcomings that you found with the room and I can assure you that we take such comments on board entirely and I will look into the issues raised. I am particularly saddened to hear that your night’s sleep was disturbed by the temperature of the room and I offer my most sincere apologies for this.
I will be sure to pass your comments on to the staff – especially the restaurant, who will be thrilled to hear of your enjoyment at both dinner and breakfast.
I very much hope that you will return to Pelham House again in the future as I would very much like to opportunity to welcome you back and perhaps even sway you to fall in love with the hotel on your next visit.
Once again, thank you for your feedback.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 6 January 2013

I must admit that I was expecting a great deal from the New Year’s Eve package offered by Pelham House. The cost per night of bed breakfast and evening meal on the 30th and 31st Dec was rather beyond anything I would generally consider even for a special occasion but with the 3rd night offered more cheaply it was still expensive but a bit more acceptable for a festive treat - at £680 for 3 nights in a nice room, 2 gourmet dinners (one with canapés and a glass of fizzy) and 3 breakfasts for 2 people. Check in time at 3pm seemed late but earlier costs extra as does parking on the premises (even if any is available – as it was not when I booked 2 months before our stay
Here's what I thought:
Plus points:
o Excellent food! My favourites: the pigeon breast with pickled shallots, pork loin with mini tarte tatin, Hot chocolate fondant with salt caramel inside and mocha icecream on top
o A huge comfortable bed with a great view.
o Friendly bar staff
o Helpful staff when I sought their help after vandalism to my car (see below)
o Great location for exploring Lewes and walking the South Downs
Quibbles
o There were at least 2 weddings at the hotel during our 3 night stay. These guests sometimes were significantly overwhelming (as at breakfast one morning, when their conversation could not be ignored).
o The upholstery of the chairs in the dining room used to be beige suede but most are now extensively stained by their previous occupants.
o The hotel has very restricted parking and so if you don’t arrive by public transport, you have to leave your car elsewhere and feed meters. Mine was left in the British rail car park at a cost of £5.30 a day and was vandalised therein.
o The price tag suggested luxury but this wasn’t quite there for us: our room wasn’t ready when we arrived, a plug was missing in our bath, the bathroom products were disappointingly ordinary, our room wasn’t serviced until after 4pm one day, the TV was old and scarred , we had an iron to press our clothes but no board.
o Perhaps most importantly of all, although this is a moderately small and independent hotel, I felt the staff had no interest in me as their guest and although we were given a card on our departure offering us a cut rate deal if we chose to return in the next month or so, I shan’t be rushing back

Room Tip: Room like ours on the south side would have views towards the downs
2  Thank ChrisArmstrong
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
The Shelleys
#2 of 2 in Little Horsted
The Grand Brighton
The Grand Brighton
#10 of 43 in Brighton

Been to Pelham House? Share your experiences!