Pelham House Hotel
US$93
US$174
US$167
Priceline
Premier Inn Lewes Town Centre(Lewes)(Great Value!)
US$112
US$171
Horsted Place(Little Horsted)
US$211
Travelocity
East Sussex National(Little Horsted)
US$166
  • Pool
The Bull(Ditchling)
TripAdvisor
1,088 results
All reviewsexecutive roompanelled dining roombubble and squeakparking spacehigh streetbridal suiteeggs benedictsouth downswine liststreet parkinglovely gardenfull englishthe main houseshower roomsalmonlarge roomcentre of town
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Ever felt under pressure to find a new restaurant to take the hot girlfriend and were afraid that she would get dressed up only to find that the restaurant was the equivalent of a truckers greasy spoon?!? Well I have and I booked the Pelham House Restaurant with fingers crossed.

I needn't of worried - she looked great and to my delight we were greeted on arrival and shown to a nice table in a very lovely dining room - this place looks impressive and the service and food matches those first impressions.

A reasonably priced 3 course meal and a bottle of wine later the evening had been a success and I have no doubt that we will come back here again.

So, if you are looking for a classy restaurant, good food, good service and in my case a hot girlfriend, I would strongly recommend a visit to Pelham House.

1  Thank The_Greedy_Fox
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Like other people on TA we also visited this hotel on a Living Social promo. We stayed in room 6, a dual aspect, twin room overlooking the garden. The hotel is perfectly located for visiting Lewes, in a quiet side road off the High Street. It is in easy (uphill!) walking distance of the station which has regular and frequent trains to London and the South Coast. Our room was tastefully decorated - the hotel has oak floors throughout - and had a large cupboard suitable for hanging items; there was no drawer space. There was an iron & board and hairdryer provided, along with a kettle, cups and a selection of teas, coffees, hot chocolate, bottled water and biscuits. On our first night we were also given a mini box of truffles which was a nice touch and were offered a turn-down service. The beds were comfortable and the room was a good temperaure (it was a very cold weekend) but the windows were openable which meant that we were able to ensure a perfect temperature throughout our stay. The bathroom was small and had no window but was perfectly adequate, containing a bath, shower, sink and loo and toiletries. There was only just enough space for our own toiletries but this was a very minor niggle. Check-in was courteous, efficient and friendly. The car park is very small and we had to park in the station car park on our first night; we were also charged £6 to use the hotel car park for 24 hours. Breakfast was excellent, with lovely artisan bread, pastries, cereals, fresh fruit, yoghourts and kippers and full English as choices, as well as perfectly cooked eggs, any way you can imagine. We also had dinner in the restaurant which was good quality and a fair price.
My only negative point is the housekeeping: the grouting in the bathroom was mouldy and there was body-fat trace on the tiles - this only comes from a build up and demonstrates a lack of proper cleaning - a steam clean would remove that in seconds. The same applies to the loo - under the rim was very dirty and had clearly not been tackled at all. The floor under the radiator in the bedroom was not easily accessible and therefore had also not been dusted/mopped. Our towels were left where we had left them and the room still hadn't been cleaned at 3pm. At a normal price of£180 - £240 a night (hotels in Lewes and Rye charge exorbitant prices because of where they are) I do expect perfect housekeeping and this wasn't it. However, the hotel is lovely and I would recommend you try it....

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the garden have no traffic noise at all and have a lovely view of the South Downs
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gumweed
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2013

I am very happy that you have taken the time to write this review of Pelham House and would like to thank you for your comments.
I am delighted to hear that you had a pleasurable stay and were able to enjoy all that Pelham House has to offer.
It saddens me however to hear of the housekeeping issues that have been raised. At Pelham House we aim to provide outstanding service and part of this, of course, is to ensure that the bedrooms are clean, fresh and well preserved to offer our guest as comfortable a stay as possible. I therefore, regret to hear you found that particular areas of the room were not kept to our usual standards. I will personally look into this issues raised and ensure that the lovely housekeeping team carry out a deep clean of this room.
I apologise again for this and I hope it did not inflict too much on the enjoyment of your visit.
We would be honoured to welcome you back to Pelham House again in the future and I hope you will choose to visit us again.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Lovely hotel in a good location. My room was excellent just across the courtyard from the reception area. Fantastic shower and very comfortable bed with very nice bed linen.

The only down side was a burger I had in the bar area which whilst nicely presented, the meat was tough and the bun tasted like it had been frozen then microwaved.

Breakfast was lovely with good coffee.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Paulride

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments.
I am very happy to hear that your enjoyed your stay and found your bedroom to be comfortable.
I am very sorry however, that you were disappointed with your burger. We are very passionate about food at Pelham House and I apologise that on this occasion the food did not meet our usual standards. I will be certain to ensure that the kitchen and restaurant team are made aware of this.
I hope that you will visit us again in the future.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 24 February 2013

We had sunday lunch here the starters and 2 different roasts were delicious, generous and well cooked. The menu was large enough for a decent choice without feeling it came from the freezer. the puddings were okay but avoid trifle which suffered from too much gelatine and too cold. Wine was good plenty of choice by glass and bottle. Waiters helpful and keen if slightly chaotic. Dining room was pleasant but tablecloths would be nice as the wooden tables clash with the burgundy walls ( this is just being picky!) Had a great time.

Reviewed 24 February 2013

This is the 2nd time we have stayed at this hotel with a Living Social voucher and we thought it was excellent value for money. We stayed in room 4 both times which has a 4 poster bed with quality furnishings, chocolates on the pillow and a selection of tea, coffees, hot chocolate and biscuits. The bathroom is accessed through a short passageway with a free standing bath in the middle of the room and double width shower cubicle. The bar is low key with a relaxed atmosphere. Breakfast was served in the restaurant with a good selection of fruits and cereals, followed by a coked breakfast includingfull English, smoked salmon or eggs benedict. Although we visited in February, the grounds still looked lovely and I am sure they are beautiful in the summer. Well worth a visit and Lewes has a lot to offer too.

Room Tip: I would ask for one of their executive rooms such as room 4.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lorayne_hagan

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed both of your stays at Pelham House and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for this lovely review.
I must agree that the living social offer is great value and we have been overwhelmed by the brilliant feedback we have received!
Room 4 is a beautiful room and I am very happy that you had the opportunity for enjoy its stunning views and gorgeous bathroom on both occasions as it is the perfect boudoir for a romantic getaway!
We run numerous offers throughout the year, both direct with the hotel and on various sites such as living social, so please do not hesitate to contact our reservations department at any time if you wish to stay again as they will be happy to inform you of any current or upcoming offers.
We hope to welcome you back for a third stay very soon!
Many Thanks again