“Character hotel in Lewes”
Review of Pelham House Hotel

Pelham House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Lewes
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Down in Lewes for a 60th and wanting to explore the area, we settled on Pelham House for 2 nights and one evening meal. Couldn't have chosen better. Lovely old place, lots of friendly staff, big on character, decent sized garden. Had evening meal which was excellent, not too pricey so we spent the rest our budget on the wine. Breakfast is a quality act. Worth noting, staff very friendly so when you ask where to walk, they bring out a guide book and print off maps and stuff for no charge. There was the inevitable wedding but the place is big enough to make this an interesting sideshow rather than a major irritation. Parking is very limited but the station is just a few minutes walk away so you can park in the station car parks. I'd stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Thank you for such a complimentary review of your time spent with us.
I'm so very glad that you enjoyed the food, wine, breakfast and the friendly service.

We work hard as a team to deliver service with a smile so I'm pleased that you found this as
` Worth noting '

Thanks again and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Pelham House

Write a ReviewReviews (1,061)

Reviewed 31 May 2013

We stayed at Pelham House for three nights while helping my elderly father-in-law to clear his house. While not looking for a holiday we found that the care and attention of the staff were extremely helpful at a difficult time.
I would definitely recommend the hotel and hope to go back for a more relaxing break! The room was comfortable and clean, the daily housekeeping was done to a very high standard and the bed was comfortable. The blind was thick enough to make the room beautifully dark in the short nights. The hotel itself is a lovely building, it must have been a splendid private house at one time and is stylishly decorated with local works of art. It couldn't be more central to this attractive town, the only problem would be if you couldn't manage the hills within Lewes.
The breakfast was awesome! No other word to describe it. Lots of choice, plenty to eat, fabulous coffee and a stunning choice of beautifully cooked hot breakfasts.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

What a delightful review of our hotel, I am really pleased that the team looked after you with so much care and attention and they made a difficult time for you a little easier.

An awesome breakfast and comfortable bedroom certainly makes any day a brighter day and I really hope you manage another visit in the future with more time to explore the hotels facilities and the towns hidden treasures.

Thank you once again for such nice feedback, I will ensure all of the team are informed.

General manager

Reviewed 30 May 2013

This hotel is located in the centre of town close to the Norman Castle and is convenient for exploring the interesting old buildings and streets of Lewes. Our room, in the main building, was quite small but stylish. The staff were friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the food at dinner and breakfast. We hope to visit again soon.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for such a nice review of our hotel.
I will communicate your positive comments particularly the friendly and helpful staff to all of the team.
I'm really pleased you enjoyed your dinner and breakfast and will ensure the kitchen team are thanked.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Pelham House in the future.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Friendly and helpful staff. (Offered to help us take luggage to room).Well-appointed room. Comfortable bed. Delicious breakfast (particularly recommend the dried fruit compote). What more could you ask?
Cannot comment on value as we were guests.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for a great review of your recent stay with us.
Friendly and helpful staff is key to our service standard and I'm very pleased that this is what you experienced during your stay.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

Went here on a Monday evening with a Travelzoo voucher, restaurant was pretty full, I assume with voucher diners as was getting close to the expiry date!

We were politely greeted and shown into the bar area for a drink and to choose our food. Nice relaxing atmosphere, although after a while the waitress did seem anxious to move us through to our table!

Restaurant is divided into a few rooms with impressive oak panelling and a nice view of the garden.

All 3 courses were delicious, had a very nice Mexican red wine & they have draft Harveys (as you'd expect in Lewes), my favourite bitter! Portion sizes are ok but not generous.

Atmosphere is of a fine dining establishment and while we were on a voucher, 2 & 3 course prices are reasonable. Wines are on pricey side, but that's because they're good.

You are unlikely to be able to park at the hotel, we managed to park nearby but Lewes parking can be an issue.

Overall, for a special meal or occasion I would definitely recommend.

Reviewed 25 May 2013

The staff here were unfailingly helpful and friendly. Maybe that is why funeral parties seem to be a speciality here; we arrived with one and it was the same the last time our friends stayed here. Our ground floor room was in a converted garage across the car park from the main entrance. Consequently, all arrivals and departures were able to see directly into our room. It was like being in a fish tank. Moreover, deliveries to the hotel at 3 o'clock in the morning are undertaken by drivers who like to leave their engine running for the 10 minutes they are directly outside the room and who have a van that requires each door to be slammed twice; it makes sleep difficult. Negotiating the car park early in the morning to get to breakfast also proved to be hazardous; another deliveryman was of the opinion that it was my wife's fault for being behind the van at the moment he chose to reverse. She narrowly escaped injury but did not escape invective from the driver. In order to leave I had to go back to our room to retrieve the receipt from the waste paper bin to prove to the man on checkout that I had indeed paid the day before. Nice breakfast.

Room Tip: Avoid the "annex" (garage) rooms
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank profiwb
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2013

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review and for your lovely comments on the staff – this means the world to both me and the team.

I am however, very disappointed to hear that the room did not meet up to your expectations and can not apologise enough for the disturbance of the deliveries and the attitude of the driver as you describe. This is completely unacceptable and I am aggrieved to hear of it. I can assure you that I have spoken with all our delivery companies to ensure that this will not happen again.

I very much hope that despite this experience you will consider returning to Pelham House again so that we would have the opportunity to turn this around and give you a wonderful evening with us in the future. If you do choose to visit us again please contact our reservations team directly at the hotel who will be happy to ensure that you are reserved a room in the main house.

Kindest Regards
Paul Morgan, General Manager

Reviewed 22 May 2013

I had originally planned to go to Shelleys but switched to Pelham because they start breakfast at 7.00 and I needed to leave by 7.30. It is a slightly unusual hotel having been the Town Hall in an earlier life. My room was a decent size with a view over the gardens. Internet worked well, I had a very nice breakfast and got to my meeting on time. Job done

Room Tip: Room 11 is a decent size.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

I am very pleased to hear that we were able to offer you an enjoyable nights stay at Pelham House. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, of course, so I completely understand why you changed hotels and am very glad that we had the opportunity to welcome you to our lovely house.

Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again next time you are in town.

Kind Regards
Paul Morgan, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
The Shelleys
#2 of 43 in Brighton
Blanch House
Blanch House
#1 of 43 in Brighton

Been to Pelham House Hotel? Share your experiences!