“Return visit”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Lewes
Millersburg, Pennsylvania
“Return visit”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stayed at Pelham House last November 2012 for a wedding and Bonfire and loved it! We have already made reservations for April 2013. The atmosphere was friendly and welcoming. The food was outstanding and served beautifully. Rooms were well furnished and clean. Perfectly located a block from High Street, Looking forward to our next stay.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
I am very happy to hear that your enjoyed your stay with us over bonfire night in Lewes. It truly is sensational event and I am glad that you choose to stay at Pelham House
We look forward to welcoming you back for your return visit.
If there is anything we can do to make your next stay as comfortable as possible please do not hesitate to contact our reservations team who will be happy to help!
Paul Morgan, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Finnish first
Wendover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

The welcome was friendly and I had a room in the building opposite the main entrance - so across the car park. The room was warm and sootless, an old room with modern decoration, but cosy and had everything that could be needed. I dined in the bar and the staff were attentive and friendly. The food was very good. The gardens looked beautiful. Breakfast was excellent and the service, again, was very friendly. Nothing was too much trouble and, as a single guest, I felt well looked after. Car parking has to be booked and I had no problems with that. It is good to stay in a place that has personality and charm. I got a good deal on the room - my feeling is that it is quite pricey otherwise.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sara D
Many thanks for this kind review.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and felt looked after by the staff.
‘Personality and friendliness’ is exactly what we aim for here at Pelham House so reading this had put a smile on my face.
We hope to see you again!
Hexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2013

So there was a major conference in Brighton, but when I saw my company's invoice I thought that was the rate for all three nights - I guessed that £90 night was reasonable. I was utterly horrified to see they wanted £270 a night!! Now for that, irrespective of what is on elsewhere in the world, I'd expect very high standards, the Pelham fails on that score, and badly.

The first room (an exec room) I declined, a double bed should be just that, and not two single mattresses pushed together. The alternative was over the courtyard and up some grubby stairs into a pretty large room. That was the best bit, the bed was one of those fold down from a wall mounted unit types.. I guess the room was used for meetings or whatever. It didn't really work as a bedroom, the tv was at such an angle to the bed it was hard to view, bedside lights were blocked by the frame for bed, there were two sofas, nice, but they seems to be there to fill the space rather than part of a well thought out room. Oh and the windows are on their last legs so it's noisy as well.

Breakfast was decent however, service also reasonable, but public areas and the carpets in particular really showed their age.

All in all, I guess if you get it at a third of the rate I paid then it's ok. At the rate I paid, it is utterly outrageous and I just felt completely ripped off.

I never ever go back to hotels that I feel rip me off. I cannot recommend them to anybody else either.

Room Tip: Check the bed before you confirm your room!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank FamilyH68
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on Pelham House.
I am saddened to hear how unsatisfied you were with your stay at Pelham House.
It is with feedback such as yours that we are able to identify the areas within the hotel that require attention and so I thank you for your comments. I am pleased to be able to inform you that since your stay we have ordered a new bed for the room and we have also replaced the carpets in the mews building.
With regards to the room rate I am sincerely sorry that you felt the price to be unreasonably high. We regularly review our rates in comparison to other local hotels of the same quality. However, I appreciate your comments on this and will raise the points with our reservations and revenue manager.
If you do return to the area again I hope you will reconsider staying with us again and we would welcome to opportunity to turn around you first impression of the hotel.
Paul Morgan, General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Lewes hotels

Reviewed 10 October 2013

We really enjoyed our night here. The hotel looks lovely, the staff were great and the food was fantastic. Dinner was beautiful and the breakfast was just amazing! We stayed in the accessible room which was great for me as I'm disabled. It is a short walk across the car park which does make it a little less accessible than it would be in the hotel but it isn't far to go. The seat for the shower was a bit 'hospital' but at least it was there! Finally, it would have been great if the parking space outside the room had been saved for me as I'm disabled and also free for disabled guests. But I would happily go back again - we really loved it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to provide you feedback.
I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found that the room was adequate for your needs.
I would like to thank you especially for your comments and suggestions on certain aspects on the room. This type of constructive feedback is greatly appreciated and is of up most importance to our help us with our continuing improvements of the hotel and its facilities. I will be sure to review these features of the room in light of your review.
Likewise, your comments on the car parking are very well received and I will be sure to discuss this with the Reception Manager.
We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future.
Kindest Regards,
Thanet, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We planned to stay here for one night during an extended trip through UK. The hotel is beautiful...lovely walled and terraced gardens where we drank tea on arrival,and it is right in the middle of Lewes.
We had a great meal in the restaurant, the food was extremely good, the service was exceptional and the ambiance lovely. We retired to bed early after a long drive. Unfortunately, and through no fault of the hotel there was a rather urgent plumbing problem, leading to us having to vacate our room very quickly!. The duty manager could not have been more helpful or apologetic. Due to the hotel being completely full there was no other room available...however within 15 minutes he had organised alternative accomodation at another nearby, and excellent local hotel, organised us a taxi, given us drinks in the bar while we waited and helped us move our luggage!! They refused to charge us for this and the wonderful meal we had eaten...so in what could have been a very difficult situation the hotel proved exemplairy service, kindness, and efficient management through a tricky situation. Hats off to them for being so very professional, and thank you Pelham House :-) We wont forget you.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Lynn,
Thank you for this lovely review.
We remember that unfortunate issue very well here and will not forget you either!
I am very pleased to hear how professionally and quickly the staff were able to deal with the issue and I thank you sincerely for your kind words and understanding.
It is a real shame however, that you were unable to enjoy a full stay at Pelham House and so I sincerely hope you will come back to visit us again!
Many thanks again and we wish you all the best,
Paul Morgan, General Manager and the team
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

On booking Pelham House I was told that there was no parking available, however as soon as we arrived we were told that we could park in the hotel courtyard so a good start. We checked in and were given the keys to room 32. We dropped our bags off and went out exploring Lewes. On our return we went back to the room and noticed that the bed was a fold up. Having booked a superior room, whilst it was very big we were slightly surprised by this. I went to reception and spoke to Olivia who was very helpful and she offered to show me room 8 (the only room they had left) it was smaller but had a proper bed, in the main hotel and garden views. Certain aspects of the room were a bit tired, but it was a perfectly comfortable room with a good shower. We decided to eat in the hotels restaurant for the evening and again the staff were very helpful despite being very busy. We had some drinks in the bar before our meal and again service was great. On checking out, the duty manager made sure we were given our meal on the house to make up the price difference of the room swap and inconvenience, so left happy. Would definitely stay again but not in room 32 until the bed is changed. Thank you.

Dear Nick,
Many thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback on Pelham House.
First of all I am delighted to hear the positive comments on our staff. Customer service is, of course, our number one priority, and so it pleases me to hear that you were so well looked after during you stay. I will be sure to pass your praise on to the team.
I would like to apologise however, for your initial disappointment with room number 32. I am happy to be able to let you know that, in light of your feedback, along with others, we have now ordered a new bed for this room.
I hope that you will visit us again in the future.
Dorset
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Parking has to be booked but we were not aware of this. Friendly staff sorted this, but no mention of the charge until settling the bill. The room was cramped, in a converted stable/garage area and isolated from the main hotel - not great when pouring with rain, access via the car park. This reduced the ambience. The room was over priced and the pillows were small and poor quality.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay.
Being centrally located in a historic town, our car park is indeed very limited. We therefore, make every effort to inform guests of this prior to arrival to allow you the opportunity to reserve a space or alternatively to provide information on the nearby alternatives. I therefore, apologise sincerely that you were not aware of this in advance but am glad to hear that the staff were able to rectify this in a friendly and professional manner.
With regards to the room, I am again very sorry to hear of your disappointment. Our rooms are spread between the main house and mews building and we work hard to ensure that all the rooms are as comfortable as possible. I sincerely appreciate your comments as it is feedback like this which allows us to continually improve.
Should you be in the area in the future I hope you will consider visiting Pelham House again. We strive to honour all requests and so should you prefer to stay in the main building on your next stay please feel free to contact our reservations team directly who will be more than happy to assist.
Paul Morgan, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
The Shelleys
Deans Place, Country Hotel and Restaurant
East Sussex National
East Sussex National
#1 of 2 in Little Horsted

Been to Pelham House? Share your experiences!