“Fantastic wedding venue”
Review of Pelham House Hotel

Pelham House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Lewes
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We very recently had our wedding at Pelham House (December 2013) and cannot recommend the venue highly enough. All the staff made my whole family feel special and were extremely attentive when organizing the event.

On the day the food was lovely, everything ran smoothly and the room looked beautiful.

The rooms are lovely to stay in after the wedding and the breakfast the next morning with other wedding guests is a lovely finishing touch.

The hotel is beautiful and even though the wedding was quite formal, Pelham House has a comfortable, friendly feel to it that made our guests feel completely relaxed.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank The T
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

I am delighted to read this review and to hear that we were able to help make your special day!
Myself, and the team at Pelham House wish you all the happiness for the future.
Best regards
Paul Morgan, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,065)

Reviewed 15 December 2013

A wonderful 16th century hotel in the centre of Lewes. If you like old and grande, then this is the place. I went with a large group of friends for a Christmas bash. The food was top quality, in a quality environment. My only criticism is the noise. My room (Room1) had the air conditioning units for the kitchens outside my bedroom window. They were off when I arrived, but off when I went to sleep. At 6.30am I was awakened when they came on. They sounded like a car running outside the room. Being an old 16th century building it had lots of wooden floors and wooden panelling. People walking up the stairs kept me awake until the early hours, so all in all a long night. If you make sure you ask for a quiet room then you should have no problems. Amazing staff and an amazing place to stay.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room away from the kitchen air conditioning units and noisy staircases.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Wilkybob
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
We are extremely happy to hear that you enjoyed your Christmas party and felt well looked after by our staff.
I am however, saddened to hear that you were disturbed by noise in the room and I will be sure to look into the point raised to avoid issue in the future.
I am glad however, that this didn’t impact on your enjoyment of the evening and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 13 December 2013

Our firm (12 of us) had our pre Christmas afternoon tea at Pelham House on 12 December. It was outstanding, the Hotel is beautifully decorated and the staff were very helpful. The food was delicious and they catered well for dietary requirements. The only problem was we could not eat it all! Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

What a beautiful hotel situated just off the main road through Lewes. We stayed in room 4 which was absolutely amazing - the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was amazing with a huge bath. We ate downstairs in the hotel restaurant and the food was beautiful. Staff were all pleasant and friendly especially the reception staff and breakfast staff. I would highly recommend this hotel and if I am ever in the area again I will definitely stay again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Thank you for this lovely review.
It gives me great pleasure to hear how thoroughly you enjoyed your stay. Room 4 is a beautiful room and I am glad you found it to be comfortable and charming.
We look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit!
Best Wishes,

Reviewed 8 December 2013

We recently got married at Pelham House (November 2013) and cannot recommend Pelham House highly enough. We know how important your wedding day is so we wouldn't make a recommendation lightly. The venue really is stunning but what really makes Pelham House the perfect wedding venue is the amazing customer service we received from start to finish. Pelham House made us feel very special and really looked after us, their organisation was fantastic and we didn't have to worry about a thing. Nothing you ask for is too much trouble and the staff are genuinely happy to do everything they can for you. Every single member of staff we came across was welcoming, friendly and efficient and the staff treat you like friends rather than customers. All of our guests were outstanded with the beauty of the venue and it is especially ideal for a winter style theme, the rooms, food and grounds are all beautiful and we do not have one single complaint or grumble. My bridesmaids and I stayed the night before and had a fantastic experience from the moment we got there; we had a beautiful large room for us all to get ready with and were greeted with a warm welcome and champagne. If you are considering getting married in the South East area, you must at least go along to a Wedding open day and see what Pelham House has to offer.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

I am absolutely delighted to read this review and would like to thank you for taking the time to write it.
I am pleased to hear that your special day was everything you dreamt it would be and feel proud that Pelham House was a part of it.
Your generous comments on the staff has made my day and I will be sure to pass this on to the whole team.
I hope you are enjoying married life and we all wish you the very best for the future.
Best Regards

Reviewed 7 December 2013

Lovely historic hotel in the centre of bustling Lewes. We stayed for 1 night to attend a friends wedding in November. Our room was in a separate building opposite the hotel and nice and quiet. Although the room was small it was perfectly formed with TV, tea and coffee and a nice double shower. The main building was lovely and had a fantastic garden and views from the terrace. Breakfast was good - full English with small buffet selection, and the staff helpful. Only negative was car parking - the nearest one was the station and we couldn't buy a ticket to last for more than a few hours (which was no good for the wedding). We had to leave the hotel at 9pm and move the car.

Room Tip: Our room in the annexe was comfortable but a little noisy from the road. With the windows shut thou...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Pelham House.
I am glad to hear that your enjoyed the wedding party and found the room to be comfortable and perfectly adequate for your needs.
I am sorry about the car park issue that you experienced particularly, if this disrupted your enjoyment of the evening. We only have a small car parking and so recommend the train station car park as an alternative. The train station car park does offer a 48 hour ticket for over nights stay so I am sincerely sorry if this information was not related to you on check in.
I hope however, this did not hinder your enjoyment of the night too much and perhaps if you are in the area again you will return for another visit?

Reviewed 5 December 2013

I booked a two night midweek stay on business as the location was convenient. When booking I asked for car parking (charges and restricted) but when I called to say I would be arriving late I was told there would not be any parking available and I would have to park on the High Street. This has free overnight parking although you have to move by 0800hrs - having a convertible that has been slashed previously and not wanting to move my car for the duration of my stay I said I had booked parking and if I had been told that parking was not going to be available I would not have booked in the first palace. I said I wanted to cancel and suddenly a parking space was made available!
On arrival the welcome was warm if a little chaotic and I was directed to a room on the top floor which is accessed by very narrow, steep stairs with very narrow treads - once you are up you want to stay up. The room was small but comfortable with a strange odour but, I was tired and just wanted to go to sleep so thought nothing more of it. The radiator was on but the room was cool but the duvet was warm so I slept well. The next morning the room still had the strange odour but I was on my way out quickly and it didn't bother me too much.i took a shower in the smallest shower cubicle I have ever tried to get into (I am not a big person) and showering was a gymnastic exercise in contortion!
The breakfast was delicious and the staff again pleasant if a little bit disorganised. On leaving for work I handed over my car keys as requested and asked the receptionist to do something about the smell in the room which she said she would.
On returning in the evening the smell was even worse and the receptionist offered me another room (higher grade for the same rate). This was bigger but no warmer and, although the shower cubicle was large enough to take a more relaxing shower the grout was mouldy and the whole cubicle was grubby. Strangely the free wifi worked well in the first room but didn't work in the next one on my computer but it did work on my iPhone! An ethernet cable was provided so maybe this was known about but not imparted to me.
I had a meal in the poorly lit dining room. The wine list was interesting and the menu well balanced and in general the food was tasty and excellent although some of the bread had clearly been left out since breakfast and the potatoes were hard and undercooked. The staff were again enthusiastic but the impression was of eccentric chaos without leadership.
What schizophrenic hotel - so nearly excellent but only just acceptable for the cost and hype.

Room Tip: Ask about the room features in detail when booking - don't book online.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write the review.
I am very disappointed to hear about the contradictory impressions you received from Pelham House hotel. I thank you however, both for the praise and the constructive criticism. We strive to provide excellent in all aspects of our service and I apologise sincerely that we were unable to provide this on this occasion.
I have looked into the issues raised a discussed your feedback with our departmental managers. I would very much welcome the opportunity to apologise to your personally and address a couple of the points made.
If you would like to discuss this is more detail please feel free to contact myself at the hotel (paul@pelhamhouse.com)
I do hope you will consider visiting Pelham House again in the future so that we can turn around your first experience.
Paul Morgan, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
The Shelleys
#2 of 43 in Brighton
East Sussex National
East Sussex National
#1 of 2 in Little Horsted

Been to Pelham House Hotel? Share your experiences!