“Great place to stay in Lewes”
Review of Pelham House

Pelham House
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Lewes
London, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay in Lewes”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Fairly quiet. Great room. Decent welcome upon arrival. Excellent value. A great place to pass time when it's pouring rain and cold outside.

Restaurant surprisingly good as far as quality and value. Skillful vegetarian dishes. Give it a try.

Room Tip: Room 7 was very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Thank you for providing this feedback. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
We hope to welcome you back again in the future.
Best Regards
Paul Morgan, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Finnish first
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We were invited to a cousins 70th birthday party at Pelham House. Read the reviews beforehand to get an idea of what to expect and we took special note of any disappointments. Now when I give a review I don't say things like 'Rock hard beds etc' as a downside because it's a personal thing. Some people like hard beds.
Now this visit. Arrived early on a stormy day but we were welcomed and the room was ready for us on the top floor. Nice clean room, not large, small tv, nice shower room. Great view to the South Downs. I suppose typical of a old country house hotel with history as opposed to a modern Premier Inn or whatever. Access not good if you are disabled but fine for us. Probably an 'Average' rating so far. The plan was afternoon tea, evening meal [pre-ordered] and breakfast. Tea was nice. Evening meal though, was something else. I've got to give a perfect score - absolutely perfect. The best hotel meal I ever had, enhanced by the great service from all the team. WELL DONE!! Breakfast was also good. I don't eat much in the morning but there was something for everyone on display. Now we're up to the 'Very Good' rating. If I had to find one negative [apart from the storms] it would be that there was only one towel for two people, but I know that if I had asked I would have been given another but better to have it there without having to ask.

Room Tip: If you are going to have problems getting up stairs, speak to the hotel first.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I sincerely appreciate both your compliments and honest constructive comments.
I am, of course, most thrilled that you had ‘a perfect meal’ both in terms of the food and in service. I will be sure to pass this praise to both the chefs and waiting staff working on that evening.
I have taken on board you comment about having only one towel. It is true, as you say, that another would certainly have been provided on request but I completely agree that it should have been there already. This was an over sight on our part and I do apologise.
I very much hope that you will choose to visit Pelham House again in the future and we would be honored to welcome you back.
Many thanks again ,
Crowthorne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

What a great hotel Pelham House is. Great rooms. Utterly fantastic service. The best kippers I have had in a very long while for breakfast (so skilfully filleted). Adjacent to Lewes High Street with all local amenities but absolutely no noise to disturb us. Parking at the hotel itself is limited but because of its proximity to the town that it is not a problem. Staff allowed us to load and unload outside the hotel. Reservation staff very helpful. Will definitely return for another stay.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the hotel overlooking the extensive grounds are preferable
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
I am absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed you weekend escape to Sussex and am very pleased that you choose to stay at Pelham House.
I will be sure to pass you kind comments on to all the staff especially the kitchen who will be thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed the kippers.
We look forward to your return visit.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We were told that people went to Pelham House for special occasions so hurried to book a night there... Not sure why we bothered. Rock hard beds and pillows, which aren't conducive to a good night's sleep. Disorganised service for afternoon tea which we'd pre-ordered but we stood around waiting for one of the 4/5 waiters to tell us where to sit as no one seemed to be in charge. Then stingy portions didn't help much. Breakfast doesn't match what it says on the website (no French toast) and is bog-standard. We asked for bathrobes and my boyfriend was given a child or lady's shortie version. Great! Definitely wouldn't bother again.

1 Thank mcbeamy

Travellers are raving about these Lewes hotels

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

We arrived at midnight of our stay and was greeted by a friendly receptionist. We had only booked that day and paid £70 bed and breakfast and £60 for another room single occupancy. We stayed in the mews, not the main hotel, which we found delightful. I think those rates were higher but we booked last minute and weren't fussed where we stayed. We were warned about the small car park before we booked and were suggested alternatives, street parking and nearby train station. We were able to double park when we got there and left our keys at reception. The receptionist moved our car to a proper space when it became free and gave us our keys back promptly. The room was nicely decorated and the bed was nice and form. All facilities were brilliantly clean. Breakfast was in a beautiful oak panelled dining room. Tea/coffee and toast is served to you along with a cooked breakfast of your choice. Full English, eggs Benedict, eggs florentine, & vegetarian options are available. Our party had eggs Benedict and full English and all beautifully cooked. You can also choose from a fruit platter, cereals, granola and pastries which we had as well! . Staff were attentive and smart. Food reasonably priced i.e. From the light dishes and savouries Welsh rarebit £5.50, homemade scampi and fries £13.50, 100% beef burger and fat chips £10.50. Sandwiches served with fries from £6.50. We cannot fault anything and would definitely stay again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank TravelGeekBabe
Many thanks for this fantastic review.
Hospitality and delicious food are our number 1 priorities at Pelham House so it gives me great pleasure to hear how much you enjoyed you stay.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Best Regards
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I stayed at Pelham House for 6 nights due to my bathroom being refurbished at home. The room was reasonably comfortable. I was put in an attic room which is probably where the servants of the old Pelham House used to live back in the day. It was modern and bright and cheery. Not a brilliant view but then as"Basil Fawlty "once said "What do you expect? Herds of Wildebeest sweeping majestically across....."
On the first night I decided to dine in the restaurant and as you might expect for a high class restaurant the mains were mostly pheasant or grouse or something in a "jus".It was all too rich and heavy. I just wanted something simple like a lamb chop and mash! So I had something from the starters menu ( a goats cheese something or other) and a side dish of feta and ttomato salad. I thought "Yeah that will fill me up." I was sadly mistaken. The goats cheese came on a plate that could have accommodated a homeless family of four , there was that much room left round the edge and the feta and tomato salad was bland. I asked for bread to give me some starch to fill my growling tummy. This morsel came to a staggering £11-50. I ate out for the remainder of my stay. Not impressed.
I will say they left me biscuits nearly every day apart from one day when the room servicing people forgot and also forgot that I might require a clean face cloth as well. I had to leave a note. My request was fulfilled. Also they double charged me. I paid for the first four nights on my card and then decided to stay another three nights as my bathroom had not neared any sign of completion and my husband paid for the last three nights on his card. To our horror we discovered they had charged me for the four nights but taken the whole amount for seven nights from my hubby's card as well! I immediately checked my account and spoke to the manager who assured me that the payment they had taken from me was just a "Pre-payment" and it would be back in my account in a matter of a day or two. I thought "It had better be." It arrived back in my account as promised. This mistake should not have happened though. What if my husband had not had the money to cover the whole 7 days ? He would have gone into the red and incurred bank charges. Luckily , this was not the case. Bad marks for that against Pelham House.
Car parking was charged at an extra £6-50 per day and I thought my bay would be reserved. But no, I had to double park on two occasions and leave my keys with reception. Whoever parked my car, left the car in gear and I almost lurched into a wooden gate! Another bad mark. Yes I should have checked I was in neutral but I didn't. My bad is shared with their bad!
Good points? The bath was huge. I am 5ft 7 and fully stretched out I still could not touch the other end with my toes. If I had not wedged my foot against the side I would have floated off downstream!! (Surreal joke there readers).
Every day on my return to the hotel I found two nice mint chocolates on the pillow. Nice touch if not a little clichéd. I also was able to find a nice supply of hot chocolate sachets that now live in my work drawer should I fancy a cup. Tee hee.
Bad points. Bed hard as a rock. Carpet dirty with mud stains. The ghost. Every night I heard strange noises, bumps and bangs that were quite unnerving. One morning I awoke to find a cupboard opened. Every day when I returned to the hotel my radio was mysteriously playing . Was this a ghost or the cleaners? I will leave it for you to decide. One morning I awoke as I normally did during my stay at 6am to hear a tap, tap, tap, tap, tap. I put the light on immediately and sat up, listening, straining to hear where the strange sound emanated from. It sounded like it was coming from behind the beds' headboard. I put a brave face on the phenomenon and shrugged it off to save myself running out of the room in my night clothes. After all, I'm British!!
I told my work colleagues of this strange incident and they laughed at me. I however, am convinced my room was most likely haunted. The next morning, the receptionist asked could the maintenance man inspect my room. I asked, "why" ,naturally, and he told me that the room beneath mine had been flooded. Now if that is not mysterious , you tell me what is!! Come to think of it....perhaps it was the ghost that ate my biscuits and then used my face cloth to put over his/her head ( It was white after all) and float around spooking people as ghosts do!!
Would I stay again....maybe. It was okay. Glad to be home again though.

Room Tip: Top of the House you are away from the parties and functions that Pelham house regularly stages.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Gastr0dude
Lewes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We held our belated Christmas party in the wonderful oak panelled restaurant at Pelham House. The food and service could not be faulted (which in Lewes is rare indeed!) My starter was boudin blanc with Madeira and wild mushrooms and was delicious. For main I had Pheasant breast with potato rosti washed down with a Spanish Grenache from a short but excellently balanced wine list. One nice touch is that dishes which are gluten free are highlighted clearly. So many of my friends in Lewes have a wheat allergy so this is especially helpful. My colleagues all felt it was a first class dining experience, beautifully orchestrated by the dashing Spanish maître d.
We'll done Pelham House.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you kindly for this first class review!
I am overjoyed to hear that the whole group enjoyed the Christmas party.
We hope you will be back with us again this year,
Kind Regards
Paul Morgan, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
The Shelleys
East Sussex National
East Sussex National
#1 of 2 in Little Horsted
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,145 reviews

Been to Pelham House? Share your experiences!