“Not quite to expectations”
Review of Pelham House

Pelham House
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Lewes
Rochester, United Kingdom
“Not quite to expectations”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Had read decent reviews in Hardens but it was hardly "fine dining" nor a "beautiful setting". Disinterested receptionist rebuked me for parking in the tight car park- "had I reserved a space?" , no but I was about to drop £250 and the need hadn't been mentioned when I booked!

Took a while to get a bottle of Tattinger served in the cold lounge bar. Interesting menu and options but execution lacking and at these prices please remember who has ordered what rather than announcing it when taking the order and then delivering the food. Table layout and options needs sorting as does the naff lighting. Had flagged up on the restaurant reservation it was a birthday but no suitable acknowledgement.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
It is unfortunate that we only have a limited amount of car parking space available and we were unable to accommodate your request to park. We reserve spaces for guests within the entire hotel on a first come first served basis and I'm sure you can appreciate it is difficult to get right all of the time with only 12 spaces.This point should have been raised when confirming your reservation.
While I can apologise for the points of service that did not meet your expectations I cannot comment on the entry for Pelham House within the Hardens guide book, this is made up from guest feedback directly to Hardens and is not influenced by Pelham House.
However I have noted the additional comments and have discussed with our restaurant team, who will focus on the attention to detail that was lacking during your visit.
I hope with this in mind, we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Pelham House in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We spent a weekend at Pelham House on a deal bought through AmazonLocal. We had the most stunning, characterful room, with a four poster bed, views out over the Downs, and an enormous bathroom with a freestanding bath in the middle. There were chocolates on arrival, free bath robes on request, and also a very good selection of complimentary teas and biscuits. Perfect for a romantic weekend! It's right in the middle of town, short walk from the train station and all the sights. Very convenient to travel from London.

The only thing that could have improved our stay would have been if it had been a little bit warmer--both our room and the restaurant were very chilly despite the heat on full. This is to be expected from a big old building in January, but I would recommend taking an extra jumper or some thermals if you visit around the same time of year.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main house at the front, facing the Downs. The room was large and light with huge w...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Thank you for this lovely review.
No need to thank us as It’s our absolute pleasure! I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your weekend break.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Many Thanks
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

£63 for 2 people staying in a standard double with breakfast, bought through travelsupermarket (Hotelpedia)
starting with the negative (which isn't many)....parking is pretty much a nightmare in Lewes. the whole town is either permit or 'pay and display'. Pre-booking a parking space is a MUST if you're planning to drive, (do not assume you are entitled to park on the hotel grounds if you haven't booked), however if you can avoid driving get a train (train station a 5minute walk). however saying that i emailed to book a space, didn't get a prompt response so i called and stated i required a parking space to which i was told yes, i recieved an email a few hours later from someone else saying they were fully booked, turned up and my name wasn't on their list....i therefore had to park in a pay and display car park and double up the payment so it covered me to the next day, about a 10minute walk from the hotel.
it's a big shame this hotel doesn't have a spa/pool (personal preference)....
now for the good....we stayed in what we assumed is a coverted barn distached from the hotel, it was like our own little apartment, beautiful room, spacious, clean....huge bathroom with plenty of towels and toiletries....bottled water and plenty of tea and coffee provided, bath robes provided free on request....we had a member of staff providing a courtesy call at our door a few hours after we checked in, i suppose this is because we were detached from the hotel?? the guy asked if we needed extras and offered us a chocolate :D nice little touch.
Breakfast was included in the price we paid online....simply devine!!! i had eggs royale, toast, tea, orange juice....definately worth including when you pay for the hotel. overal very happy with our stay and will return again, but this time will get a train....

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for this review. I sincerely appreciate all of your feedback, both the positive and the negative.
Firstly, I would like to apologies for any shortcomings that you found during your stay. Our car parking is indeed very limited and so we highly recommend booking in advance, although we are able to recommend a number of nearby alternatives. I am very sorry however, to hear that you experienced some difficulty and confusion in reserving a space. I will certainly look into this issue as a matter of priority.
On to the positives it has given me great pleasure to read your compliments and I am absolutely delighted to hear how much you enjoy you room, our courtesy turn down service and the breakfast.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Pelham House and our little old town in the future
Please do not hesitate to contact our Reservations Manager directly with regards to car parking who will be sure to reserve a space if possible for your next stay.
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Fairly quiet. Great room. Decent welcome upon arrival. Excellent value. A great place to pass time when it's pouring rain and cold outside.

Restaurant surprisingly good as far as quality and value. Skillful vegetarian dishes. Give it a try.

Room Tip: Room 7 was very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for providing this feedback. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
We hope to welcome you back again in the future.
Best Regards
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We were invited to a cousins 70th birthday party at Pelham House. Read the reviews beforehand to get an idea of what to expect and we took special note of any disappointments. Now when I give a review I don't say things like 'Rock hard beds etc' as a downside because it's a personal thing. Some people like hard beds.
Now this visit. Arrived early on a stormy day but we were welcomed and the room was ready for us on the top floor. Nice clean room, not large, small tv, nice shower room. Great view to the South Downs. I suppose typical of a old country house hotel with history as opposed to a modern Premier Inn or whatever. Access not good if you are disabled but fine for us. Probably an 'Average' rating so far. The plan was afternoon tea, evening meal [pre-ordered] and breakfast. Tea was nice. Evening meal though, was something else. I've got to give a perfect score - absolutely perfect. The best hotel meal I ever had, enhanced by the great service from all the team. WELL DONE!! Breakfast was also good. I don't eat much in the morning but there was something for everyone on display. Now we're up to the 'Very Good' rating. If I had to find one negative [apart from the storms] it would be that there was only one towel for two people, but I know that if I had asked I would have been given another but better to have it there without having to ask.

Room Tip: If you are going to have problems getting up stairs, speak to the hotel first.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I sincerely appreciate both your compliments and honest constructive comments.
I am, of course, most thrilled that you had ‘a perfect meal’ both in terms of the food and in service. I will be sure to pass this praise to both the chefs and waiting staff working on that evening.
I have taken on board you comment about having only one towel. It is true, as you say, that another would certainly have been provided on request but I completely agree that it should have been there already. This was an over sight on our part and I do apologise.
I very much hope that you will choose to visit Pelham House again in the future and we would be honored to welcome you back.
Many thanks again ,
Crowthorne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

What a great hotel Pelham House is. Great rooms. Utterly fantastic service. The best kippers I have had in a very long while for breakfast (so skilfully filleted). Adjacent to Lewes High Street with all local amenities but absolutely no noise to disturb us. Parking at the hotel itself is limited but because of its proximity to the town that it is not a problem. Staff allowed us to load and unload outside the hotel. Reservation staff very helpful. Will definitely return for another stay.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the hotel overlooking the extensive grounds are preferable
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
I am absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed you weekend escape to Sussex and am very pleased that you choose to stay at Pelham House.
I will be sure to pass you kind comments on to all the staff especially the kitchen who will be thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed the kippers.
We look forward to your return visit.
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We were told that people went to Pelham House for special occasions so hurried to book a night there... Not sure why we bothered. Rock hard beds and pillows, which aren't conducive to a good night's sleep. Disorganised service for afternoon tea which we'd pre-ordered but we stood around waiting for one of the 4/5 waiters to tell us where to sit as no one seemed to be in charge. Then stingy portions didn't help much. Breakfast doesn't match what it says on the website (no French toast) and is bog-standard. We asked for bathrobes and my boyfriend was given a child or lady's shortie version. Great! Definitely wouldn't bother again.

1 Thank mcbeamy

Travellers are raving about these Lewes hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
The Shelleys
Deans Place, Country Hotel and Restaurant
East Sussex National
East Sussex National
#1 of 2 in Little Horsted

Been to Pelham House? Share your experiences!