“Beware the hidden extras”
Review of Pelham House

Pelham House
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Lewes
Reviewed 20 February 2014

A comfortable hotel in the centre of Lewes, but our visit was spoiled by some of the hidden extras of the hotel - we were surprised on checking in to learn that we were obliged to pay £6.50 for overnight parking, and this involved handing over the keys of the car to the hotel staff so they could shuffle it around in the hotel's limited parking spaces. The room was very small with hardly any space to walk around the bed, although the view was nice and the bed was comfortable. The heating did not seem to work in the bathroom.

Dinner was very disappointing with tiny portions and over-fussy food which frankly did not offer good value for money. The biggest positive was the breakfast which was plentiful and delicious and served by a charming Italian waiter.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Thank you very much for your feedback, I'm extremely happy that you enjoyed your stay and were comfortable.
The bedrooms are all very different within the hotel, if there are bedroom features that do not meet expectations,we are always happy to move guests around if possible. I will make a note alongside your reservation, so should you stay with us again in the future we can take your comments into consideration.
I am extremely disappointed that you did not enjoy your meal in the restaurant, in addition to the restaurant menu that aims to excite, we do offer a simpler set menu and a lounge menu for guests who would like a more casual dining experience. I do hope you had the opportunity to look at these menus prior to eating off the main restaurant menu.
I am surprised that you were not informed of charges relating to the car park, this information is included in the confirmation letter/e mail sent out to all guests when they make a reservation with us.The hotel only has 12 spaces which we allocate subject to availability when making a booking. The charge is in line with the public car parking space within the town and cheaper than metered parking in the nearby streets.
With your feedback taken into account , I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Pelham House in the future.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Just got back from weekend at Pelham house to celebrate a birthday. It is a beautiful old building (work is taking place at the moment to the outside of the building), inside it is quirky and interesting and has some arresting features such as the amazing ceiling above the reception, the lovely garden and elegant dining rooms. Our rooms 13 and 14 were large, very comfortable with huge baths in roomy bathrooms. One had a roll top bath. I couldn't fault the rooms - all was perfect. Room 14 had a view of the Downs over the rooftops of Lewes.
Breakfast was a good choice of buffet food such as croissants , pastries, fresh fruit, cereal, juices. A hot breakfast cooked to order offered a wide choice and was cooked beautifully.

We didn't eat in the hotel so can't comment on the dining experience it offers.

The hotel is just off the High Street, so it is a short walk to all the pubs, restaurants, cafes and shops in Lewes.

Our only negative point would be its a shame there is a charge of £6.50 to park your car in the hotel car park..

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Clare D

Thank you very much for your upbeat comments following your recent stay.
I will pass on your comments to the breakfast team and Housekeeping who will be very happy that you enjoyed their offering.
I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Pelham House in the future.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Had read decent reviews in Hardens but it was hardly "fine dining" nor a "beautiful setting". Disinterested receptionist rebuked me for parking in the tight car park- "had I reserved a space?" , no but I was about to drop £250 and the need hadn't been mentioned when I booked!

Took a while to get a bottle of Tattinger served in the cold lounge bar. Interesting menu and options but execution lacking and at these prices please remember who has ordered what rather than announcing it when taking the order and then delivering the food. Table layout and options needs sorting as does the naff lighting. Had flagged up on the restaurant reservation it was a birthday but no suitable acknowledgement.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

It is unfortunate that we only have a limited amount of car parking space available and we were unable to accommodate your request to park. We reserve spaces for guests within the entire hotel on a first come first served basis and I'm sure you can appreciate it is difficult to get right all of the time with only 12 spaces.This point should have been raised when confirming your reservation.
While I can apologise for the points of service that did not meet your expectations I cannot comment on the entry for Pelham House within the Hardens guide book, this is made up from guest feedback directly to Hardens and is not influenced by Pelham House.
However I have noted the additional comments and have discussed with our restaurant team, who will focus on the attention to detail that was lacking during your visit.
I hope with this in mind, we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Pelham House in the future.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

We spent a weekend at Pelham House on a deal bought through AmazonLocal. We had the most stunning, characterful room, with a four poster bed, views out over the Downs, and an enormous bathroom with a freestanding bath in the middle. There were chocolates on arrival, free bath robes on request, and also a very good selection of complimentary teas and biscuits. Perfect for a romantic weekend! It's right in the middle of town, short walk from the train station and all the sights. Very convenient to travel from London.

The only thing that could have improved our stay would have been if it had been a little bit warmer--both our room and the restaurant were very chilly despite the heat on full. This is to be expected from a big old building in January, but I would recommend taking an extra jumper or some thermals if you visit around the same time of year.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main house at the front, facing the Downs. The room was large and light with huge w...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Thank you for this lovely review.
No need to thank us as It’s our absolute pleasure! I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your weekend break.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Many Thanks

Reviewed 11 February 2014

£63 for 2 people staying in a standard double with breakfast, bought through travelsupermarket (Hotelpedia)
starting with the negative (which isn't many)....parking is pretty much a nightmare in Lewes. the whole town is either permit or 'pay and display'. Pre-booking a parking space is a MUST if you're planning to drive, (do not assume you are entitled to park on the hotel grounds if you haven't booked), however if you can avoid driving get a train (train station a 5minute walk). however saying that i emailed to book a space, didn't get a prompt response so i called and stated i required a parking space to which i was told yes, i recieved an email a few hours later from someone else saying they were fully booked, turned up and my name wasn't on their list....i therefore had to park in a pay and display car park and double up the payment so it covered me to the next day, about a 10minute walk from the hotel.
it's a big shame this hotel doesn't have a spa/pool (personal preference)....
now for the good....we stayed in what we assumed is a coverted barn distached from the hotel, it was like our own little apartment, beautiful room, spacious, clean....huge bathroom with plenty of towels and toiletries....bottled water and plenty of tea and coffee provided, bath robes provided free on request....we had a member of staff providing a courtesy call at our door a few hours after we checked in, i suppose this is because we were detached from the hotel?? the guy asked if we needed extras and offered us a chocolate :D nice little touch.
Breakfast was included in the price we paid online....simply devine!!! i had eggs royale, toast, tea, orange juice....definately worth including when you pay for the hotel. overal very happy with our stay and will return again, but this time will get a train....

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for this review. I sincerely appreciate all of your feedback, both the positive and the negative.
Firstly, I would like to apologies for any shortcomings that you found during your stay. Our car parking is indeed very limited and so we highly recommend booking in advance, although we are able to recommend a number of nearby alternatives. I am very sorry however, to hear that you experienced some difficulty and confusion in reserving a space. I will certainly look into this issue as a matter of priority.
On to the positives it has given me great pleasure to read your compliments and I am absolutely delighted to hear how much you enjoy you room, our courtesy turn down service and the breakfast.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Pelham House and our little old town in the future
Please do not hesitate to contact our Reservations Manager directly with regards to car parking who will be sure to reserve a space if possible for your next stay.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Fairly quiet. Great room. Decent welcome upon arrival. Excellent value. A great place to pass time when it's pouring rain and cold outside.

Restaurant surprisingly good as far as quality and value. Skillful vegetarian dishes. Give it a try.

Room Tip: Room 7 was very quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for providing this feedback. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
We hope to welcome you back again in the future.
Best Regards

Reviewed 9 February 2014

We were invited to a cousins 70th birthday party at Pelham House. Read the reviews beforehand to get an idea of what to expect and we took special note of any disappointments. Now when I give a review I don't say things like 'Rock hard beds etc' as a downside because it's a personal thing. Some people like hard beds.
Now this visit. Arrived early on a stormy day but we were welcomed and the room was ready for us on the top floor. Nice clean room, not large, small tv, nice shower room. Great view to the South Downs. I suppose typical of a old country house hotel with history as opposed to a modern Premier Inn or whatever. Access not good if you are disabled but fine for us. Probably an 'Average' rating so far. The plan was afternoon tea, evening meal [pre-ordered] and breakfast. Tea was nice. Evening meal though, was something else. I've got to give a perfect score - absolutely perfect. The best hotel meal I ever had, enhanced by the great service from all the team. WELL DONE!! Breakfast was also good. I don't eat much in the morning but there was something for everyone on display. Now we're up to the 'Very Good' rating. If I had to find one negative [apart from the storms] it would be that there was only one towel for two people, but I know that if I had asked I would have been given another but better to have it there without having to ask.

Room Tip: If you are going to have problems getting up stairs, speak to the hotel first.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I sincerely appreciate both your compliments and honest constructive comments.
I am, of course, most thrilled that you had ‘a perfect meal’ both in terms of the food and in service. I will be sure to pass this praise to both the chefs and waiting staff working on that evening.
I have taken on board you comment about having only one towel. It is true, as you say, that another would certainly have been provided on request but I completely agree that it should have been there already. This was an over sight on our part and I do apologise.
I very much hope that you will choose to visit Pelham House again in the future and we would be honored to welcome you back.
Many thanks again ,
Paul Morgan, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
The Shelleys
Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club
Best Western The Birch Hotel
Best Western The Birch Hotel
#1 of 1 in Haywards Heath

Been to Pelham House? Share your experiences!