“Another lovely stay at Pelham House”
Review of Pelham House

Pelham House
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Lewes
Reviewed 1 April 2014

This really is a lovely hotel, I have family in and around Lewes so know the area well, and have now stayed twice at Pelham House and would definitely return. It's a beautiful location and a nice little hotel with friendly staff, good food and quirky rooms (which do vary in size).

Room Tip: I prefer the main house to the annexe, which I asked for at booking and got.
1  Thank SebastienCale
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your return visit to Pelham House and thank you for posting your comments.
We hope we will see you again soon when you next visit your family.
Kind Regards
Paul Morgan

Reviewed 26 March 2014

We spent one night in the main building this week and were very impressed with the hotel. We were pampered with a box of handmade chocolates in our room, the curtains were closed and mints left on the bed in the evening too. Breakfast was delicious...I loved the live yogourt and local pastries as well as the cooked English. We will return!

1  Thank Scottishmumof2
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

I'm very pleased your stay was so pleasurable and you plan to return.
The house is very different and has its own charm, so it is great to hear that you found it so beautiful.
I will make sure the breakfast team receive your comments about their breakfast service.
Thank you once again.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We had a lovely birthday trip to Pelham House. Our room was a loft room with lovely views over Lewes and The Downs. Elements of the room needed a bit of a refurb; peeling paint in the bathroom and a shower tray which filled with a puddle of water slightly spoiled the feeling of luxury. Our dinner in the restaurant was a mixed experience; lovely service and surroundings but a fairly bland starter of pork rilletes. Overall though, despite the tiny grumbles, this is a lovely place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

I'm very please that you enjoyed your stay with us, the team are very happy to receive such warm feedback.
Simon and James who take care of the rooms constantly strive to keep on top of maintaining and decorating our historical building and I have noted the points that you raised.
I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Pelham House soon.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

First of all I should explain that this review is about the restaurant only, we didn't stay at this hotel as we stay with friends in Lewes.

What made our lunch (with the local friends) so memorable was the originality of the 3-course menu - very good indeed. There is also a nice, relaxed feel to the establishment and very courteous and friendly service.

I look forward to another visit to Pelham House

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to post such complimentary feedback regarding your recent lunch.
I have passed on your comments to the Glenn and his kitchen team who are very pleased that you enjoyed their food.
We work very hard to look after our guests personally and to welcome them into Pelham House as if it is their own home.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

As I have a number of complaints, I thought it would be best to list them:
1. The "bed" I had the unfortunate experience of spending the night in seemed to be of the economy variety. You could feel the large metal strings through the fabric, and it was placed on a solid wooden board of wood. As a result I had a total of 20 mins sleep, not good when you have an important business meeting the next day. It didn't help matters that someone upstairs decided to Feng Shui their furniture in the early hours of the morning. I really hope it brought them peace and enlightenment!
2. No extra bedding in the wardrobe, not that unlimited amounts of bedding would have helped the lack of comfort experienced.
3. Off UHT milk which curdled the tea, I didn't even know this was possible until now. To their credit they did replace it.
4. I recommend the Venison haunch but my medium/medium rare steak was still mooing and had to be sent back to be cooked. Only about half of it was edible even on its return, the rest being gristle and fat. It left a bad taste in my mouth especially as it had a £5.95 supplement.
We have been offered partial discount, but it really ruined our trip to Brighton and prompted an early return home.

Room Tip: Don't let them put you in what appears to be converted garages, you might as well sleep in your...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank NellLJ

I am disappointed that your stay with us did not in any way meet your expectations.
I am satisfied that the list of contributing factors that led to such disappointment were discussed with the our duty manager upon departure, and indeed again when my reservation manager followed up later that day by e mail and telephone.

We will always try to resolve problems guests may have while still in house, if we do not capture these points we will always try to compensate accordingly and to the best of our judgement.
We have indeed had further communication and again offered a further gesture of goodwill as you were so unhappy with your stay.

On this occasion I will of course take on board the feedback and discuss matters with the team.
Once again I apologise that our hotel and offering did not meet your expectations.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Just stayed in a wonderful boutique hotel in Lewes. The staff couldn't have been nicer and the food & room were great.
there is a lovely personal feel to this hotel which makes you feel relaxed. This is one of our favourite stays.
We would recommend this to anyone who wants to stay in this historic area.

Room Tip: Room 4 is amazing,
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you very much indeed for such wonderful feedback,
I am very happy that your stay with us was so enjoyable and I do hope that the team and I have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

We booked 11 rooms and held a private dinner in their panelled room. Lovely, helpful staff, great rooms. They managed to cater for 28 adults and 6 kids without too much hassle, the service was a little slow but they had another function on that night too - so under the circumstances they did really well. Food was delicious, hard to do for so many at once - very, very reasonably priced set menu options and lovely canapes. Prior to the event, the staff were really helpful and ensured our party went well. Overall, a lovely place, reasonably priced in a great location.What's not to like. Go for a room in the main house with a view if you want a choice, the garden is lovely and the rooms are all really big.

Room Tip: Opt for one in the main house, first floor overlooking the garden - that said, many of the top floor...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

I am so pleased that you had such an enjoyable time at Pelham House.
I will pass on your comments to all of the team who contributed in making your time with us such a success.
I hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the not too distant future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
The Shelleys
#2 of 2 in Little Horsted
The Grand Brighton
The Grand Brighton
#10 of 43 in Brighton

Been to Pelham House? Share your experiences!