“A real treat”
Review of Pelham House

Pelham House
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Lewes
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We stayed here last week for two nights. The receptionist was friendly and helpful. We chose a standard double which was small but clean and comfortable. The executive room looked amazing if you want to pay the extra. The Hotel is in a good location at the top of the High Street so in easy reach of everything if you don't mind walking up and down the hill. We didn't have dinner at the hotel but the bar was pleasant and staff very courteous. Breakfast was a treat. Friendly service, good choice of hot or cold. We both had full English with lovely thick cut bacon and proper sausages. We will definitely pay them a second visit. P.s. If you are driving make sure you book a parking space.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to write this review.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and I agree that the breakfast is a real treat!

We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Lovely facade, lovely character, and good breakfast, but considering a price of £160 per night (reduced down to £105 through late rooms), it was quite a poor experience.

To get to the hotel and check in after being on the road for 6 hours to be told the restuarant was still open was great news, however after getting a bag or two from the car, placing said items into my room, and coming back downstairs for dinner within 3-4 mins, I was then told the restaurant is now closed.... Mmm...

The room (number 15) was cramped and the finishings and look of the room were quite drab and very average - certainly a push as what was said to be a double room and not comparable to the look of the foyet and the dining areas. The third floor (in that area) also had quite a fusty and a little damp smell - again not great.

Had this have been a £60 night or even £80, I might have been a little more complimentary, but at over £100 a night off-peak, the quality is sadly lacking I think. Having to pay for parking when there were spaces free within the grounds was also a bit of a joke considering it was a week-day.

Room Tip: Dont choose room 15.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank jamesmwatson79
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Thank you very much for your recent feedback,

I am extremely disappointed that your stay with with us did not meet your expectations.
The mixed message surrounding the restaurant being open or not should not have happened and I have made sure that this error in our communication does not happen again.

Bedrooms within the main house are of different shapes and sizes and we are quite happy to move guests around accordingly should any room not meet guest expectations, Room 15 is cosy and under the eves but rooms 13 and 14 in the same area are a little more spacious benefiting from a different style of fixture and fitting.
Should you stay with us again I would be happy to talk you through some of the options we have and to oversee your reservation, I'm sure we could show you our hotel in a more positive light.

I must also apologise for the damp smell that you may have experienced, at the far end of the corridor you were staying on we had just rebuilt a bedroom/corridor wall (re-plastered etc.)Unfortunately an internal water pipe had burst which had soaked the wall. All has been now been repaired.We did have a de-humidifier and air fresheners in place but unfortunately the project was unavoidable.

I would be very happy to welcome you back to Pelham House should you be in Lewes again and would urge you to contact me should you consider returning to Pelham House.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

We have stayed in numerous hotels and this is the first time we've ever reviewed one.
We stayed here for one night on Easter Sunday using the Hotels Racing Package with Plumpton Racecourse which included staying in a superior room, 3 course evening meal, breakfast and 2 entry tickets to the Paddock/Grandstand area of the racecourse. We arrived early morning and was greeted by a friendly welcoming receptionist who took our bag and arranged for it to be placed in our room on our return. The hotel is a mix of 'quaint' and modern. Our room overlooked the downs and immaculate gardens with stunning views of the downs. Everything was spotless. We ate in the restaurant in the evening thinking as in some places, we would be restricted to our choice of food. We weren't and the food was perfect. The staff couldn't do enough for us and were very helpful without being intrusive. There was a lot of choice for Breakfast and the hot options were freshly cooked.
To sum up. A beautiful hotel, extremley helpful, pleasant staff with a very high standard of food. We will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main hotel as we noticed some rooms are in the car park
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for this fantastic review.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we will certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

This was the first time we have team up with Plumpton racecourse to put together this kind of offer and we were very happy we did as it was the perfect combinations - giving our guests a fantastic day out at the races and a relaxing evening away all in one. We very much appreciate your feedback and we certainly hope to put together similar offers in the future.

I am also very pleased to hear that this is the first review you have written – it is a true compliment and I very much appreciate you taking the time to write this.

Best Regards

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel on Easter Sunday for one night. We used a Living Social Voucher and the location is lovely as were the views from our room which overlooked the South Downs. The restaurant however was quite another story, most of the menu contained eggs and since I am allergic, my starter consisted of bread. We had to ask three times for our drinks and twice for apple sauce which never materialised. The hotel was not full and neither was it that busy in the restaurant that night. Upon check out we were charged £6.50 to park in the hotel car park which was never advised to us on arrival and nowhere on our voucher did it state this or that prebooking is also required as space is somewhat limited. I called and complained the following day as I was not present upon checkout. I was told that the Duty Manager was too busy and that my complaint had been passed on to the Reservations Manager to deal with, however she wasn't in and would call me back the following day. She didn't, I called her and no message was ever passed on to her, but she did receive my email so was aware of my complaint. Needless to say I have been promised a refund for the car parking charge but this whole experience has ruined our stay and I think it will be unlikely that we will return. They really do need to up their communication skills and advise customers of their rules and charges to avoid this situation from occuring again in the future.

Room Tip: Book a room in the old house overlooking the South Downs
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank miscura
Reviewed 17 April 2014

A beautiful hotel, staff were excellent, our room 32 was superb. We had simply the best breakfast! Highly recommended!

PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Many thanks for your review.
We are all delighted to hear that you had a fantastic stay and breakfast. Room 32 is indeed an excellent room and has a wonderful and comfy brand new bed!
We look forward to seeing you again,

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We booked in for an overnight stay as part of walking the South Downs Way. We stayed on a Sunday when the price was extremely good. We arrived early and were impressed in that the staff organised the room for us quickly. Staff were very pleasant and very helpful. The hotel was beautifully done out, a lovely mix of old and new. As it was so lovely we were very concerned we had misread the price and were going to be charged an awful lot more. Well kitted out rooms and a nice touch, staff came round to check whether we needed anything else and to offer chocolates! Breakfast was lovely with lots of choice and all freshly cooked. Central to Lewes with lovely gardens. One of the cheapest nights of our walk and definitely the best. Would happily visit again and pay more to do do so.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Simon C

Thank you kindly for this lovely review.
I am please to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you had a fantastic time walking the Stunning South downs.
I very much hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Pelham House.

Best Regards

Reviewed 14 April 2014

A four day stay on business this time.

This is a very comfortable hotel with top quality food in a lovely setting in central Lewes.

Rooms are comfortable but quirky. A room with a Downs view is recommended

Pre-book parking as it is very limited.

Room Tip: Get a room with a Downs view
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank FamilyPaul

Many thanks for your review and I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future - perhaps for a leisure stay next time and a lovely break from work in the beautiful town of Lewes

Paul Morgan, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
The Shelleys
#2 of 2 in Seaford
Horsted Place
Horsted Place
#2 of 2 in Little Horsted

Been to Pelham House? Share your experiences!