“A mixed bag...”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Lewes
Oxford, United Kingdom
“A mixed bag...”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stayed at Pelham House for one night, midweek, as a birthday treat. There was such a mix of good and not-so-good, it's actually quite difficult to review! So I'll start with the good:
It's a beautiful building by in a fabulous location; the staff were very friendly and helpful; the bed was fantastically comfortable; and the breakfast was great. So it should have been an amazing stay, BUT...
The whole place was let down by three things. Firstly, our room was really small and gloomy, looking out at a fire escape and a wall. At over 100pounds a night, this was disappointing. The pokey staircase and corridor leading to the room had a really funny smell- somewhere between mould and cheese- that was really off-putting. And finally, the decor of the whole place really looked like it had been done on the cheap, from the nasty formica tables in the bar to the industrial, school-corridor style carpets. The overall effect was jarring in such a beautiful building, and made the whole place feel really corporate and lacking in character.

I've given it 3 stars due to the many good points and the fact that we slept very well (which is all that really matters, I suppose). But it would take relatively little to turn this into a really great hotel. As it is, I won't be rushing back.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Annie L
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Customer feedback is very important to us as so I welcome both your good and bad comments and it helps us to recognize what we are doing right and which areas we need to improve.

Firstly, I would like to say how happy I am to hear that you enjoyed a fantastic night’s sleep in one of our truly comfortable beds and I will also pass your kind comments on the staff to the whole team.

I am of course however, saddened to hear of the areas of disappointed that you experienced. We try very hard to keep our beautiful building in the best condition and so I am concerned about the issues you have raise on the décor and maintenance. I will be sure to look into these in more details and should you wish to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards
Paul Morgan, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Finnish first
Bassoues, France
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We arrived and were able to sit outside on the terrace and enjoy the evening sunshine. We were called in for our meal to the lovely dining room. The staff were all very friendly and helpful though the service was a little slow. However, the food was excellent. I had the chicken liver parfait for a starter which was huge and that was just as well as my main course, the lamb, was not huge, intact had I not had the starter I would have been hungry. It all tasted delicious. We drank good wine which really pushed up the bill. I would recommend this hotel for a special meal and my daughter had stayed here, after her wedding and said it was wonderful and the room was lovely.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed a fabulous birthday meal at Pelham House. Our terrace is truly beautiful for pre-dinner drinks and so I am happy to you were able to enjoy the evening sun on this special occasion.

I have passed your comments on the portion sizes to the kitchen and genuinely appreciate feedback like this as it is invaluable to our commitment to continually improve our service.

We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards,
Brighton
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We decided to celebrate my mother in laws 70th Birthday with an afternoon tea, after much homework we decided to plump for Pelham House. The tea was good value, however no choice of teas and I have to say the Service was slow, although we were not in a hurry, just felt something was missing ! Lovely gardens to sit in on a nice day and a beautiful property. Glad we went but would probably try other places in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
I'm very glad that you chose us to celebrate your birthday celebration.
Our garden is fantastic at this time of year especially when the sun is shining.

Thank you for your feedback, we have a great tea selection so I am puzzled as to why your waiter did not take you through the options, I have passed this on to Ben our restaurant manager to discuss with his team.

Please also except my apologies for the slow service, we aim to get these things just right, so your feedback is very important to us.
Should you visit us again , I would encourage you to talk to us so we can put things right at the time and make sure that nothing at all is missing and we meet all of your expectations.

Hope we see you again over the summer as the garden is looking great.
Doha
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with friends while on a trip to Brighton. Hotels in Brighton are quite pricey, and if you have a car I suggest coming here. It's a 25 minute drive from the pier, and located in a lovely old fashion English town called Lewes.
As for the hotel itself, what impressed me was the service. There was a slight confusion with our reservation, which was made with booking.com, however the staff found a solution. Moreover, because of the (slight) hassle they gave us a discount on our room and free breakfast - which was delicious. Really, if you stay here, you need to have breakfast!
The hotel itself is a beautiful old mansion type building. And the rooms were modern with free WiFi, flat screen tv, hair dryer, and alarm clock with an iPhone dock.
Overall I think this hotel is a good choice.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to write this review.

I am very sorry to hear about the mix up with your reservation but happy that we were able to rectify the situation for you and that you had an enjoyable stay! I will certainly pass your kind comments on the service to the whole team.

Lewes is a beautiful town and I am glad you were as charmed by it as we all are.

We hope to see you again

Many thanks
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Our room was incredibly comfortable with a big bathroom (which was very clean and nice, centre standing bath etc.). The staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was very good indeed.

We got the train down from London and it is just 5 minutes from the station in Lewes so perfect.

Would definitely recommend this place for a weekend break to Lewes or if you're heading down there for a wedding (as we were).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed you stay and hope you had a wonderful time at the wedding.
Its sounds like you stayed in either room 4 or 13 which do have the most beautiful bathrooms!
We hope you will pay us a return visit next time you are in the area.

Best Regards
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here last week for two nights. The receptionist was friendly and helpful. We chose a standard double which was small but clean and comfortable. The executive room looked amazing if you want to pay the extra. The Hotel is in a good location at the top of the High Street so in easy reach of everything if you don't mind walking up and down the hill. We didn't have dinner at the hotel but the bar was pleasant and staff very courteous. Breakfast was a treat. Friendly service, good choice of hot or cold. We both had full English with lovely thick cut bacon and proper sausages. We will definitely pay them a second visit. P.s. If you are driving make sure you book a parking space.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to write this review.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and I agree that the breakfast is a real treat!

We look forward to your return visit.

Kind Regards
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Lovely facade, lovely character, and good breakfast, but considering a price of £160 per night (reduced down to £105 through late rooms), it was quite a poor experience.

To get to the hotel and check in after being on the road for 6 hours to be told the restuarant was still open was great news, however after getting a bag or two from the car, placing said items into my room, and coming back downstairs for dinner within 3-4 mins, I was then told the restaurant is now closed.... Mmm...

The room (number 15) was cramped and the finishings and look of the room were quite drab and very average - certainly a push as what was said to be a double room and not comparable to the look of the foyet and the dining areas. The third floor (in that area) also had quite a fusty and a little damp smell - again not great.

Had this have been a £60 night or even £80, I might have been a little more complimentary, but at over £100 a night off-peak, the quality is sadly lacking I think. Having to pay for parking when there were spaces free within the grounds was also a bit of a joke considering it was a week-day.

Room Tip: Dont choose room 15.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jamesmwatson79
Thank you very much for your recent feedback,

I am extremely disappointed that your stay with with us did not meet your expectations.
The mixed message surrounding the restaurant being open or not should not have happened and I have made sure that this error in our communication does not happen again.

Bedrooms within the main house are of different shapes and sizes and we are quite happy to move guests around accordingly should any room not meet guest expectations, Room 15 is cosy and under the eves but rooms 13 and 14 in the same area are a little more spacious benefiting from a different style of fixture and fitting.
Should you stay with us again I would be happy to talk you through some of the options we have and to oversee your reservation, I'm sure we could show you our hotel in a more positive light.

I must also apologise for the damp smell that you may have experienced, at the far end of the corridor you were staying on we had just rebuilt a bedroom/corridor wall (re-plastered etc.)Unfortunately an internal water pipe had burst which had soaked the wall. All has been now been repaired.We did have a de-humidifier and air fresheners in place but unfortunately the project was unavoidable.

I would be very happy to welcome you back to Pelham House should you be in Lewes again and would urge you to contact me should you consider returning to Pelham House.

Travellers are raving about these Lewes hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
The Shelleys
East Sussex National
East Sussex National
#1 of 2 in Little Horsted
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,147 reviews

Been to Pelham House? Share your experiences!