“Living out of a suitcase in comfort!”
Review of Pelham House Hotel

Pelham House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Lewes
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Just stayed for 4 nights at this hotel in the heart of Lewes.Lovely location,beautiful gardens,friendly helpful staff and a great breakfast. BUT whilst room was clean,comfortable and well equipped there was no chest of drawers to put your clothes away.In fact there was only a bar wih a few hangers in one corner along with iron,ironing board and far,so for duration we had to put suitcase on collapsible rack which partially blocked door. Just a pity really and I dont reckon its worth paying more for a deluxe room just for a couple of drawers!! Should have been there anyway.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

I am very happy to hear that you had a pleasant 4 nights stay at Pelham House and hope you enjoyed out beautiful town!

I whole heartedly take on your comments on the lack of drawers. We are continuously refurbishing the rooms and therefore appreciate feedback like this.

I hope you will visit us again in the future!

Paul Morgan, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,072)

Reviewed 18 June 2014

My third trip to Pelham House, Lewes and the Sussex country side. Really like the hotel, its right of the middle of things position, very helpful staff and its grounds...good value with one of the special offers. Lewes is interesting...great character...and then there's the Harvey's pub!!! Excellent circular walks right out of Lewes...all in all brilliant.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at Pelham House on 3 separate occasions now! We love nothing more than welcoming back guests and hope we will have the pleasure of seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Great location but the rooms are not really up to the price tag and certainly the quality of some of the staff is way below what you would expect at £250 per night.

We booked dinner but cancelled after being left standing for a full five minutes at the reception point.

If you can get rooms at a discount then perhaps worthwhile otherwise I would not stay here again

1  Thank wheelskeepturning

I am very sorry to hear of your disappointment and am particularly concern that you felt the price of the room was too high both for the quality of the room itself and the service received.

I would very much like to speak with you directly regarding this and should you wish to discuss this in more details please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

We were on a Glyndebourne weekend and many people recommended us to eat here. We were disappointed.

Positives: (1) the service was friendly, (2) the patio and dining room were nice (not outstanding), and (3) the presentation of the food was up to the standard of a very good cookery book.

Negatives: in our view (1) the bread (brown or white) was not good and didn't taste fresh, (2) the menu was really disappointing, and (3) the portion sizes were very small.

Returning to the menu, there were only four choices for main course: steak, ox cheek, lamb medallions, or fish soup. My partner had the lamb - there were 3 medallions, they were miniscule, and the fat rind was as big as the meat itself; luckily she doesn't eat much. I hadn't planned to go out for a bowl of soup as my main course, but not liking beef or lamb there was no other option (apart from leaving). The soup arrived in a dish roughly the size of an airplane food container, accompanied by a large slice of dry brown bread. It didn't taste of much.

Overall, we came away feeling that we liked the staff but that the meal had really just been a waste of money. If they improved the menu we'd consider coming back.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

5. Comfy bed.

I could go on and on.

Bad Points
1. Not told that you had to reserve one of the approx ten parking spaces
2. Very noisy extractor fan in the poorly fitted out bathroom (extractor fan kept going for about 15 mins not good in the middle of the night )
3. No black out blind on the windows sun up about 4am.
4. Could hear the extractor fan and the bath running in the next door room and also the staff moving the tables ahd chairs around (loudly) in the garden first thing in the morning. (I know that it is probably a listed house, however, there are very good secondary glazing available that is
in keeping with period properties.
5. When the menu says Eggs Benedict, shouldn't it be just that, plural?

All said and done it is a lovely hotel. I just felt that we left there with the feeling that we had paid a little too much for the room, rather that leaving saying that it was well worth the £260 for one night.
If we'd of be able to of said that, the hotel would of had its 5 stars.

P.S. if you could remove the planning office you'd get 5star ++ ( i know thats not your fault)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Paula6644

Many thanks for this review. I appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback and have taken on board entirely both the good and the bad points you have made.

Firstly, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the beautiful town of Lewes, our wonderful building and staff and found the bed to be comfortable.

I am of course disappointed to hear that there were other areas which hindered your enjoyment of the whole stay and would like to offer my sincere apologies for this.

With regards to the car parking we are extremely limited as we are located right in the middle of this beautiful, old market town and therefore we try our utmost to advise everyone of parking at the time of booking. I can see that your reservation was made on line and thus this information should be on your confirmation letter so I am very sorry if this was not a clear as it should be and I will certainly look into it as a matter of priority. In terms of the extractor fan and black out blinds I have now passed this feedback to our maintenance team who will look into both points and improve these areas for future stays. Likewise, I take on board your point on eggs Benedict and will discuss this with our head chef.

Once again, I thank you for your feedback and hopefully we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We had a standard room with a big window overlooking the gardens and it was great value for money. Queen size bed was comfortable, the room was quiet and everything was spotlessly clean. Breakfast was very good and a reasonable price, made all the more enjoyable because we were able to sit outside in the sunshine to eat it. The Hotel is within easy walking distance of Lewes Castle and the shops. We paid for parking at the Hotel and were glad that we did so because the surrounding roads are mostly narrow and busy. This is a beautiful hotel. We will return - and the next time we will book a table in the dining room for dinner. The menu looked very interesting.

Room Tip: There are rooms in an annex overlooking the car park. We were pleased that we were in the main build...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you for your review and I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and, if I may say so myself, the food is excellent so definitely reserve a table!

Best Wishes

Reviewed 3 June 2014

My Wife and I decided to have an evening meal at Pelham House for our 9th wedding anniversary and when we arrived we were looked after by Ben and had a drink in the comfortable bar area, relaxing on one of the comfy leather sofas. Ben asked if it was a special occasion which it was and when we reached our table there were two complimentary glasses of Champagne, which was a very kind special surprise. The food was fantastic, and what you would get at a 5 star establishment, the chef is obviously very passionate about the food he prepares. We will be returning soon for a meal with our family and also fancy the afternoon tea sat outside in the lovely garden. Many thanks to all the staff at Pelham house for making our wedding anniversary so special. Rich and Babs Russell

Dear Rich and Babs,

I am overjoyed to hear how wonderful your meal was with us and please allow me to congratulate you again on your wedding anniversary!

I will be sure to pass your feedback to Ben, our restaurant manager, the chefs and of course, the rest of the team who will be thrilled to hear that they were able to make your special day!

We look forward to welcoming you and your family in the future.

I wish you all the best,
Paul Morgan, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
The Shelleys
Horsted Place
Horsted Place
#2 of 2 in Little Horsted
Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa

Been to Pelham House Hotel? Share your experiences!