“Nearly excellent”
Review of Pelham House

Pelham House
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Lewes
Reviewed 27 August 2014

This is a hotel that sees itself as premier class but little things let it down. Our room was large, comfortable and had a superb view out to the downs. A standard room presumably because of the small bathroom (shower only). Fine but a fixed shower head (so for my wife trickier to avoid her hair getting wet), no tooth mugs and they could have fitted an extra shelf somewhere. We'd asked for an early check in and the room was clearly not ready (we got it 15 minutes later) and, to be fair, they did not charge us the extra for early check in. The staff are friendly enough (though calling seniors "folks" or was it "chaps" not quite the right touch), the breakfast is good (though can take a bit of time). The bar is not really welcoming and the choice of music is awful. Needless to say we couldn't get a room for the third night as they had wedding parties (two) and there isn't a comfortable lounge. Overall four plus stars.

Room Tip: As with all older buildings the rooms are likely to vary and not all are in the house, though the an...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mikehandel

Reviewed 25 August 2014

As many others we had booked this hotel for two nights for a Glyndebourne trip . I cannot fault the staff who were endlessly helpful when our plane was cancelled and there was all sorts of printing out of new boarding passes to be done for us which they did with great kindness.
But I am afraid the hotel suffers from the English Country House hotel syndrome of not being prepared for the summer. Our room was on the top floor ( and I echo the complaint about the unblacked out sky light , which made us feel we were under a spotlight both from heat and light point of view from 5h30am) and when we got there late evening the windows were shut and curtains drawn . It was STIFFLING. The fan which was provided could not give any real help and sleep was nigh on impossible. We heard our neighbours say at breakfast that they had had to try to sleep with their room door open to get some air !
Yes, it was charming, yes the staff was splendid , breakfast was good with a broad choice , but i think it would be best for a cosy winter break, rather than a summer one . wifi excellent

Room Tip: avoid rooms on the top floor - no lifts and horrid skylight
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NiceLabrador06
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed here for one night for a weekend trip to Lewes and Brighton. 1st time to Lewes and loved it! - loads of great antique and vintage shops, arty shops, cafés and restaurants. The hotel is a beautiful house right in the centre of town, staff welcoming and friendly, it could probably do with a refurb (has so much potential interiors wise) but that'd then put the prices up even more! I'd recommend to prebook parking. We ate at Bills in the evening but I hear Pelham arms just up the road do a great menu for dinner. If you do go to Brighton as we did, we drove and parked on Blackman street, great location in the North Lanes - £10 for 9 hours - hard to beat when most of the parking there is around £25!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Very clean rooms, updated bathrooms and beautiful grounds. The Ritz it ain't, but if your looking for old world British charm, this is a great spot. Strong free wifi. Nice bar inside and breakfast was excellent. I also had afternoon tea here in the rear of the hotel and thoroughly enjoyed it. Beautiful view. I can't say enough about how friendly and nice the staff is. They even helped us with some early breakfast before opening one morning. Great bartender there too. The location is also fantastic. Walk to everything. I'd love to go back on my next trip.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nick a
Reviewed 17 August 2014

The hotel has a perfect central location with very nice gardens. The public areas are set in a historic building and have a good mix of the old and the new with modern paintings. Our bedroom was good, but did not really have any wow factor for the price.
Breakfast was good and served in an historic panelled room, but the service was not excellent and the cooked breakfast arrived whilst we will still eating our cereal and the bowls were not cleared until we had finished everything.
We found the receptionists very impersonal and they really just asked for our name and credit card on arrival and then just asked for our credit card on departure. There was no proper interaction and they were just there to get you in and get you out.
Car parking is also an issue and we were told that we could not park at the hotel and that we should park at the train station. Unfortunately, our car had been vandalized overnight.
We were also kept awake with shouting from the side of the hotel or High Street.
Overall, the hotel is very interesting, but it not good value for money.

Room Tip: Garden facing room may be better.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alastair C
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Full of old world charm, the building dates back to the 16th century and is right in the centre of Lewes. The décor adds a touch of modernity, a bit of fun and some cautious funkiness!
I have stayed there before two years ago when my Mum and I make our annual pilgrimage to the opera at Glyndebourne … and on the strength of that, I booked again this year, after going elsewhere in 2013 (as it was fully booked for my date) and not being satisfied.
This time we had a smaller room than before, - Room 6 on the first floor overlooking the garden – and I think it would have been great for one person, but was a bit crowded for two in my opinion!!
However, the bed was large and comfortable, well decorated there was a great view out the window and just about enough space to contain me and all the luggage . And my Mum!
The bathroom was small and pokey, it had no natural light coming and not enough room to put anything down or store any of your own bits. It also lacked basics like towel hooks in handy places once you’ve started using the towels. The sink basin wall was too shallow to contain the trajectory of the water when you turned the tap on at a healthy flow so water splashed everywhere! (If I could have a Euro for every hotel I visit and this is the case ... I’d be rich – it’s a really commonly overlooked feature in hotel bathroom design!)
Apart from that, the bathroom did have nice high quality fittings and the bath itself was really great for a good relaxing soak!
The room could have done with a fridge to chill drinks!
The WIFI was free and seemed to work well enough and the desk area was also OK.
Last time we stayed there we had arrived in time for lunch at the restaurant which was fantastic … but this time I arrived with absolutely no time to spare, and literally had to throw the luggage in, quick-change and zoom straight to the opera.
When we came back later we had a drink in the bar - which was fantastic as I remember it being before – really chilled atmosphere, very friendly, cosy and cool with a great selection of drinks
The staff generally were all very friendly, helpful, welcoming … and nothing was a problem.
There’s a very small car park, so it’s worth remembering that unless you are lucky you won’t get in there. My Mum and I both drove, and she had to leave her car down in the station car park which cost £11 for overnight.
I will definitely stay there again. Although on this occasion I thought £200 for a few hours sleep was a little pricey … next time I would ensure it was less of a flying visit and make a plan to spend more time there enjoying the garden, the restaurant and the room.
Also, if sharing a room again – I’d book a bigger one!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights in a
small room with tiny bathroom at the top of the house. A large skylight with no blackout above the bed kept us awake from 5.30 onwards. Lovely view of the Downs though.
The whole hotel feels rather shabby (not at all chic) and was frankly rather dirty.
Loud rock music in the bar was disturbing and considering most of the guests were attending a wedding or going to Glyndebourne wasn't really appropriate. Eventually someone asked for them to turn it down.
The service was pleasant but haphazard. Stood in reception twice trying to find someone to help us. The bar staff couldn't find anyone either. Alot of staff just standing around and chatting not even saying hello to guests. We always felt vaguely in the way. I would say to the manager, you really need to get your staff some customer service training.
Totally understand the restricted parking space but felt mildly ripped off having to pay 6.50 a day.
On the plus side the gardens are lovely and the breakfast was good.
However I would not recommend this hotel. Its expensive for what you get.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
The Shelleys
#2 of 2 in Little Horsted
The Grand Brighton
The Grand Brighton
#10 of 43 in Brighton

Been to Pelham House? Share your experiences!