“Lost it's way”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is not the Jolly Sportsman it once was. Hadn't been there for quite a while as many friends had reported poor service and poor food but still the same over inflated prices - they were not wrong. It was the worst eat out experience we've endured for a long time. Obviously others agree as there was no need to book on this Friday night, very few tables taken.
We'll not go back there until there is new management (as surely there has to be any time soon).

3  Thank pwlit

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We were so looking forward to our visit to the 'jolly sportsman' as it has a good reputation, is in a lovely location and has a beautiful garden.

Unfortunately we were so disappointed. This lovely potential has fallen for the need to be so 'Gastro' that it has lost it's pub quality.

The menu is fine, if there were alternative 'snack' choices, but even the very small 'snack' options are over pretentious. All we wanted was a quiet light pub lunch in pretty surroundings, but that was not possible.

If you are looking for a fairly highly priced restaurant, that probably caters well for special occasions, I am sure the Jolly Sportsman is fine; just avoid it if you are looking for a country pub as it simply doesn't hit the mark.

We would certainly visit again for the beautiful surroundings, but not to eat. Having said that, they appear to get a great deal of repeat business, so I must surmise that the food is very good, if that is what you are looking for.

2  Thank barneyquinn
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I booked this restaurant for my parents as part of their Golden Wedding Anniversary celebrations as they were staying in the area and they have just to told me that they had the most wonderful time. They were warmly greeted and offered a glass of local champagne, which they enjoyed so much that after their lunch they went to the local vineyard to buy a couple of bottles! They ate from the two course lunch menu, Mum opted for the salt cod with pea veloute, whilst Dad had duck fillet and heart with hazelnuts, they both had Guinea Fowl and they felt that the food was exquisite as for the puds...beyond exquisite; the chocolate Armagnac and prune with salted caramel icecream and the apricots in grappa with icecream were by far the best puddings they have ever eaten, as actually was all the food and they eat out a lot, in very nice places! The wine, the cheese and the coffee were also fantastic. My parents have asked me to pass on their thanks to the staff for their warm welcome and attentive service and of course for the lovely gesture of a glass of 'fizz'. Also for the help in selecting a red! Wonderful restaurant, marvellous food, don't hesitate to go you won't regret it!

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I came here for a wedding rehearsal dinner and had a wonderful meal. We felt very welcome and all the staff that served us were friendly and really accommodating. I had the poached egg and asparagus starter and it was perfectly cooked. It's rare to get arancini on a menu here and it was delicious! For main course I had the spring vegetable tart with dauphinoise potatoes and it was also very tasty. The portions aren't massive but the food is quite rich and the quality is very good so you don't want a huge pile of food. I didn't need a dessert. I didn't pay for the meal but I saw the prices and it seemed reasonable for what you get, which is a delicious meal, prepared with care, served in very pleasant surroundings by helpful and friendly staff. I'd definitely recommend it to others and plan to return myself soon.

2  Thank amy_VG
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Rob and his team at the Jolly Sportsman did a fantastic job of hosting our wedding reception over the May bank holiday weekend. Rob was easy to work with during the planning and made helpful suggestions; and the day itself went without any problems whatsoever. We were provided with a locally sourced and imaginative menu which we received lots of compliments for on the day as the meal was delicious.

We'd been to the Jolly Sportsman many times prior to choosing it as the venue for our wedding, and due to it consistently delivering great service and good food, it was definitely the right choice for such an important day.

We couldn't have been happier with how everything was handled and the honest feedback from all of our guests was nothing but positive, with all staff being efficient, courteous and hard-working. We'd most certainly recommended the Jolly Sportsman for either a lunch meal, a delicious dinner or entrusting Rob with one of the most important and costly days you're likely to have.

Robert W, Manager at The Jolly Sportsman, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you very much for your kind words. We all thoroughly enjoyed working that day, I'm glad that came across. Your guests were great and the atmosphere created was fantastic.
We all wish you all the best for the future.
Warmest regards,